Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020

Notices

Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020

Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

aww, Kaily.

People are super touchy about everything these days. We've all been thrown a huge curveball with the virus and all the new "Rules" that are so ambiguous. I've had two altercations in the past month at the park! The PARK! Where there are hundreds of acres of nothing and only three people. It's like they are going out of their way(s) to be difficult.

I have to say, I feel more alone than I ever have in my life so you're not alone. Wait.

I've been watching my online minister guy. He helps a lot.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

It seems that there will always be jerks in the world, or even just decent people who have jerk moments. It's supposed to help to think that when someone acts like a jerk towards or around you, that perhaps something bad just happened in their life, like they just got laid off or something. I've always terribly wanted my customers to be happy but now realize that its not going to happen in many cases. It's just too deep in human nature to concentrate on the negative aspects of things, even if there is no negative aspect. I know for certain that it has contributed to my dependency on alcohol. Like many other things, the thought processes are proving to be easier to navigate in sobriety. It's still another work in progress though.

I'm reserving my right to complain about rain.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Sorry you are feeling down, Kaily. I don't really know what to say to make you feel better, except that we are all here for support. And that people really can be awful, and that gets me down sometimes, too. Especially lately. It's sad that this whole pandemic has brought out the worst in some people. I just try to remember that everyone has their own set of challenges and I try to give them grace. It's not easy!! I don't always succeed.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hello weekenders! I'm doing well this week. Just went for a long walk with Billie. I can't say it enough - it's such a treat waking up sober and feeling good.

Love to all.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Kaily - sorry to read about what happened in the supermarket queue. Not helped of course by the security guard who was just very dismissive towards you. I hope you don't feel down for too long. Things like that can shake people up but hopefully tomorrow morning you'll feel a lot better. It's easy for me to say this, but try not to let it get you down too much. But yes, I can see how it can leave someone feeling down. Take care

I've just been for a walk. My evening walks are now starting to get earlier with each passing week as the nights start to draw in. I love going for a walk at about 9pm but only in daylight so that's only possible in May, June and July. Then I brought it forward to 8.30pm and now I've just brought it forward again to 8pm. This time next month it will be 7pm, 7.30pm at the latest. Sadly it's a sign that autumn is not too far off... I love autumn but I also like lighter nights!
Old 08-12-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

((Kaily)) - sorry for the man's swearing at you, and for the initial feeble response of the security guard.
Good on you for persisting, and at least he took some action and the man was ejected.
Gah! Horrid experience for you.

Take gentle care of self.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, horrible man in the supermarket, but I wonder and it’s a big wonder if he had Tourette’s. A customer in our bank had it and the staff knew but a lot of customers didn’t know. His language was terrible to all around him. But the guy you saw may have just been a pratt. Hope the French bread helped you. Big hugs for you and Alfie xx

Marty, pleased you had a good weekend, it looks a beautiful place. Hope your knee doesn’t give you too much jip.

I agree about the heat. I’ve got cold hot water bottles, cold gel pads and cool showers. And I’m melting. I could just roll about in snow. In fact I think I’ll go and put my head in the freezer for a minute.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry you had to go through that Kaily. Sounds like the guy has some sort of mental issue or personality disorder.

I took a rare train journey home from work this evening (too hot to walk it) and reading the free newspaper that litters the carriages I read that the UK economy fell by 20.4% in the 2nd Quarter and then over the page I saw a house in London was for sale at £180 million. Strange world.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Did you have gloves on Sao?
I hope so. s xx
Old 08-12-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Me too, there is just no let up. Not even at night!

Oh dear we are all aches, pains and injury's.

A horrible man swore aggressively at me in the supermarket queue today. For nothing. For some reason it really upset me so I reported him to the security guard, who said " what do you want me to do about it". Grrr, I said, so its ok for random people to shout at the customers. Eventually he went up to the guy and asked him why he swore, the guy then did the same to him and got thrown out.

The whole thing left me shaken. What with that, the stifling heat and worry about Alfie, I suddenly had an urge to drink and escape.

Did my next worse thing and binged on french bread.

Feeling despondent and alone.
I am sorry that happened to you....I feel so sorry for people like him.
So much sickness out there. s

Old 08-12-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
In fact I think I’ll go and put my head in the freezer for a minute.
Genius!
Old 08-12-2020, 09:30 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Well, it’s a bit cooler this morning, thankfully. I’ve opened doors and windows to get the temperature down then I’ll close then again to keep it cool inside, hopefully.

Saou, is it still quiet on the underground nowadays? I think last time you was the only one in the carriage. Mind you, it was before everyone went back to work maybe. Re. the news, The world is crazy with its divisions.

Right I’ll get off, see you later for the new thread., xx

Old 08-12-2020, 10:07 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

In fact I think I’ll go and put my head in the freezer for a minute.
Better that than the gas oven!

Thanks for kindness people. I would never normally report anyone after an altercation -believe me I have had worse. Just feeling a bit ultra sensitive and vulnerable. The icing on the cake was the dismissive ignorance of the security guard when I did reach out for help. That was a trigger to remember being scared and alone and before I knew it I was shaking like a leaf -CPTSD. I needed a safe person.

Still no storms here but I suspect they are coming, outside is getting darker rather than lighter this morning.

Sao you better take your wet weather gear.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:48 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning all, yes the sky is the colour of mouse dirt. Rain is possible later. Venus, I did not wear gloves as it is just too hot. Fortunately the train last night was not crowded otherwise I would not have used it. It was about half full.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Sao just seen a classic car show advertised at Capel Manor on the 6th Sept. Just in case you are interested.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:21 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Morning all, yes the sky is the colour of mouse dirt.
‘Mouse dirt’

Kaily, it must’ve been horrific for you. The store security was completely out of order. I apologise if I sounded flippant. I have a habit of making excuses for all the wrongs in people. If someone murdered me I’m sure I’d say it wasn’t their fault.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:17 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Magsie

New Thread Begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...eekenders.html (Sailing away from it all, 14-17 August 2020 - Weekenders)