Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Drink? Err... no, I’m driving, I’m on meds, Err...?-Weekenders 07 - 10 June 2019

Notices

Drink? Err... no, I’m driving, I’m on meds, Err...?-Weekenders 07 - 10 June 2019

Old 06-09-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on 33 years Dragon! Same to you on 16 VMan, those are good numbers and showed you held it down even when drinking.

Congratulations to your son Bonniefloyd!

Happy birthday Kaily!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190609_163744.jpg (41.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-09-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Kaily
Glad you've got that bathroom reno just about finished Dragon.
Well done Bonnie and Forwards on resisting temptation.
Great pics bim & Sao!
MB, how are you?

I read everyone's "how long I have worked where I do with interest" as it has been something important to me as I head towards retirement myself.

I've been about 22 years where I work now, but longer part time before that. Since it is a state job, I was able to recently "buy" the part-time employment as part of building my retirement package. This has moved up my retirement time nearly 8 years.

This means I'm actually able to retire early in about two years. It hasn't sunk in yet, but as I've worked continuously since about age 15, the thought of just doing what I want or resting for awhile in the near future sounds like an impossible dream realized. (I'm turning 55 in August).

I knew years ago that if I didn't deal with my increasing problem with alcohol, I would never last in my current job. Quitting drinking had to happen, and I was also trashing my marriage due to my increasing aggression when drinking. I had a lot to lose, and I didn't want to lose it so I quit.

I've had some short relapses in the past years, but I've never approached the level I was drinking at when I did my "big quit" to keep my job and marriage together.
Had I not quit drinking, my spouse might have left me and I would certainly have lost my job years ago and been struggling today.
I was moving from the so-called functional stage of drinking to non-functional quickly--

Life without booze can deliver everything booze promises but doesn't.

It's taken work, and still does take work, but I'm so glad I made that initial decision to quit and live Life on its own terms. . .
Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hello just checking in

Hello, just checking in

cuz I no longer stay long enough to catch up and chat, but doing well, Day 56.
Had craving yesterday, didn't care if I caved, but was on my buzz killing meds so passed. Today we are on a hike instead. No cravings.

[img] A very young Garter Snake or more commonly known as Garden/Grass Snake.
Discovering Toronto's wildlife. 😉

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAILY!
Old 06-09-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Sunday Weekenders. & Happy Birthday Kaily!

hope everyone is doing well.

lovely picture of you & the missus Vinny.

it's rather grey & dull here today, so here's a picture from my commute home from earlier in the week:

I hope you enjoy your holiday Manta, it sounds like you've earned it. I think I'm in kind of a similar situation to you as far as work goes. I'm in a somewhat more junior role that I was previously, partly because I had some time out, but also so that I don't overload myself while I figure out the whole "living a balanced life" thing. I have to try to remember to bite my tongue a bit, which sometimes works - I'll find out how well when I have my probabtion review!
Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Serene Sunday, Soberists ~

Made an uneventful slog up the CA Coast last Friday. 90 Miles in 4 Hours. Slow going on unforgiving Highway 1. Once all set up, the back Latch of the nifty Euro-style Convertible Sofa I installed to replace the awkward Dinette quit being adjustable on one side. SOOOOO, yesterday was a p/t Trailer Work Day trying to fix that. Found a work-around, and will run with that for the last Week of this >5 Week Trailer Safari.

This Morning, a walk down on the very private Ocean Bay w/MesaDog was in order to polish up my Serenity. This Peninsula that's now a Campground used to be a massive Redwood Lumber Mill in the 1880s. A ~1,200'-long Pier allowed hauling finished Products like Railroad Ties out to moored Schooners in this very treacherous Bay. The remains of that Pier are seen below at Low Tide; just in front of the River that flows West or East with the Tide.

I bailed on Corporate Life at age 48. Early Retirement is likely the only reason Alcohol didn't cost me my High Tech Career. Not being into *Coulda/Shoulda/Woulda*, I'm completely content with having figgered out Sobriety in time to be out seeing the World before it was too late. A chance that many never have...

