Notices

Sober Independence Weekenders 01 - 04 July 2022

Old 07-02-2022, 10:42 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

I'm still struggling with tiredness and loss of appetite post Covid. My appetite is so poor that my GP prescribed me these protein drinks called Fortisip- strawberry flavour. I remember before my Gran died she used to have to drink these as a supplement. They are as vile as I remember as I tasted one at my Grans house. Oh well I got them and paid for them so I better use them. When I eventually collected them from the chemist, brought them home, took them our of the bag looked at them...I was instantly transported back in time to my Grandma's house. Isn't it amazing how an object or a picture or a colour or image can evoke such clear memories for us?

On a video chat with my therapist last Thursday she said "yes I can still hear in your voice that its a bit croaky'.

There's a lot I would like to talk about but since there's the 4th of July coming up, I will leave it as I don't want to spoil anyone's weekend. Too bad it's not a holiday here in Ireland. My mum often used to cook us a steak and baked potato here and a lime cheese cake for "our 4th of July". We did live in Portland Maine for a year when I was 9 - 10 years old and we spent that summer camping all over America.

I might have to start my own thread over the next few days when I feel a bit better so that I do not upset people.

Anyway I'll be alright eventually. Just sitting in the backyard with my newspapers.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Take care,
Tetra
Old 07-02-2022, 10:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Take care Tetra. As awful as they might taste, hopefully the Fortisip will help give you some energy. According to Dr Google there's 300 calories in each 200ml bottle.

My appetite is fine though I think I've met my match this evening. I fancied a meal from the local Chinese takeaway, the first time I've been there for a few months. I got my usual meal of choice but halfway through I was full and simply couldn't eat any more. As I don't like keeping most takeaway food until the next day I've just binned the rest. A waste of (half) a meal. It's not too long ago since I would have been able to eat the whole lot but not now.

Back to watching Wimbledon now.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:31 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Tetra, come over to the whiner's group where whining is expected..LOL. No seriously, it is a great group to vent, complain, whine, etc.. People there offer so much support, empathy, insight, etc.

Whiners Anonymous Part 317 ~ Whine-Not Join Us? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 07-02-2022, 01:49 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Tetra, I hope you will begin to feel better soon, also that you might find some tempting and nourishing "invalid food" that's easily digestible and helps build you up.
Meanwhile the prescribed supplements will help.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:32 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Tetra, sorry you are not very well. Fingers crossed the protein drinks help.

Someone calling themselves Captain Haddock has finished 2 places above me in an online golf tournament. Not "our" CH I expect as he is unlikely to play for a Swedish gang.

Attached Images
Old 07-02-2022, 09:27 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

lol Sao! No that isn’t me. Neither I am the player who finished one spot ahead of you.

What a great match it was at Wimbledon between Nick Kyrgios and StefanosTstitsipas. I just hope Kyrgios can keep it together and not end up getting disqualified for poor conduct in one of the next rounds. He sure is talented and a good entertainer. It almost seemed in the post match interview that he believed the interviewer when she jokingly said that he hid his frustration well during the match.

Hope everyone is having a good sober weekend.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

CaptainHaddock, is Kyrgios like McEnroe. He could be ‘excitable’ back in the day. Though nowadays you can’t argue with the umpire if a ball was out.

Sun’s up. Looks like a good day ahead. Woodpecker is tapping away at the nut feeder. They work hard for their food, do birds.

I was looking back on some of my old posts. I was ‘floundering’ and feeling lost a lot at the beginning. Someone posted back to me words I’ll never forget.

“The good news.
We sober up and see things as they are
The bad news.
We sober up and see things as they are
I have been told to not do anything major in the first year because while our mind is clearer it still is stablizing”

Love to all Weekenders xxxx

Old 07-02-2022, 10:33 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

lol I was told that the good thing about getting sober is that you get your feelings back. the bad thing about getting sober is getting your feelings back
Old 07-02-2022, 11:31 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Magsie

Absolutely Least. Learning how to have your feelings sober was hard for me and I guess for many of us. It took a good while to adjust. I guess that’s where the recovery comes in.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:22 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

