Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Proud to be Sober? Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 11 July - 15 July 2019

Notices

Proud to be Sober? Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 11 July - 15 July 2019

Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Day 11, have a busy day tomorrow but will face it sober and hangover free. I’m still unsure how to handle the anxiety of life. I did do yoga today and that helps. The drama in my life is kind of like thoughts, I’m just watching them and letting it fly by. I didn’t create it, but it affects me for sure. Maybe I should give meditation a try.

Dragon, you are slowly convincing me to get a ukulele. I have tiny hands and it might be a good instrument I can actually play. Congratulations on 1000 days.

It was a great weekend to be sober. Thank you all for the support ❤️
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your 1000 days milestone STDragon

D
Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Thanks for the positive vibes Sao.

Brilliant achievement STDragon 1000 days ~ Keep on sober strumming.

Sorry you had a difficult weekend Water Ox. Glad the pesky cravings are passing now.

WeThinkNot a very inspiring thought provoking post. Thank you.

Vman well done coping with your inebriated friends whilst ignoring your own AV. Wasn't easy I am sure. Do that sober and you can do anything.

I feel a bit lost today, don't know why. My emotions are always up and down and I am very aware I spend far too much time alone. Most days I don't speak to anyone. Just the way my life went with the drinking, isolation and loneliness, symptom and cause ~ complicated.

Now I am frightened to enter into new friendships/ relationships as any emotional upheaval could trigger my old behaviours. I am very sensitive. So I stay safe but somewhat sad I suppose.

I think I need a long walk.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:23 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Reading your posts Foggyriver it made me think. My UK friends are already here and soon we'll set something up to meet.
You mentioned feeling like 'being zapped' when the drinking ideas hit. Lately I've been thinking about cravings and fighting them off in general. Especially how difficult it is to explain or try to explain to a non-addict 'what a craving feels like'.

Fighting off a strong craving for me feels something like being in the desert heat for 2 days with no water and all imaginable calamities constantly bombarding me, then seeing a crystal clear stream of water flowing right before me - and then saying NO to that.

Which is also why I'm sometimes tired at weird times ("times that normal people aren't tired at" as normies like to always remind everyone) and cranky for seemingly no reason. There's plenty of reason underneath and I'm/we're doing our best to keep that stuff in check. I/We don't always succeed.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Kaily, how about some sort of class? learning a hobby or interest? that would put you in a social situation without the emotional attachments.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, I used to walk dogs for a charity and at the park there was always someone talking to me, whether a quick hello or sometimes sorting the world out conversations. Are they like that in your parks?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Yes Mags at the local park I do the obligatory nod n smile at fellow dog walkers. Sometimes a short chat or apology for naughty dog syndrome . But more often than not I go walking in remote countryside or forests. I find nature relaxing.

STDragon thanks for the suggestion. I have done a few "walking meetups" in the past. At the moment health issues are restricting me. I am unable to do day long walks. I know, there are lots of other alternatives I could do. Bit of procrastination going on.

Anyway took this pic today. Was going to enter it into a photo comp but just found out closing date was Friday.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone, I woke up so freakin’ happy this morning! I guess because I got through a day in my “normal” life sober. Plan on doing the same today.

Not related to drinking, but one of the things I am finding I enjoy are the musical links. I had never heard of Ben Harper before. Have I been living under a rock all this time? Also, kk, I really loved your links to the music festival in your country. I am learning about a country I had never known anything about before. I must be living under a rock! I hope you enjoy your time with your UK friends and can get through any triggers without too much trouble.

I am sorry you feel a bit isolated, Kaily. I am an introvert by nature, but I am aware that I do need to interact with people more than I sometimes do in practice. It is a balancing act, to be sure. Hugs to you through cyberspace.

Congratulations STDragon and all you other long-time sober folks! Wow, what an accomplishment. I admire you all.

