Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Drink? Err... no, I’m driving, I’m on meds, Err...?-Weekenders 07 - 10 June 2019

Notices

Drink? Err... no, I’m driving, I’m on meds, Err...?-Weekenders 07 - 10 June 2019

Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

man, what a day. still sober, still reading all your posts.

thanks all, I'll try to write a bit more tomorrow but I am just dead tired.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

dpac, pleased you had a good day.

Dragon, there’s blackberry bushes in the hedgerows around here, I often see people picking them at the sides of the roads, they make great blackberry and apple pies or crumbles!

Manta, it sounds nice having an indoor pool, albeit whatever size but if it gets warm aren’t you tempted just a little bit to have a paddle and go barefoot on the sands. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it whatever you do, and the added bonus of a year sober. Brilliant!

mariposa, you may have lost more weight than you think! Training at the gym, you’re strengthening your muscles and muscle weighs more than fat so, you’re doing better than you think!

Bim, sounds like you had a good day. Native American festival sounds good time passing stuff. We don’t have anything like that here, well not in these parts.

Dragon, Woohoo, the bathroom is done! Brill.

HideMe, I guess friends may think that straight away. I don’t think the whole explanation is necessary, when out with your friends.

WaterOx, enjoy your weekend, you’ll be pleased you didn’t drink and stayed present the whole weekend.

Sun’s coming out here, hopefully the rain has passed!

There’s a vintage car display, along with new car sales at Normanby Park today. We may go and have a look.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Today is my Birthday. Yesterday my Dad came to see me for that reason, we don't see each often, he is a strange man.

Anyway when he arrived he was clearly unwell, he could hardly breathe and then told me he had been like this for the last 2 weeks! I then found his feet and ankles were so swollen that he couldn't do up his shoes ~ he had just been on 2 buses in this poorly state!

After much persuasion he agreed I could take him to A&E where we were rushed through and admitted. Doctors were astounded that he had been carrying on like this for weeks. Apparently it is his heart, hopefully I will find out more today.

I then went to his house as he wanted me to close the blinds etc and I found he really hasn't been coping, it was filthy and he lives like a pauper despite being comfortably off. All very distressing but he is not someone to be helped.

Life changes in the blink of an eye, yesterday morning my main mundane concern was my sofa, then reality hits and its my Dad with his uncertain future.

Sorry not to comment on others posts but my head is all over the place although that said Manta I wouldn't mind escaping for a lovely long beach walk... Room for one more?
Old 06-09-2019, 12:22 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders HideMe!

MantaLady i'm pleased you handled that situation in such a grown up way. Enjoy your trip to the coast. I hope you have decent weather.

Congratulations on all your gym work Mariposa, impressive stuff.

I hope you decide to visit the vintage car display Mags. Hopefully the rain will stay away.

Kaily, i'm sorry to read about your dad. Men of a certain age do not like visiting the doctor. At least he is in the right place now thanks to you.

I hope everyone makes it through Saturday night without drinking. A better future lies ahead if you do.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:48 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Kaily - glad you were able to get your father to medical care.
I hope you have the support you need as you deal with the things you can;
birthday wishes to you for today and the coming year.
Take care of self. xx
Old 06-09-2019, 12:51 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Happy Birthday Kaily albeit a bitter sweet day for you and hope your Dad is getting the care he needs now to get well. That generation are so proud and hard to help, but I get it as I am sure there was a time when all of us here were stubborn and not asking for help when we needed it too. Keep strong xx

If the weather picks up Mags I’ll defo be paddling barefoot on that beach. Taking both warm walking gear and shorts just in case the weather improves enough.

Binge watched most of the Dead to Me episodes last night and was struck by how much drinking they do in it which I usually don’t notice.

Have a super sober Sunday peeps! xx
Old 06-09-2019, 02:36 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes to your dad Kaily - hope the Doctors can help him get up and about again soon

Happy birthday too btw

D
Old 06-09-2019, 03:04 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, all the best for your dad ’s
& Happy Birthday, xx
Old 06-09-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Mr

Was it just me or did anyone else have trouble with the site this morning...?

Anyways had a good productive day so far getting some odd jobs done around the house and outside. Hope the neighbors are not too peaved with angle grinder sounds on the lords day.

Manta it is very rewarding and encouraging to read your progress. You seem really grounded now.

Kaily hope you are OK with all the life events / tests. Hope you're dad is better. And happy b-day all the same.

Have a great day weekenders.

Dignity in any generation at any age :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190609_131631.jpg (46.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-09-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Mr

How are you doing MB...?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Kaily.

On a much more serious note, I hope that your Dad is soon feeling much better. Prayers for both of you.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

A very wonderful Sunday to all.

Will try to catch up later.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Happy Birthday Kaily and best wishes for you and your dad.

Vman is that picture on your wall? Who is it?

Today is a special day for me - sort of - 33 years with the same company. Out of approximately 600 employees at my divison, only a little over a dozen or so are beyond my tenure. Our VP and myself started at the same time in the same department although different positions.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Congrats on that tenure, that's amazing Dragon.

Kaily, happy birthday! I'm glad you were able to be there for your Dad and that he's now getting care.

A very contented baby giraffe for you:

Old 06-09-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Kaily, sorry to hear your dad isn’t well. I’m glad he’s getting medical attention; hopefully he’ll be on the road to recovery soon.

Also, happy birthday! I hope you do something nice for yourself today.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Mr

Nice stuff Dragon... 33 years with the same employer that does say something...
This year is my 16th year (less than half yours) with the same company. I have to say it I'm quite chuffed with that. Previous jobs were alot sketchier...
BTW I have no idea who they are in the photo.

I bought some tickets for Amon Amarth here in toulouse in 3 weeks time. I'll understand if you don't listen to it all...

Men final in Rolland Garros in a while...

Old 06-09-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

My son graduated high school yesterday. There was a lot going on that could have triggered me to drink — I don’t enjoy crowds, then there was the boredom of listening as the names of the million classmates were read off, the excitement and happiness of such an event, the chaos at the end as we tried to find my son in her massive crowd, the scorching heat, then later seeing others drink when we went out to celebrate.

Anyway, yesterday was about my son, and by not drinking I felt that I got to focus on what’s important. About to head out for a walk now, have a great Sunday!
Old 06-09-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

So happy for you Bonnie, you did great and bet your really proud of your boy!!

That is going to be a brutal gig vman! You’ll have a great time I am sure 😬
Old 06-09-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim gorgeous pic of baby giraffe, he looks so well.

Bonnie, more congratulations for your son and you did great!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders,

Checking in towards the end of another sober weekend. Happy Birthday Kaily and thoughts for your father and thanks for the giraffe photo Bim.

So, I should report on my experience yesterday... Three branches of my family visited from up country to visit the County Show. This was something I had prepared for with my psych and something I was somewhat worried about. I have had problems with crowds in the past (anxiety etc.) and the huge show would be jam packed.

I stuck close to my family though and distracted myself by taking lots of photos of all the sights and spectacles. Although lots of alcohol was being sold I didn't crave a drink, although I admit I had passing thought that the 'relief' would once have been welcome. It was soon gone. We met some friends we haven't seen in ages and they were pleased to see us all doing well.

Anyway, I survived the long day and my recovery muscles just got a step stronger. It was, despite everything, lovely to see my family and another small test passed. Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude...

Best wishes to all, Forwards.