Sober Independence Weekenders 01 - 04 July 2022

Old 07-04-2022, 11:27 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck today Mags!

Well done calmself.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:58 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

3.5h , 15km, 3 walks...Roxy is knackered. The muzzle harness prevented her attacking 3 silent organisms, which were all silent but dog got supernose. A pigeon in long grass, a rat dog hiding and a cat. Credit to her- well behaved otherwise .See GP first thing tomorrow about status quo- re depression/meds, so an early start. I also got 2h study in.
Attached Images
Old 07-05-2022, 01:53 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Sao, anonymity was a big concern for me at first also, which is still evident by my bogus SR name. Now, I just hope that I can be a positive example for those who are, or are in the process of becoming like I was.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:08 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Magsie

Calmself congratulations on 233

Thanks for the kind thoughts. All went ok at hospital except for the traffic. It was bedlam on the roads. I’ve now used Bedlam, abominable, nightmare and terrible to describe the traffic. There’s not enough roads for all the vehicles. Especially the slip roads.

Kaily, yes I hope so. My fingers are certainly moving in the right direction. (Not on the yellow pages from the old ads).
Old 07-05-2022, 07:32 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hi everyone,
Just checking in. Had a busy weekend going up to the cabin Friday to mow (came right back Friday evening), getting things done around my house, taking the convertible out, hiking, stuff like that. It was nice, except for people in my neighborhood lighting fireworks three nights in a row, until late at night (11:30, last night). So I didn't get the sleep I like to get. You are supposed to have a special permit to light the sort of fireworks that explode in the sky around here, but no one bothers and the police simply do not enforce it. My little Chauncey used to get so scared.

Granddaughter did get to go home a day early (Friday) and she is doing well. I'll be with her at their house tomorrow. Trying to work remotely. I'll see how that actually goes... I do have one meeting I need to be in. She is old enough to be quiet while I'm doing that.

You are doing a great job with Roxy, PJ. She will be calm and obedient soon. Perhaps you could look into some sort of training classes to do with her?
Old 07-05-2022, 08:27 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

MLD51, good to hear your granddaughter is doing well.

Someone was setting off fireworks near where I live one night last week. As there's nowhere near me that sells them at this time of year I can only assume someone had some left over from New Year and decided to set them off.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:08 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

We have fireworks stores and stands all over the place here. It's ridiculous. I live in a state where they are legal to sell (states differ) and we live close to the border with Minnesota, where all but the smallest things are illegal (they can't sell anything that leaves the ground). So folks from Minnesota come over in droves to buy them here. Like I said above, you are supposed to have a special permits to buy and light the bigger ones here, but it's largely overlooked and to get the license to buy them, all you have to do is sign a form and show your driver's license. Then you are are supposed to get a permit to light them where you live, but it's such a joke. I was at a wedding celebration once where they were shooting off LOTS of big fireworks, like almost a professional show, and they had no permit. A neighbor complained, the police came, told them to stop, but in a way that made it clear they really didn't care and they didn't issue any citations.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:38 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Runing scared, we have that type of life jacket for when we go sailing. The only problem with that type is you have to be alert to use it. If a boom swings over and knock you out and overboard it will do nothing, or if you fall into cold water your muscles will seize up and will often lend you incapacitated. If I was your son and fishing alone I would definitely wear one. You never know what could happen. Teaching sailng and growing up on Lake Ontario I have seen quite a bit. I was just remembering last night of a person I know that was out on his boat with his young daughters when a power boat that was out of control ran into them amputating both of his legs and obvioulsy tossing them into the water. Luckily both him and his daughters had life jackets on.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:13 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad your grandaughter is doing well Marty.

I try to minimise my Covid exposure by walking to and from work but I probably get the London Underground train for the homeward leg a couple of times a week as sometimes I'm too tired or lazy to walk and of course sometimes the weather is bad. A few weeks ago maybe one in eight or ten people wore a mask in the carriage (me being one of them) This last week or so that has changed to about one in three. It's definitely back here.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:46 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Mags!
Have a great day all. Hoping for a good one here. I have to run a bunch of errands for mummy today and I don't feel like it. I need to go to the pharmacy too and pick up some scripts and gets a few things. It's so hot today, it kind of takes it out of you. Can't wait for the A/C to get fixed Friday.
Love and peace to you all! 💖💌☮💫💞💕
Old 07-05-2022, 01:27 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

It's not too hot here in the UK Alysheba but that's the way I like it. I'm not a big lover of hot weather.

I've just got back from an evening walk. It's only 15c (59f) outside but that's perfect for me. Unusually it was quite quiet outside with not many people around.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:30 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

I can't believe I forgot to subscribe to the new thread last week....doh!!! I could have friends to talk to about the tennis. Sigh. Anyone besides me watching? I LOVE WIMBLEDON!

Old 07-05-2022, 01:41 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I can't believe I forgot to subscribe to the new thread last week....doh!!! I could have friends to talk to about the tennis. Sigh. Anyone besides me watching? I LOVE WIMBLEDON!

I love Wimbledon too! I was watching it earlier this evening when British player Cameron Norrie beat David Goffin to set up a semi-final match with Novak Djokovic 🎾
Old 07-05-2022, 01:44 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

It's funny though....he was born in Sth Africa, grew up in NZ and America, but he is British....his accent cracked me up. Talk about a mix.

That was a fantastic match....as was Novak/Sinner. And I adore On Jabeur....
Old 07-05-2022, 01:45 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

This is the first year in a looong time I've watched, it's been fun seeing new faces and old ones. I was rooting for Tsitsipas in the mens singles, since he lost I'm just seeing who will make the final!
Old 07-05-2022, 01:55 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I don't know who is on which side of the draw....so I don't know if it can end up being Nadal/Djokovic....off to check....ok....so we are on track for Kyrgios to meet Nadal....now that is what everyone has been waiting for. What happens when the fastest player in history comes up against the slowest? As good as Kyrgios is, can he beat Nadal? Well, yes, he can and he has. Their headers are 5-3 Nadal, with Kyrgios beating Nadal just a few months ago.

But can Kyrgios beat Djokovic? Well, he has, and he holds the lead in that head to head. So hmm.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:50 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

The women's side is just as exciting....there is a 34-year-old mum playing, a wonderful player who took time out to have kids and then came back, and the crowd ADORES her....her surname is Maria. And Ons Jabeur is another amazing story, a Tunisian tennis player that has all of Africa behind her. (And the two are friends, and are playing each other next). And Simona Halep (previous winner who almost retired due to injury last year) is playing Anna Anissimova, an American who is finding her very best tennis in this tournament (she destroyed Coco Gauff), and just wow....

Also, it was incredibly nice of them to put Wimbledon on during my break from school.
So yes, I am watching ALL of it.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:29 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

It's funny though....he was born in Sth Africa, grew up in NZ and America, but he is British....his accent cracked me up. Talk about a mix. ...
Which player is this, venuscat?
Old 07-05-2022, 03:32 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Cameron Norrie. xx
Old 07-05-2022, 05:32 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I'm sorta rooting for Norrie...