Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Drink? Err... no, I’m driving, I’m on meds, Err...?-Weekenders 07 - 10 June 2019

Notices

Drink? Err... no, I’m driving, I’m on meds, Err...?-Weekenders 07 - 10 June 2019

Old 06-06-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

No thanks.

I had a group of friends from 25 years ago in grad school that I reconnected with last fall. We were all big drinkers and one person in particular has some level of a drinking problem.

Several people pressed as to why I don't drink, and I finally said "Medical detox and five weeks of rehab." That kinda put a stop to that line of inquiry. We're all good now too.

This weekend is a weekend of bacchanalian debauchery, also known as Gay Pride Los Angeles. My office is heavily involved, so I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday, saying no a lot to drink offers. My office knows I'm sober, so that's not a big deal. They love me because I give 'em my drink coupons at events.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I say..I would LOVE to have a drink..but I am on medication and I don't want to die....LOL.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey! Welcome to Weekenders, DJ1, Misssy, WeThinkNot, MindfulMan and ImNotThatGuy. I like it when people join in.

I just had dinner for breakfast (chicken tostada.) I had already prepped it yesterday when the power went out, so all I had to do was reheat the chicken and refried beans and the tostadas this morning. I guess that means I can have eggs and sausage with potatoes for dinner. I like it, less cleanup.

Gay Pride sounds fun!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great topic. I'm in a similar boat except it's just the opposite. My friend decided to throw a party and make it totally dry just for me. On the one hand I'm of course grateful that he would think of me....on the other hand, it's kind of a lot of pressure in and of itself. I mean I don't want to end up being "the guy" who ruined anyone's "fun".
Old 06-06-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

Depends on the situation for me. LOTS of people know I quit for some not-so-great reasons, because I live in a small town and I got a DUI that was in the local paper, which it seems just about everyone reads. So if I'm in my hometown, I rarely get offered a drink anymore. I'm really open about it, and most people are super supportive. Every once in a while, someone will ask if I'm "still doing the sobriety thing" or if I plan to make it permanent. The answers to that are yes and yes. Some people just can't quite wrap their heads around that, but without exception, they are heavy drinkers themselves.

If I'm somewhere where people don't know, a simple "no thanks, I'm fine with water or tea" usually suffices. If pressed, I just tell them I used to drink, but decided it wasn't working for me anymore. They usually get the hint.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Happy almost the weekend!

Yeah this is a thing for sure. For me just saying no thanks seemed to work. I also brought my own beverage to any drinking 'event'...when you walk in with a $5 starbucks you can just say 'oh I'll drink this, thanks'.

I love that now I can even joke in certain settings. I say I don't drink. And if you see me drinking you might want to call SWAT, the Navy Seals, or Black Ops cause its gonna get weird. hahahaha. They usually look back and awkwardly laugh.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I can joke sometimes, too. Depends on the setting and the company. I could NOT joke about it at the beginning, it was way too painful.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welp, Mags, when this Thread is already 2 Pages in by the time I check it early at Geezer O'Clock - and *Shotgun* isn't even claimed early on - you just know you're onto a good Topic! Thanks.

I'm yuge on rehearsing my lines. In Life. In general. So, my responses range from 'Naw, I'm still working on this Ginger Beer' [which I bring along] to an edgy 'No, I walked away from drinking when I saw what it turns some People into'. THAT one will make a persistent Questioner back off, and perhaps make them question their own Alcohol-ingested behavior. Any number of my preferred, kinda-joking responses include the Charlie Sheen line: 'I had 40 Years of drinking in me, but I used 'em up in 20'. Lotsa fellow Geezers have walked away from drinking 'cuz they, too, had their fill, or for Medical reasons. So, there's generally a lower level of heat on this question than were I 30 again. A Morning visit to both the Garbage and Recycling Bins is a good Leading Indicator of RV Park Alcohol consumption. Empties don't lie...

We're now along this part of CA Coast Highway 1 where boocoo Car Ads are produced. Twisty Roads through gorgeous Scenery. So, the hard fact is we'd wind up dead if I were still drinking, or hungover. VERY unforgiving Roads with or w/o a ~7,000 lb Trailer behind me. Instead, we can make it safely to Bluffs like the one seen below, and simply take it all in from our comfy Camp Chairs after a Hike.

It didn't suck...

Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Absolutely gorgeous, MesaMan. Thanks. I will be in the San Franciso area later this summer and I'll be cruising through Big Sur, south of Monterey, for a couple of days. I was lucky enough to be stationed in Monterey for a year when I was in the Army, and my mother is a Bay Area Native, so I'm very familiar with the area and I'm quite excited to go back. Haven't been there since about 2003.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wonder how much those houses there on the bay go for? 5-6 mil? More?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to all the new Weekenders! Great to see you.

