Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020

Notices

Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020

Old 08-06-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Goodnight all of you on the other side of the globe.
It’s all too tricky for me so I’ll stick to photos and just watch the videos that you guys post

And on that note....

Just back from my 30 minute walk.
The only other person on the beach with me today was Jonathon Livingstone ❤️

Old 08-06-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
OX

Go get em sao!
Old 08-06-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thank you for that awesome opening post Mags. I am in for this weekend. Saturday will be a tough one for me as it is my first gig back and it's an outdoor street party thing with lots of alcohol. I will focus on one day at a time and a morning run will help me set me day straight before I head out to that gig. Thank you
Old 08-06-2020, 08:26 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

Focus on the job Copperfield.
Make a recovery plan to deal with the temptations and situations you'll likely face.

There's absolutely no need to relapse if you don't want to

D
Old 08-06-2020, 10:30 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

I thought I’d just arrived at the fifth dimension. though to be fair my brain is not fully alert yet, not having my coffee yet and just orange juice.

Bim sorry about the confusion, I did mean as Suze said, about working in a restaurant.

copperfield, ensure you’re not hungry and have a decision in your head about what you’re going to drink. It gets easier and I found having a ‘go to’ drink in mind saved any questions and helped with temptation. Oh and enjoy your gig.

Willow, great pic, I had to look up Jonathon Livingstone. Not heard of him before. Hiya Jonathon Livingstone

Sunny start here and temperatures are going to soar. Cold hot water bottles in the fridge awaiting.

See you later. Stay safe. xx
Old 08-06-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning all,

Thanks BigShoe!

That looks like an amazing beach Willow.

Good luck copperfield, make sure you can access a favourite non-alcoholic drink of your own. It helps a bit in social situations.

Eyes down for a busy day.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:37 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It’s really beautiful Sao, I’m very lucky to live where I do

Mags I read Jonathan Livingstone Seagull as a teenager, pre-drinking days, and it has stayed in my mind all my life. I kind of equate my life before alcohol with Jonathon Livingstone’s life, about trying to learn about life, and flight, and self perfection. And now post-alcohol, about freedom
For some reason I always look at seagulls with a sense of nostalgia and affection, and also hope for the future ❤️

He was still there this afternoon when I went back for another walk

Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good luck Sao, baffle them with waffle.

You won't be tempted Copperfield cause you don't drink. I have every faith in you.

Midnight am I right in assuming you increase your own exercise 4% everyday?

I was out fast walking at 6.30 this morning. Same woodland route, 90 minutes. Today is going to be possibly our hottest day in the last 10 years. Not nice. My car is black with no air con, like an oven on wheels.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:26 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning weekenders, Happy Friday!

nice to see you Tatsy, hope you're doing well. just post what you want in the thread, no-one's keeping tabs on whether you reply to everyone.

good luck today Sao.

if the AV comes calling this weekend, there are better ways to scratch the itch:

Old 08-07-2020, 03:16 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Andy he looks big enough to eat someone.....

How did it go Sao?
Old 08-07-2020, 03:19 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Willow I think you could strike a deal with him. I'll scratch your back if you don't eat me.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hey all.

i can’t be on SR much so when I get a chance and check in to weekenders, I find all kinds of entertainment. Can’t keep up!

riding shotgun on the fun bus.

I hope all of you are getting stronger by the minute like I am. Another day passes and I’m now on day 11.

building sober muscles.

B
Old 08-07-2020, 03:48 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Willow I think you could strike a deal with him. I'll scratch your back if you don't eat me.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:53 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 days BEELS! feels great doesn't it?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I first saw this a couple of years ago. The tune is “The Alcoholic” by the Norwegian electronic music duo, Röyksopp. Not sure if they had a hand in the video, but suspect so. It is somewhat graphic in its illustration of the turmoil of active alcoholism, but there is a suggestion of hope right at the end. For me it is a striking reminder of why we should keep building our sober muscles and that there’s hope even for the worst of us.

Dee, I won’t be mad if you jump in if you think it’s inappropriate.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Who knew a puppet could depict an alcoholic so well. Very powerful, it reminded me of me and the true seemingly endless horror of addiction. Thanks for posting it Captain.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your supportive messages. I will definitely re-read tomorrow before my gig and yes, I will plan my non alcoholic drinks ahead of time. I love Kaily's message, don't beat around the bush or be wishy washy, "You won't be tempted Copperfield cause you don't drink. I have every faith in you." That is great.
CaptainHaddock thanks for sharing that video, wow that was powerful!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Wow. Can't believe it's August 7th already. Summer is almost over I can't wait til SeptemberI'm going back to college so hopefully that will pull me out of my depression
Old 08-07-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Kaily, you are so very funny!

Willow, your photos are beautiful. I can relate to your Jonathan Livingston Seagull analogy.

copperfield, you can get through your gig sober. Take your sober tool box with you. Include your favorite non-alcoholic beverage.

CaptainHaddock, thanks for the video; it’s a good depiction of the lost, desperate, angry acoholic - a very powerful message.

Well done on 11 days, BEEL.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Yeah, copperfield - slam that door shut, throw away the key. You are in charge and nothing can make you drink. I would take a small cooler with my own drinks and food. Decide before you go what you're going to say when/if people offer or cajole or insist or even try to hand you an alcoholic drink. "Oh, no thanks," is all you need to say, but don't let it throw you. You don't have to ever explain yourself!

Jonathan Livingston Seagull was such a great book. I read it when it first came out - I should read it again now as a grown up.

I just looked online, Richard Bach is still alive. He also wrote (and I also read and loved...) Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Need. Coffee.