Notices

Sober Independence Weekenders 01 - 04 July 2022

Old 06-29-2022, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Independence from alcohol.

Three words potent enough to begin to give us our lives back from the chains of addiction.

Before I got sober, my life was ruled by alcohol, ruled by my next drink and I was a slave to addiction. Nothing could interfere with my drinking.

When I became sober, I had no chains holding me down, no weekend binges, no embarrassments from blackouts and all the things I said and did when drunk, and no hangovers.

It’s a fight worth fighting,

And it’s a fight you can win.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 06-29-2022, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mags

D
Old 06-29-2022, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thanks for a great opening post mags.

I'm not calling it.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Shotgun!
Old 06-29-2022, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee! Feeling better today with the virus although typical symptoms persist. Took the meds, off to the beds. Good night from sleepy Seattle!
Old 06-29-2022, 11:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear CalmSelf

D
Old 06-30-2022, 12:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Mags.

Yes it's nice not to have to be scheming and planning alcohol purchase and consumption. A tricky one for me was having enough to last the evening but not enough for there to be any left to drink in the middle of the night or next morning. Then as things progressed I didn't care anymore and drank morning noon and night.

My recovery was/is a slow process. My cravings lasted years rather than months and I developed a food addiction in the process. That said I don't regret a moment of it and getting sober is my biggest accomplishment in my life. I talk about it with pride.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun calmself pleased to hear you’re feeling bit better.

Kaily, it truly is a great accomplishment, I think. It’s the hardest thing I did initially. Except for walking on the moon. Oh no I haven’t done that yet.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Saturday is CK's 33rd birthday. I don't know if they'll do anything special or not. I would imagine they'll do something to celebrate. Hard to believe it's been 33 years since she was born....

And yes I agree, life is so much easier and simpler without having to always have alcohol close by. Looking back it's hard to believe I used to live that way... Well, never again!
Old 06-30-2022, 01:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Calmself did you get the 5 day prescription? I took it, but didn’t notice much improvement… I think it just kept it from getting worse…hope you and your family are doing ok

I’ll be pet sitting with two dogs this weekend, but not far from home….hopefully I’ll be able to comfort them during the neighborhood noise…I like the idea I saw online last year: Sending a donation to a local animal shelter instead of spending the money on fireworks.

In for another sober weekend!

Old 06-30-2022, 02:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the operning post Mags

I'm IN for a sober weekend, my 6th consecutive one. It's definitely sober independence weekend.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

July 1st is Canada day. No celebrations for me tho. just another opportunity to sleep in.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mags, and Kaily, thanks for sharing and posting. I too was like this and alcohol was ruling my life, it was a priority to me, as sad and ridiculous as that sounds. Your posts make feel not alone. I am so very happy to free of it and to not "hide" it. I put hide in quotes because of course that was just an allusion, Mr. Alpine new exactly what I was doing.
Mags, thanks for this thread.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FREEDOM!

Priceless
Old 06-30-2022, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for another sober weekend!

Thanks Mags, you're on top form in your opening post. There are very few things in life that are worse than being a slave to ethanol and none of them are voluntary. As Fishkiller said, freedom from it is priceless. When I was drinking, I was fearful of a life without it but of course that was the booze doing my thinking as the life I was living was awful and life without booze is a huge improvement and nothing to be afraid of.

This is for you Mags:

Old 06-30-2022, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

...ps 4th of July weekend and its a lousy 17C/63F in London.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all-
Good post Mags, Freedom indeed!
Old 06-30-2022, 06:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

42nd weekend, my LAST 42nd weekend.

Freedom if I choose.

I choose freedom 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Old 06-30-2022, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN!
Thanks, Mags. Independence from alcohol, indeed. Best thing I ever did was shake off those chains.

Not feeling much like celebrating this weekend... I won't get into it, but things are complicated here in the states and celebrating a patriotic holiday doesn't feel right to me.

Also, my granddaughter is in the hospital. She developed an infection in her hip joint and had emergency surgery on Tuesday night to drain the fluid and install a drain. She's 7. They don't know exactly what caused it, but my daughter took her to the emergency room Tuesday afternoon when her fever got to 104 and she couldn't put weight on her right leg. She's on strong IV antibiotics and they are trying to determine what sort of bacteria it is (waiting for cultures to grow). She will be there until Saturday, probably. I went to see her yesterday (she's at a very good pediatric hospital). She's doing well, but it's going to be some time before she's back to her usual very active self. They are always worried that an infection like this will get into the bones, but it looks like they got it in time. Hopefully. It's been a very worrisome couple of days.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty, so sorry to hear your granddaughter is in hospital. Bless her having an operation. it is worrisome for you all. Hope she’s soon feeling better and soon back home.