2.5h on 3 walks with dog today. After a chance dog/vet show gave me a thought (!) and after a little google research...I purchased a muzzle lead accessory for dog. A halter that snugly fits around her muzzle, but she can still pant. It clicks together at the rear of her head, at the top of her neck. The leash snaps on a ringlet on the bottom of her muzzle. A marked improvement in behaviour. No lunging at other dogs, walks more closely to my side...
BUT the vet guy on TV was gently rebuking owners of a great dane that goes mental on walks. In Britain, such dog behaviour- if it causes distress to any people, can be put down. The vet told them that would be their fault, not the dogs. HeVincent thought about and painted his art, including technique. He failed miserably as an a got them on the right track. I kina worked out with my anxiety ridden blue heeler gentle, soft voice commands, praise good behaviour, just stand still on walks and wait for her to calm down, or ignore if unwarranted attention seeking behaviour- she kinda yowls- as a yodel. She's cool. Gonna build her and I up to 3h walking time daily. Following guidelines on keeping her fit and stimulated.
When she goes outside for misafternoon siesta, I sit outside and started studying. Reading letters written by Vincent V/G to his bro, Theo, who supported Vincent emotionally and financially and died of grief, overwork and stress 6months after Vincent died (shot himself in stomach, took a long time to die in Theo's arms). The letters, hundreds of them, give a real time idea of how he thought about his art, what he observed in his studies, relationships with colors and technique.
Vincent was a crap art student had to take this yearw to draw' book by a credible arist. After some serious google research, I found and downloaded a copy of the same 'how to' book. I then went to an officeworks, that printed and bound the letters and the how to book for a fraction of the cost on a nice book, No copyright issues.
I did, however treat myself to a very lovely book of Leonardo Da Vinvi's drawing. It comes with Leo's notes- that's adanced drawing study. I took study leave from art school this year 'cos of depression/anxiety. So study at home good- thanks to dog.
Attached Images
Old 07-03-2022, 06:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

After 2.5 hours of brute force and determination I got the tree stump out!

Old 07-03-2022, 07:13 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Well done Kaily! I see a hammer was even put to the task. Of course if it was in my garden I wouldn’t be able to resist the urge to try and make the stump into some or other bonsai.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:37 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well done, Kaily!
PJ, good for you, you're putting in a lot of effort with Ruby.
I've developed metatarsalgia in my left foot, which has curtailed my brisk walks. It's annoying, as I was finding the walks helpful with anxiety. I hope it settles.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:53 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Magsie

Wow Kaily. Good work.

Leshar, I hope it goes away, is there anything you can get to put in your shoes that will help.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:11 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

PJ, I'm so glad you and Roxy and enjoying each other. Sounds just wonderful!
All my love to the weekenders! Watching Wimbledon. 💖💟☮💞
Old 07-03-2022, 10:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
lol Sao! No that isn’t me. Neither I am the player who finished one spot ahead of you.
Yes, there are quite a few guys (it is mostly men) with a "hilarious" sense of humour like the one who finished above me.

Incidentally, after I posted I realised that I had just put my surname out there. When I was first on SR and generally I was anxious about people finding out I was an alcoholic but with 7.5 years of sobriety it is much less of a concern. That must be progress of a sort.

Obviously I still don't go around telling people I'm an alcoholic. I just say to the very few people who ask why I don't drink that I used to be a bit of an all or nothing type of drinker and that it was easier to quit than just have one or two - which is technically true albeit misleading.

Hope you folks the other side of the Atlantic enjoy tomorrow. You will if you stay sober.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:07 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, I thought it was another car inventor/manufacturer name like Saoutchick
Old 07-03-2022, 11:48 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Leshar, well that just stinks. I have been having hip and foot issues too which has stopped my walking for now. My back hasn't been too happy either but at least I can still use my canoe and paddle board.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:22 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Leshar, well that just stinks. I have been having hip and foot issues too which has stopped my walking for now. My back hasn't been too happy either but at least I can still use my canoe and paddle board.
Wear a life jacket! It seems that every year here in Utah we have people drown when their water craft capsizes. This year is no exception.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:34 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Saou, I thought it was another car inventor/manufacturer name like Saoutchick

Lol! Sadly no.