Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day One’s a thing of the past? Weekenders 23 - 26 September 2022

Notices

Day One’s a thing of the past? Weekenders 23 - 26 September 2022

Old 09-22-2022, 04:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I'm in.

No more day 1's. No mercy for the AV.

Have a great Thursday everyone and happy first day if fall
Old 09-22-2022, 04:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Mags, great thread as always and thanks to everyone responding. It is helping me keep my focus. I had several day 1s and each one got harder and harder. Initally I thought it could just be a flip of a switch and I would be done. Well, as you all know that is not the case. This last one and the several days after were darn tough and a situation I never want to experience again. I need to stay in the present and not be a passive participant.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

“NO MORE DAY ONES!”

What a relief to say, what a miracle to believe, and what a great choice to live.

Thanks Mags
Old 09-22-2022, 04:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great opening to the thread Mags. No more day 1s for me! Day 11 today though so any 1s in my day from here on in are welcome as long as they aren’t alone.

Hope you have a great weekend all!
Old 09-22-2022, 05:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for another sober weekend!

Thank you Mags!

Congratulations on shotgun Hawkeye!

For us problem drinkers Day One, a whole day without a 'drink' is a daunting undertaking but it is worth remembering that is the normal, default setting for most people, they go a day or several days without thinking about it and although we will always remain alcoholics or whatever your preferred term is, it is possible to get back to that 'normal' way of thinking whereby you don't miss booze for days or weeks at a time and even then it is only a faint and short lived feeling. Non of have complete control over our lives but sober is far better than being a slave to a chemical.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'M IN!
I sincerely hope I never have another Day One. I had a bunch of them, but they were not "real." Meaning, I would swear I was quitting while in the throes of a hangover or recovering from another horrible thing I had done or said while drinking, but looking back, I never really meant it when I said that to myself. I really had no intention of actually quitting. It was just something I'd say to myself, and it really meant nothing. I could not actually FATHOM stopping for good.

Until December 4, 2016, when I hit yet another bottom, and something shifted inside me. That was my first REAL Day One. And so far, my only Day One. 2,850 days later, I still clearly remember that feeling of surrender and realization that I didn't even recognize myself anymore, and the way I was going through life was not what I wanted. It was not the real me. I didn't really know who the real me even was anymore. I just knew it wasn't someone who lied, shirked responsibilities, manipulated people, and was just generally miserable. I Pretty much hated myself. I'm finally figuring out who I am again, and that's a good feeling. Universe willing, I'll never go back to that hell I was living.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm in. No more Days 1's for me.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I will never have another day one cause I'll never drink again.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I am in.

I had many attempts at moderating and failed to be able to have just 1 or 2 drinks a night. My first and hopefully only day one was December 17, 2020. At the time I was pretty sure I needed to quit for good but at first thought maybe I could try to moderate again. But now I know I cannot moderate. My continuing PAWS and the acute withdrawal that I had have convinced me that alcohol is poison and I am done. I only wish I had quit sooner.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Like Marty I had a lot of Day 1's that were not genuine leastways not past about 4pm when I knew I would be buying booze later. Btw I think Marty inadvertently knocked 2 years off of her sober tally as it should be Dec '14 same as me but 3 weeks ahead.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Good to realise that once we’re out of the clutches of alcohol we never want to go back there.

We can’t help thoughts popping in our head, I know they do mine, but it’s what we do with the thoughts that’s important. Just letting the thought go and pass through is important because once we ‘feed’ the thought it will pester us like a young child pesters their mum knowing she’ll give in ‘cos she always does.

Have a good sober day Weekenders. Love and hugsxxxx

Old 09-22-2022, 09:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 1 is basically like a big inauguration of the alcohol freeway and getting onto it without knowing when the next exit will come. For few, there might be no further exits.
End of Day 313 for me - good night from Seattle.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Today is day one of the rest of my life

Yesterday an engineer was booked to come between 8 and 1, I couldn't walk the dogs or anything. Anyway they didn't come so I phoned at 1 o clock and was told they weren't coming as held up. I said I understand that stuff happens but not that they didn't let me know. I got the fixed response of I can only apologise. The appointment was rebooked for Saturday and I was told I must let them know if I am unable to keep it!! At that point I told them what I thought.

Any Brits seen the Holly and Phil queue memes?
Old 09-22-2022, 11:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders.

Kaily, one really needs nerves of steel to deal with some of these contractors and then such audacity! I hope all goes well on Saturday. The opening line of your post suddenly reminded me of this old song.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Captain, so do I.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Friday check-in….(it is Friday, right?!)

Thinking of those in the path of Fiona….never heard of a hurricane hitting Canada before! Yikes!
Old 09-23-2022, 05:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Mr

Salutations weekenders,
Thanks Mags...
Im in too.

Happy to be sober with my day 1 in the rear view... Marty's post rang my bells, after so many half hearted day 1s feeling the real one, the surrender, hardly recognizing yourself anymore, knowing... There is plenty of help around to get and stay sober but as mags put it "All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you."

Looking forward to the weekend and some hiking maybe. Also got a bonus yesterday in this months pay so maybe we will go out to ŕ restaurant over the weekend too...

Take it easy all....
Vinny

Old 09-23-2022, 05:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ahh Day 1s... Plan to the minute for no alcohol, do everything to avoid alcohol, descend into withdrawal psychosis, then a massive seizure... NO, I do not want another Day 1!

Thank you Mags for the thread, good to have a reminder that we are well and truly done. Sun's shining so I'm off for a stroll by the sea and a coffee. Onwards with another sober weekend for which I'm very grateful.

All the best. Forwards.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Sao is right - I cheated myself out of two whole years... Sobriety date is December 4, 2014, not 2016!!

Good to see everyone. Vinny, hiking and a restaurant are in my plans this weekend as well. We only have a few weeks before winter begins to set in, so I'm determined to get out hiking as much as I can before then. I really hate winter, so autumn is a difficult time for me. I'd love to live someplace a bit more temperate, but I fear I might be stuck here for the rest of my life. I do try to take a vacation someplace warm every January, and that helps a little.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new Weekenders chapter Mags

I'm in for another fine sober weekend! ☼