Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020

Notices

Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020

Old 08-08-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Exciting two 60th birthdays. Any plans Mags or Sao? Maybe a skyjump or bungee.

BEELS you are a star.

Back from the park. There is a spot where people take their dogs to swim. It was busy, all shapes and sizes. One particular dog wanted to hump all the others, another was barking at everyone, and a Romanian rescue was so excited by the whole thing that he kept having Zoomies. Alfie had his swim then grumpily kept to himself and growled if anyone came too close.

It was a very hot night (been a while since I had one of those ).

Old 08-08-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Socializing pup-style. So funny. I miss the dog park, but I do have to say I'm glad people are mostly keeping their dogs on-leash at the regular park where I walk...every dog in the history of ever has to either jump up on me or sniff/slobber. I carry a big stick with me to discourage that behavior. I mean, I like dogs, just over ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>> there with your muddy paws, please.

Seenagers
I have not heard that one, Mags. If anyone doesn't act their age(s) it's a bunch of recovering alcoholics - so that is fitting! Happy Almost Birthday, Sao. Is it Mag's birthday too??

I woke up with racing brain this morning. It's better now, but sometimes I just have this thing where my mind wants to dredge up every single bad thing that's ever happened. Stahhhhp.

BEELS, I'm happy you made it through. Chocolate cake > Alcohol.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
That’s the one SirFHaddock. I’ve never seen it so quiet. Most car parks closed. Eerie.
Ah, it opened not long before I was a student in Sheffield, have some not so fond memories of being dragged round that constantly by an ex-girlfriend - which maybe one reason she became an ex I think
Old 08-08-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Buddy of mine sent me a picture of his new puppy they picked up yesterday.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

What a beauty, is it a Pointer or maybe a Weimaraner cross?
Old 08-08-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Aww. Not sure which is cuter, that puppy or that little kid.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

, Sao and Mags!!!!!
Old 08-08-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

CityBoy, very cute puppy. He looks very well-loved already; that little girl looks very happy to have him.

Kaily, dog parks are a riot. It is a hoot to watch the dogs interact.

BEELS, well done. Cookies and milk and chocolate cake - a million times better than alcohol.

and Happy Saturday to all.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

The puppy is a registered catahoula. His last dog hated me for some reason, which is troubling because dogs are usually very perceptive. I hope this one will consider me a friend.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/catahoula-leopard-dog/

Both of my buddy's daughters are sweethearts.

It is interesting to watch dogs interact.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I came to a startling revelation today.....eating healthy food makes me feel healthier. What an epiphany! 🤣
Old 08-08-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
The puppy is a registered catahoula.
Oh we don't have them here. Nice dogs.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Cityboy, ya know what they say about having a friend, right? To have a friend you have to be a friend.

I suggest bacon because bacon is the foundation upon which all friendships should be built. ::nods::

Originally Posted by owen90 View Post
I came to a startling revelation today.....eating healthy food makes me feel healthier. What an epiphany! 🤣
Lol, good one, chef.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Healthy food, yes. I've noticed that drinking a lot of clean water makes me feel better as well. Trouble is that cravings are usually for less healthy food like fried fish, and something other than water like coffee, tea, or sport drink.

I'll remember the bacon suggestion.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
saoutchik

My main plan Kaily is to try and pretend it is not going to happen. I had a parachute jump booked for my 40th but to my everlasting shame I exceeded the weight limit. I took that as a sign not to volunteer for one again as well as cutting down on the pies. Btw - zoomies, lol!

Cute pup (and young person) Cityboy. I havre not heard of one of that breed.

I reckon fried fish is still OK as long as it is fried in something healthy and not coated in breadcrumbs or batter.

Way to go Owen!

Róisín Murphy is a Sheffield Girl, maybe I'll post something by her later.

Thanks for the birthday messages guys, not long to go but I'm not quite there yet.

The Covid19 "R" or reproduction rate is said to have gone equal or above 1 in London. For financial reasons they will hold back as long as they can but I fear some knew restrictions may be in place soon.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
The Covid19 "R" or reproduction rate is said to have gone equal or above 1 in London
I fear that it will turn into a nightmare merry-go-round cycle of lockdowns being lifted and eased endlessly at this point. It's such a chaotic situation.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Saou, I posted on Kk's thread, but in case you haven't read it.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Old 08-08-2020, 11:30 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the kind words guys - I'm starting to realise that my small promotion might actually mean quite a lot more work. Still, I guess that's what they're paying me for. I'm having to do some unpaid overtime this weekend to keep everything on track even as it is.

I've been thinking about how I manage uncertainty quite a bit recently. The routines and habits I have developed in recovery seem to be working well for the things I can influence or control but there are inevitably going to to be times ahead with things I can't. The starting point now is of course, 'I don't drink, no matter what', reminding myself that 'There is nothing that drinking can't make worse'. But how do I deal with uncertainty without worry? Do sober muscles help here as well? Thanks for any tips... Forwards.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
It was a very hot night (been a while since I had one of those ).

Old 08-08-2020, 01:51 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I think you are right Owen, we unlocked too soon although it is not an easy thing to judge I guess.

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Saou, I posted on Kk's thread, but in case you haven't read it.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thank you Tatsy!

ps my actual birthday is in a weeks time. I think my earlier post was misleading.

As promised here is some Róisín Murphy from 20 years ago (20 YEARS!) when she was with Moloko. I'm not certain but I think she was a bit early with the intro, what do you reckon?

https://youtu.be/7roXBhu24EY

Old 08-08-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Whaaaaat????? Fried fish isn’t healthy Cityboy? My doctor told me to eat more fish to reduce cholesterol, and fried is my favourite
In egg, flour, bread crumbs and olive oil
Delish!

Happy almost birthday Sao and Mags (I think)

That’s one super cute catahoula

I went to a BBQ yesterday and was the sober driver. I was the only one out of a dozen or so people not chugging back various forms of grog. Also most likely the only one without a hangover this fine Sunday morning