Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020

Notices

Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020

Old 08-07-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
So this is MB's video

that is what you have to type.
I’m doomed; I’m never going to make it!

Holy Cow; powerful athlete! there.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders,

The meeting went well today I'm pleased to say. Preparing for it, working though it (alert and refreshed though tense) and decompressing afterwards (a cup of tea, a chocolate biscuit and a quick walk around the block) was a great way to build my sober muscles. And the result? I am being promoted to a minor management position just a few weeks into my new job!

This was possible, and only possible, in sobriety. Once again I find myself grateful to you my SR friends for getting me this far. I have contacted my alcohol counsellor to thank her as well. If anyone is reading this and wondering whether getting sober is worth the effort I can assure you it truly is.

Anyway, time for some home cooking now to celebrate... Best wishes to all. Forwards.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Well done, Forwards. Congratulations May this be only one of the many rewards of sobriety.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Well done on the promotion, Forwards
Old 08-07-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Forwards! So good to see when people are moving *forward* in such positive ways.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good video Captain, puppets can be more poignant that actually humans sometimes.

Hey, congratulations on the promotion Forwards.

I am BEAT. Mid morning I had huge stroke of luck. I was concerned thst the company I wanted to subcontract some work to would actually elbow me out of the whole order but it turns out they can't. Due to some internal snafu they forgot to renew their certification and it takes 6 weeks to re-apply. That bad news is that I still haven't landed the actual order yet so as we were. I feel old, tired and incapable. You probably know that feeling of you are over 23.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:57 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

right now it is the middle of the day on friday and those thoughts are creeping in. the after work "i need a beer" thoughts. "weekend is here" thoughts. just when i think i am gaining some control.

i will make a plan to occupy my time this afternoon. find something else to fill that ...what is it? need? habit? the friday afternoon thing.

it cannot be alcohol.
gonna stay here for a while.

B
Old 08-07-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

yeah, BEELS, you have to overwrite those brain pathways. Create a new habit, change your Friday association to something else. You don't drink - so literally anything else but that. Don't let those thoughts spin around. I just say, "No. I don't drink," and turn the page, let the thought go, run up and down some stairs - whatever.

For me, Friday is laundry day. It's also seafood day. So I have stuff to do, food prep and folding... and my walk which is uphill on Friday.

It gets easier. My Friday (and Saturday) would be completely ruined if I added alcohol.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
yeah, BEELS, you have to overwrite those brain pathways. Create a new habit, change your Friday association to something else. You don't drink - so literally anything else but that. Don't let those thoughts spin around. I just say, "No. I don't drink," and turn the page, let the thought go, run up and down some stairs - whatever.

For me, Friday is laundry day. It's also seafood day. So I have stuff to do, food prep and folding... and my walk which is uphill on Friday.

It gets easier. My Friday (and Saturday) would be completely ruined if I added alcohol.
i like those ideas. i like seafood too.
i will go home.
feed my spouse (who has cancer and has a feeding tube right now).
take the dog for a long walk.
touch base with our daughter who is moving into her first apartment (on campus..no dorms as a freshman, so this is big).
eat a good, healthy dinner.
go for a bikeride.
watch a Downton Abbey--something that my partner finds calming.
then hopefully i will be tired enough to just go to sleep.

this is a nagging voice in my head.
but i don't drink.
not on friday. not any other day.
i will stay close.

thanks bimi.

B
Old 08-07-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

You've got it.

It's just a thought. As long as you don't act on it you've done it right, BEELS.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Stay close, BEELS. We are here for you.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Congratulations Forwards.

BEELS it sounds like you have a busy evening planned. Good stuff. Just don't let that pesky, nagging AV get the better of you, its truly not worth it. It will pass. 11 days is great, well done and keep going!
Old 08-07-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done BEELS, hang in there, it will get easier.

https://youtu.be/kIC0aQ56ASE

Old 08-07-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Congratulations Forwards! Great news

Hang in there Beels, stick close, you’ve got this.

Captain that was a very moving video.

Saturday morning here of my 7th consecutive sober weekend.
We’re going to a BBQ this afternoon. My first social outing this time sober. I’d rather not go but can’t get out of this one. My plan is to be the designated driver (partner is happy about that) arrive as late as is acceptable, take my own N/A drinks, leave early.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:00 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Did many of the things. No bike ride, but the rest. Went to the market after helping my daughter buy things for her apartment.

we passed my former drink/s of choice. But we got cookies and milk and a big piece of chocolate cake. After a long day of moving, that’s what she wanted and I made the choice that it was what I wanted too.

sobriety is what I want.

i do not drink.

thanks for the support.

B

Old 08-07-2020, 08:01 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Did many of the things. No bike ride, but the rest. Went to the market after helping my daughter buy things for her apartment.

we passed my former drink/s of choice. But we got cookies and milk and a big piece of chocolate cake. After a long day of moving, that’s what she wanted and I made the choice that it was what I wanted too.

sobriety is what I want.

i do not drink.

thanks for the support.

B

Old 08-07-2020, 11:28 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Fantastic BEELS, well done. Afew more Friday nights and it will get easier.

This is my last Weekender as a 50 something. I had better make the most of it.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:55 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Congratulations Forwards, being sober certainly opens new doors.

Beels, good stuff, being prepared for all eventualities helps us enormously. When I first stopped drinking (seriously this time) I said ‘I don’t drink’ now the problem was, how did I stay stopped drinking? That’s where SR has been my lifesaver and I learnt about my road of recovery.

Willow, Jonathan Livingstone Seagull sounds an interesting read and I’m sure your Jonathan Livingstone Seagull owns that part of the beach. He’s obviously a kind seagull and likes you on his patch.

Saou, mine too, birthday tomorrow. (where did the years go?) Does that mean you’ll be a member of the Seenagers?

I went to MeadowHall yesterday, or as we call it, MeadowHell, to the Apple store. We’d had to book an appointment to see them about Mr. Mags’s phone. I was well impressed by everyone in the store. Temperature taken before you’re allowed in, a lady then asked us our details and took us to some pouffe seats with a table and sears across, all spaced out very well. They got the thumbs up from me.

I feel like we’re living in a surreal world, not being out much since March, it’s so weird.

Have a grand sober weekend. I never tire of waking up hangover free. It’s good to be sober.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:11 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
I went to MeadowHall yesterday, or as we call it, MeadowHell, to the Apple store. :
As in Sheffield? I don't miss that place one bit.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Magsie

That’s the one SirFHaddock. I’ve never seen it so quiet. Most car parks closed. Eerie.