Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Proud to be Sober? Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 11 July - 15 July 2019

Notices

Proud to be Sober? Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 11 July - 15 July 2019

Old 07-17-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

My kinda music thread this week! Love!

Welcome to mid-week Weekenders, Lostintime. 15 days is getting serious, huh?

I went to the zoo yesterday, haven't been in a while. My gorilla friends were very stressed out, I don't like to see them like that. There was a six foot tall barrier "fence" along the top wall of their exhibit which is where the zookeepers stand when the gorillas are tossed their daytime snacks, and there was a lot of construction noise and trucks adjacent to the exhibit. The gorillas were noticeably upset and worried. Poor things, they can't get away from it.

I can relate.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I had the most intense drinking dream last night and it still feels real this morning and I’m almost shocked I *didnt* drink. Freaky stuff man.

Dragon, great choice! I love George Harrison. Is it jus time or does that guy playing the tuba look a little like Martin Freeman...? :P

Last night I went with my mom to get our pre vacation mani pedis and I told her, gently, the extent of my issues with alcohol. I told her I go to meetings and have a sobriety tracker because things were getting out of hand and I was drinking every day. We have committed to a sober vacation so she won’t be drinking either. Relieved is an understatement. I never thought my mom wouldn’t support me, but I thought she wouldn’t believe me or be a little dismissive of the scope of the issue.

it’s wednesday. One day closer to the beach. I’m gonna claw my way there if I have to. Plans to keep cleaning my apartment and getting ready to go Saturday. Have a great day all!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Although I’m pretty new here, I want to say welcome, lost in time!

Thanks for all this music! I love it. And I love the frog, too.

Dpac, you will be so happy to come home to a clean apartment. Good going!

Hope everyone has a good and sober day today.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Another Day, another Detail...

When Detailing my Truck for sale, that is. I somehow missed some MesaDog dirt on one side of the Passenger Seat where he rests his prominent Proboscis, so that and Glovebox Clean-out beckons.

Foggy, A-R means 'Anal Retentive'. What we - um - *precise* types are known to fancy in terms of how we do things. The superimposed frustration over not getting things 'just so' can be a Trigger. So, that was a lil Ethanol-related issue that had to be dealt with to achieve Effortless Sobriety. BTW, you're achieving Sobriety in one tough part of the World, in my experience. Been there. Drank that. Repeatedly. Kudos to ya! My Adoption Papers indicate I'm likely half-Scottish, and I have the Liver to prove it!

I dropped many $$ Hundreds last Night on new Truck 'stuff' at Amazon. Tailored Front Seat Covers and such. All the fun. None of the Hangover!

Good one, Sao. A Neighbor that runs the Ag Operation adjacent authoritatively weighed in on having seen Bear Tracks down in a Arroyo. So, besides the hefty Mountain Lion that strolled by our Kitchen Window some Years back, we'll now add Bears to the challenges of Mesa Life.

This Hump Day selection comes from that bastion of Blues: the Isle Of Man. A germane Song Title and message for us all to heed in Sobriety, me thinks...

~ 'Tear Down The Walls' ~ Davy Knowles ~

Not my Pic of Blue Mesa Reservoir a few Hours from here, but identical enough to a Pic of mine to borrow for now. Lava Beds. The River, sans the kinda-recent Dam, cut a Gorge several thousands-of-Feet deep. Rocks at this 'Royal Gorge' bottom date out at ~1.5 Billion Years old or so...

Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

dpac, I'm so happy for you that you can have a non-drinking vacation with your Mom.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Thanks for the music, again! We went to the Isle of Skye on vacation, home of Ian Anderson. Anyway, I had also never heard of Davy Knowles. So much to learn. I used to listen to music in the car, but now it’s all audiobooks. I am now getting my music from soberrecovery, I guess Your part of the world is beautiful, Mesaman. I live on the east coast, and it is hot and so humid here. Going to hit 100 degrees this week, with probably 80% humidity. Speaking of anal retentiveness, in the world according to Foggy, it would always be cool and partly sunny, with a dramatic skyline at all times and a chance of a big exciting storm.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Beautiful photo, as usual, MM!
I've been scarce, but all is well.
Just inquiring- has anyone heard from Trach?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
herbivite.jpg (43.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I can relate.
& you didn't even have people tossing you snacks
Old 07-17-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Magsie

Lostintime, welcome to the Weekenders

Dpac that’s great news your mom is not drinking through your vacation.

