Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day One’s a thing of the past? Weekenders 23 - 26 September 2022

Notices

Old 09-21-2022, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Day One’s a thing of the past?

Weekenders 23 - 26 September 2022

When attempting to stop drinking many times over the years I always ended up failing miserably and starting over again and again.

I couldn’t understand how alcohol could have such power over me so much so I’d usually fall at the first hurdle.

Until I found there was a way I could stop drinking and be happy doing so. It didn’t seem possible to me to have happy and sober in the same sentence.

When I found SR I was a few months sober but going through hell, or so it felt. So I was willing to learn how to have a life after booze with no more day 1’s.

Reading experiences from other like-minded members who had travelled this road before me gave me sober tools and sober muscles to keep moving further down the road.

Until Day 1’s we’re a thing of the past.

Does ‘no more day 1’s’ sound like something you want in your life? If so there are many people here like yourself who started their journey on Day 1 who can help you.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 09-21-2022, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun and yes, no more Day 1 blues please! I am determined that I had my last one December 31, 2021.

I am thankful for the many lessons all those previous Day 1s taught me, and that I didn’t give up, but I am more than ready to stay off the relapse hamster wheel for good, and get on with building my life-long sober life.

The stubborn hope of moderation, plus stressors inside myself and out, and finally by not making enough effort to find healthy ways of coping were the main reasons I kept putting myself back a Day 1 over and over and over.

I can be done with Day 1. I know it is possible—I see so many here on SR doing it. Thank you!

Old 09-21-2022, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great post Hawkeye. Congratulations on Shotgun!
Old 09-21-2022, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

repeated post elsewhere
Big walk
Next to an expressway- few other people with dogs. Roxy goes mental seeing other dogs. I shorten her leash length (NO CHOKE collars!)and keep walking. Until recently all the services/buildings govt owned-2 goals, a big nursing home and a secure facility for prisoners with mental health issues (I worked there as an RN for a time. Lots of vacant land...which seems logical...nowhere for escapees to hide. But developers have moved in with speed. Land plots marked, and the 'happy families', lifestyle billboards- huge ones...with professional couples-laughing with friends over coffee, or at the gym....Call me a finder of 'that which will never be'... but I wouldn't build a house with 2 prisons as neighbours. National public holiday marking the passing of QLizzy2.
I'm trying to stay discipined enough to heed my own advice....walked about 14k. Brain whispers 'go for a personal best , push,push...'
Replace exercise with drinking....'one more drink won't hurt, go for it'.
That compulsive way of thinking-should,have to, must!
Soldier on peoples, but do so with care.

Attached Images
Old 09-21-2022, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

PJ, don’t wear yourself out, will you.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Shotgun!
Old 09-21-2022, 10:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beat ya but how bout we share it this week?
Old 09-21-2022, 10:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hello weekenders! . I laid down at 2:30 pm Wed and woke up at 10 pm Wed. When I woke up, the pain had returned.

(((PJ))), that's a good picture of your sweet Roxy. She looks very comfy sleeping all curled up. . I'm so glad you adopted her and are giving her a good life. I'm glad you two have each other.

As to Day One's... I've had too many of them and am glad that is over. . I was desperate to succeed and was frustrated that I kept relapsing. . But with the help and love I found here, I'm done with Day One's. .

To any newcomers, or anyone trying again, it is possible to get sober and have a happy life. . It takes some effort to get sober, but the rewards are worth the effort.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Shotgun (joint) Hawkeye and calmself!
Old 09-21-2022, 10:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had a post and for some reason, it disappeared.

(((PJ))). I love seeing pictures of Roxy. . She looks very contented, lying all curled up.

I laid down for a nap at 2:30pm and woke up at 10 pm. When I woke up, the pain had returned. . I took Billie out and then, fed her. We'll go back to bed shortly.

Was talking to the home health nurse and told her that I belong to a sobriety forum and have made many friends here. I didn't giver her any identifying details tho.

Oh, never mind, I see it.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Shotgun (joint) Hawkeye and calmself!
yipppeeee..thanks Mags and Hawkeye!!!!
Old 09-21-2022, 10:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I’m in for another sober weekend.

I think my journey used to be a bit like Hawkeye’s used to be, if my understanding is correct from her posts above and elsewhere. Long periods of sobriety happily maintained, but interspersed and spoilt by giving in to stubborn attempts at moderation, some that seemed to be succesful for quite a while, until they weren’t anymore. This may sound strange, but I still consider this as progress, bearing in mind that for some time I had no intention of ever quitting. I am slowly but surely (with the emphasis on surely) coming to the realisation that the only way out for me is not to pick up again, ever.

With that said, I look forward to spending a sober weekend with you all.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

My last day 1 was 1421 days ago. It is no secret that I do struggle at times the av beats its drum and I enter turmoil. Other times it is silent as the night, those times I cherish.

Moderation I tried before my drinking escalated to all day everyday. A fruitless mission, might as well of been walking up a downward escalator. I was never going to reach my goal. Getting sober feels the same but the difference is it is achievable.

Without SR I don't think I would of ever succeeded, even then it took me 4 years. I didn't believe it could be done. Happy to say I was wrong .
Old 09-22-2022, 01:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I associate the idea of another day one with going back and hanging out with one of my exes.

In for the weekend!
Old 09-22-2022, 01:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for a sober weekend.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There were many alternating days of just being too sick to drink, but so many Day Ones in which I would proclaim to have quit until maybe 2 PM. Thank goodness that time is over.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me- I always dhose to give up booze without much help...because asking for help is a weakness. I am one of those unfortunates who lost everything, starting with my life. I have only a few who can match the final rock bottom Booze is insidious. Asking for help is showing strength, courage and regaining control over our lives. I isn't just doing the suggested stuff-like a GP review, D/A counsellor, meetings and so on.
It is a midset. Stopping drinking to me- meant a huge change of how I saw/see myself and my perceptions of the big, wide world. Simple stuff like having a practical routine, taking the garbage out....self esteem/respect of self. It begins with you.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

To get something like pleasure from just walking my dog. Or able to remember stuff...apparently when coming out of another induced coma, those caring for me in hospital, thought my cognition was so bad..I would need a carer to help with showering, shopping, paying bills. That wasn't the case long term...but it was down to 2 choices- keep drinking and die a slow, very lonely death, There would be no excuses/reasons to rationalise to hide behind.
Choice 2...stop boozing and fight to live a better life.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dog22.jpg (15.2 KB, 143 views)
Old 09-22-2022, 03:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

You made the right choice PJ.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am grateful to say that I feel I’ve had my last day 1. The struggle ended for me when I realized that sobriety was a gift, not a punishment. It took a while for that to sink in, but I do not waver from that belief any longer. It’s been 406 days, and on the hard days, this place gives me strength and encouragement, on the good days, we celebrate together. Thanks for this topic, Mags, and count me in for a sober weekend with this fabulous group.