Notices

Feeling flat

Old 08-13-2020, 12:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling flat

I remember from a previous period of abstinence that my emotions balance themselves out somewhat and become less sporadic, ups and downs. I don't remember how long that took.
I have a diary that I have used to vent some thoughts, good and bad, from previous quitting attempts. It has reasons I start, stop and things I've done good and bad. Currently I don't have the mental strength to read it. Hopefully I can soon because it should help strengthen my resolve.
For now I will not drink and I will take care of my body. In time my mind should heal.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely keep moving forward finalcall - it gets better. I would re read your journal when you can - remind yourself of what you're finally leaving behind

D
Old 08-13-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Finalcall, you’ll read your diary when you’re ready. Till then keep taking a step at a time. It gets easier. You can do this.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep your sobriety your #1 priority and I think you'll do fine. Ups and downs are part of life...sober or not. Better sober though.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalcall View Post
In time my mind should heal.
The word "should" implies doubt. There is room left to NOT heal because lots of things "should" happen, but they don't.

Know that in time, your mind WILL heal, as long as you stay active in your sobriety. 100%.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Finalcall View Post
I remember from a previous period of abstinence that my emotions balance themselves out somewhat and become less sporadic, ups and downs.
For now I will not drink and I will take care of my body. In time my mind should heal.
Hi,

I notice that you wrote about periods of abstinence and staying sober for now, but you didn't write about recovery. Are you on the fence here?

Using words like "should" isn't nearly as empowering as using words like "will" and "am". You have every reason to feel positive about your decision to stop drinking. The consequences of choosing to pick up again as well as the consequences of staying sober permanently are entirely in your hands. Whatever it is you're experiencing right now doesn't have to happen again. Whether it does or not is up to you.

Your mind isn't likely to heal if you start drinking again. I'm no doctor, but I know for myself - at five months sober - I'm not all put back together yet. My thinking and my emotions are still wobbly. I don't know how long you've been drinking, but even bones can take months to heal. What is one good reason not to continue your sobriety indefinitely?