Gotta go out and about now. Hope you all have a good Monday. I am feeling optimistically confident that I will remain sober today 👍
Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Also, Mariposa, so sorry you are going through these rough times. Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

And Lucinda, I couldn’t have stayed sober with MIL next to me drinking my favorite wine. That’s too much! Congratulations to you for staying strong.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by kk1k5x View Post
Lately I've been thinking about cravings and fighting them off in general. Especially how difficult it is to explain or try to explain to a non-addict 'what a craving feels like'.
I reckon it would be easy enough to explain to a current or former cigarette smoker as it is similar only a booze craving is stronger (at least they were for me)

I could never get beyond the craving stage until I made the radical change of getting up at zero dark thirty and doing an hours walking or running before I got ready for work. Knowing that you will be struggling to keep your eyes open at 9pm is a great way to zap those cravings. Well done for facing them down.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Foggyriver View Post
And Lucinda, I couldn’t have stayed sober with MIL next to me drinking my favorite wine. That’s too much! Congratulations to you for staying strong.
Thanks, Foggyriver. I needed to hear that. It was a struggle but strangely, it has hit me more today than over the weekend. MIL went home this morning and now I really want to kick back with that wine! I am knuckling my way through it so to read your words has given me a bigger boost than you might realise. I am not a fellowship person but I think I will hang on to your words and apply the 'just for today'.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Lucinda it's really common for newly sober people to have those feelings after they've "made it" past some event that was difficult for them.

"Reward" is a word I've heard used. "I made it! I deserve a drink!" You can see how deviously it sneaks in, and how ridiculous that sounds?

Today is just like any other day that I don't drink.

No matter what.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Magsie

Ah Bim, something dinged when I read rewards. Yes, me too, I gave myself rewards for good days rewards for bad. Everything got a reward in fact. Pleased that craziness has passed.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Lucinda it's really common for newly sober people to have those feelings after they've "made it" past some event that was difficult for them.

"Reward" is a word I've heard used. "I made it! I deserve a drink!" You can see how deviously it sneaks in, and how ridiculous that sounds?

Today is just like any other day that I don't drink.

No matter what.
Thanks, Bim. That resonates.

I will hang onto the latter part of your post too.

I appreciate your kindness.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I had an okay day today. so I rewarded myself by not having a drink, because why would I want to sabotage myself?

sweet dreams weekenders
Old 07-15-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I actually like rewards. I think they can be useful, just not alcohol rewards. Things like a hot bath, a walk in the sunshine, So I like the idea of rewarding sobriety. I rewarded myself as I reached each milestone. 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. 30 days, 100 days, whatever milestones I chose. A massage, a haircut, a new shirt. Something special with the money saved by not drinking and waking up sober is the best reward! It never gets old

Well done on 1000 days Dragon, a fantastic achievement

Foggyriver it’s great that you’re still here. You can do this. We all had lots of stumbles along the way. That’s what we’re here for. To reach out a hand and help each other back up

Well done Vman on not drinking amidst all those drinkers and the AV’s yabbering away. You’re an inspiration. We all know how tough it can be, so you’re doing great!

Rose, Karen, Lucinda, hang in there. It’s tough in the early days but it really does get easier (Great post Wethinknot!)

Well done Lucinda on resisting the urge while MIL was drinking, that’s tough! You’re building those sober muscles

Sending you a big hug Kaily

I’m off to reward myself with a massage for not drinking for 14 months
Old 07-15-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Kaily that flower/bee image is beautiful! It would have won!! Look at all the pollen, she says, rubbing her little leggies.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Yes, I second Bimini on your photo, Kaily. It is gorgeous. I am going to reward myself by getting an early night’s sleep. Goodnight everyone, and thanks for all of your help in getting through this past weekend. Nice to meet all of you kind people.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Yes, lovely photo...
Old 07-15-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I apologize I haven’t been keeping up with the thread and chatting with you guys, and this post is gonna be about me too.

I have neglected cleaning my kitchen for a disgusting amount of time. The last meal I cooked in there was probably in February. I was just starting out in sobriety and I didn’t have the energy to do it. I was also horribly depressed as I was drinking an obscene amount and there was no way my medication was working.

I am happy to report that I went to target and spent 300 dollars on cleaning supplies, including a brand new shark vacuum and steam mop.

I cleaned my kitchen. I am so relieved I want to cry.
I still have a ton to do around my apartment before I leave for vacation but the worst part is over.

Sobriety for me has meant that I am not longer settling for a lower quality of life. It means that things like chores are still annoying, but I can do them because I’m functioning like a human being should. It means I can think about my future with a level head and understand that I have options that I can achieve if I decide to.

Sobriety has been the greatest gift and now my kitchen is clean. I needed to share that because it’s more significant than it seems.

Thanks guys, I’ll check back tomorrow.