I have been invited to a BBQ on Sunday and was asked if i'm still not drinking. I answered no i'm STILL not drinking. It's been nearly four and a half years, how much longer will I have to put up with that "still" ??
Old 06-06-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Magsie

Mesa, gorgeous picture, it makes me want to go barefoot on the sand then paddle in the sea. Very nice.

MLD, are you out this weekend with the kayak?

Saou, probably forever, lol.

Good to see new faces (metaphorically speaking)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I have 3 options depending on my mood:

No thank you

No thank you, I don't drink

There's not enough
Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hey! Great to see you Nons. I hope your business is going well.

Just had Sea Bass with new potatoes and tarragon. It was superb. I shoulda cooked more though, still hungry.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I’m in for my 10th sober weekend. I tell people “no thanks” “I have to go to the gym later” or “I’m not drinking “.

Beautiful photos mesaman, one day I hope to drive the California coast.

I’m in my first week of being unemployed, just taking my time relaxing and spending time with my husband. My job interview today I discovered I don’t have the certification for the job. I should be okay with money for the next month but I need to find something within 2-3 weeks. My husband and I are starting nightly tennis practice. Tomorrow I’m going to get 2 of the 3 doctor appointments I need taken care of. This time off is much needed, it’s like a productive stay cation instead of my usual blackout, drama filled time off. I’m working on my diet by replacing my breakfast or lunch with a smoothie home made, strawberries, mangos, bananas, Greek yogurt. Also, I’m still constantly drinking lemon cucumber water. I’m discouraged to only see 3.5 lbs gone in 67 days, I can’t imagine what the scales at the doctors will say tomorrow 🤦*♀️
Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome to the new weekenders.
Hello to lots of seasoned recoverers.
Enjoy your breakfast this evening Bim
Goodnight weekenders
Old 06-06-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I love the Big Sur Drive.

Another comparable drive if you're Down Under is the Great Ocean Road drive from Melbourne over towards Adelaide. Not quite as spectacular because the mountains are smaller, but you do get wild koalas. It's also humbling to know that over the horizon is Antarctica.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Thank you for the new thread, mags.

Not much to report here besides that this breakup thing is really exhausting me emotionally.

Well, have a great day/night, everyone.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Congrats on the promotion, dpac!! That's really good news

I wonder what people get out of adding that 'still' in 'you still don't drink?' - I figure it's either they don't think at all and blurt it out or they, too, have had one too many, one too many times.

I remember once, very very early on, I was trying to stay away from drinking (late high school, drinking age is 18). Think I managed 2-3 weeks and then there was a party. At first I went there convinced that I won't drink. By the end of the night, I was blasted. The most interesting part was that when I was indeed 'openly' drinking, no one offered me drinks. When I said I'm not, everyone offered me a drink. Go figure.

Today has been a complete struggle with the headache that comes and goes. The only thing that helped was a cold shower. We almost reached 30C here today.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Welp, Mags, when this Thread is already 2 Pages in by the time I check it early at Geezer O'Clock - and *Shotgun* isn't even claimed early on - you just know you're onto a good Topic! Thanks.

I'm yuge on rehearsing my lines. In Life. In general. So, my responses range from 'Naw, I'm still working on this Ginger Beer' [which I bring along] to an edgy 'No, I walked away from drinking when I saw what it turns some People into'. THAT one will make a persistent Questioner back off, and perhaps make them question their own Alcohol-ingested behavior. Any number of my preferred, kinda-joking responses include the Charlie Sheen line: 'I had 40 Years of drinking in me, but I used 'em up in 20'. Lotsa fellow Geezers have walked away from drinking 'cuz they, too, had their fill, or for Medical reasons. So, there's generally a lower level of heat on this question than were I 30 again. A Morning visit to both the Garbage and Recycling Bins is a good Leading Indicator of RV Park Alcohol consumption. Empties don't lie...

We're now along this part of CA Coast Highway 1 where boocoo Car Ads are produced. Twisty Roads through gorgeous Scenery. So, the hard fact is we'd wind up dead if I were still drinking, or hungover. VERY unforgiving Roads with or w/o a ~7,000 lb Trailer behind me. Instead, we can make it safely to Bluffs like the one seen below, and simply take it all in from our comfy Camp Chairs after a Hike.

It didn't suck...

I know exactly where that is! Will be there in about 10 days! That's the part of home that I still love.