Bim, I imagine it can be distressing for the gorillas, all that noise! I hope they stop soon. Big hugs for your gorilla friend.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
& you didn't even have people tossing you snacks

That's what I'm sayin'!

There is one high-strung young female gorilla who I absolutely know would be an alki if she knew about Tequila. She is the in-yer-face gorilla usually - always scheming and stirring the pot in the group. Usually trying really hard for attention from the male. Picking on her little sister, goading the other adult females, stealing/hoarding food. She has a very busy mind. Sometimes she gets herself so wound up that she'll give herself a time out because the rest of the gorillas are like, "Enough with you!!" She'll go to a corner and sit quietly until she calms down.

Yesterday she had lots of fear actions. Holding her head, arms wrapped around herself, wide and dilated eyes, furtive glances, crouch walking with lots of over-the-shoulder glances. I felt for her. At one point she ran over to the window where I was sitting and she sat down right against the glass next to me with her hand covering her ear. If I could have hugged her, I would have.

She needs the Bose noise-cancelling headphones.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Awww, poor gorillas. I feel bad for them.

Construction at my house today again. New entry doors going in. I escaped to work, they don't need me there in the way. This crew seems to be all Russian or some other Eastern European country. I don't know what language they were speaking to each other. It's interesting to have people from other places around the house. I would have asked them, but they were focused on the task at hand and I didn't want to interrupt. I'm going to go drive by the house in about an hour to see the progress. By the time I left the house (about a half hour after they got there) they already had one of the old doors out. That was 2 hours ago. They might even be done an hour from now. Who knows.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Lets hope those gorillas get a break and the construction work is swift.

Enjoyed the Delfonics VMan, they were not well known on our side of the pond.

I have had a long and busy day in the north east but a reasonably satisfactory one. Worth the trip.

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
[left]I had the most intense drinking dream last night and it still feels real this morning and I’m almost shocked I *didnt* drink. Freaky stuff man.

Dragon, great choice! I love George Harrison. Is it jus time or does that guy playing the tuba look a little like Martin Freeman...? :P
I found drinking dreams were very disconcerting Dpac but they do diminish in frequency over time, at least they did with me, like ripples in a pond.

As a fellow A-R I have a feeling that tuba player might be Herbie Flowers (Dee might know for certain) He is much better known for the simple but engaging bassline on this song

Old 07-17-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Administrator

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea us a great old song and FG's version is sublime STDragon

Another Tull fan Foggyriver? with me and Mesa that makes 3

congrats to all on another weekenders thread, as we wind our way towards the new one

D
Old 07-17-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I talked to one of the gorilla keepers today. She was not that happy with things. Apparently the construction is a new roof for the entire gorilla area. They've been told three months. I didn't have the heart to mention my five month construction project here that is now at seven and a half months, and not done. I think I'll stay way far away from the gorilla keepers until about Christmas.

I loved Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson back in my wasted youth - but it reminds me of that story where we lost our car for several hours in the parking lot of an arena at a Tull concert and had to wait until everyone left so we could find it.

I've told that story before on this thread: "I'm not getting off...you? Nope. Let's take another one."

psssh. That did the trick...

I didn't do that again.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Haha, Bimini, thanks! I am so sorry about the gorillas. I am so sound sensitive that I use earplugs at the movies. I also would love to give the gorillas some earplugs.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

It was about a month into my construction project and the crazy amount of noise before I remembered that I had those noise cancelling headphones. I've gone through probably 20 AAA batteries. Those headphones are worth their weight in gold.

I also bought a new ROKU player that has a headphone jack in the remote control. That's genius, right there. I'm sure there are bluetooth ROKUs and TVs, but the remote with a headphone jack is very cool for me. I can watch TV or listen to music and hear nothing else. No roofers, siders, stairs guys, window installs. Nothing.

I just had round two of my smoked salmon pasta salad. It's getting better each time.

Night, Weekenders.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Bimini, I am sad that most devices don’t have headphone jacks any longer. Seems we should have that option, but progress doesn’t want to allow for it any longer for the most part.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Dee, I play(ed) the flute, so people were always referring me to Ian Anderson. Another favorite was suggested to me by my brother, Jefferson Airplane, “Coming Back to Me.” Love it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43W5yMaZO0
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, that’s a great idea of Foggys. Perhaps they could get headphones for the gorillas? I know they are clever and would soon realise what they’re for, if watching humans put them on.

It’s really not fair on the gorillas, they have feelings too! Perhaps if a few visitors from the zoo dropped a letter to the management?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I'm Into the Airplane too foggyriver

D