Old 06-09-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Mr

Another week and it will be cherry time.
Attached Images
rps20190609_200359_722.jpg (83.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Mr

This fellow seems to like cherries too...
Just one of the trees apparently.
Goodnight weekenders
Attached Images
rps20190609_200521_215.jpg (79.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone and love all the great pics posted today.

Oh wow how I wish that wasn't a virtual chocolate cake.❤

Just ordered myself a Chinese takeaway as a birthday treat! Spent the day at the hospital so I deserve it.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Nice stuff Dragon... 33 years with the same employer that does say something...
This year is my 16th year (less than half yours) with the same company. I have to say it I'm quite chuffed with that. Previous jobs were alot sketchier...
BTW I have no idea who they are in the photo.

I bought some tickets for Amon Amarth here in toulouse in 3 weeks time. I'll understand if you don't listen to it all...

Men final in Rolland Garros in a while...

I listened to the whole thing, interesting video. They remined me of metalocalypse. The singer also reminds me of a fellow in our uke club.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Well done on 33 years Dragon! Same to you on 16 VMan, those are good numbers and showed you held it down even when drinking....
That was also part of the problem. I could point at my job and say 'see? nothing wrong here'. I will admit that it got alot easier once the brain fog lifted.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Still here, still sober. I’m having a sudden emotional crash with the return of my sister’s wedding photos (body hatred always flares, ED starts trying to chat me up) and the emotions I’ve been experiencing due to working with that friend I mentioned with whom I had a falling out.

I’m just so deeply sad that it ended the way it did and I really really miss the connection we shared. To elaborate a bit more, things got messy due to romantic feelings that couldn’t work, for various reasons. I felt it too but had no intention of acting on it and I let it go too far because I’m selfish and liked the attention and ruined it. But the friendship was one of the best I’ve had and I forgot what it felt like until now, experiencing a shadow of what it was. I have a lot of trouble moving on from people with whom I shared a strong connection and always end up blaming myself for why things end.

Anyway, sorry to be a huge bummer but I’m gonna go to sleep. Happy birthday Kaily, wishing the best for you and your dad.

Thanks all for being here. I‘m hoping a good night’s sleep will help my mood for the start of the week. I have a therapy appt tomorrow so at least I have stuff to talk about, hah. Sorry for just rambling on about myself but it felt a little better to get it out there. Night.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:22 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Had a really good Sunday. Got a variety of things done.

When I was digging a hole to plant my blackberry bush today, I found a bottle with a note in it. The previous owners son had buried a time capsule 19 years ago, just a few days before we moved in. It basically said he wanted to give someone the gift of finding something exciting and encourges us to do the same. How neat. I think I will!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Bonnie to both you and your son
Congrats to you too forwards - and to everyone else kicking goals today

D
Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders, Monday is here in U.K. .

Pleased we made it through the weekend sober,

I hope the week is a good one. But whatever life throws at me, I’ll deal with it sober!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone. It is a very wet start to the week where I live.

That's an interesting little find STDragon, I wonder if the person who buried it is on Facebook or somewhere so that you could let him or her know that you found it.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Hi Mags , i found it :-) xxx
Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Beautiful pictures SR. Life is beautiful sober. The photos here are proof.

I’m 10 weeks today. I sat on a beach 10 weeks ago, after an all nighter. My friend cried because I was in such a bad state of being up drinking all night then pulling a beach day. I felt awful. Today we sat on the same beach. I was sober, rested, I breathed a deep breath sitting in lotus pose and felt truly present. I thought I really would slip today, 1-2 drinks. I can handle it. But I didn’t. I looked at the surroundings and decided I don’t need this BS alcohol. I got in a swam with my friends and really enjoyed jumping and diving in the waves. If I was drinking I’d lay in the sand, not enjoying anything but hiding from the true nature of life.

I may not be the life of the party, I don’t have the perfect beach body .... yet. But I am me, 100%. I ordered a skin care set for sun damage to reward myself for my 10 weeks. This week I have more work, medical appointments, work phone calls and emails, vet appointment. My life is getting back on track after years of derailing.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Hi Mags , i found it :-) xxx

That’s great news Snoozy!

Hope you enjoy x
Old 06-09-2019, 10:08 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Magsie

Mariposa, the beach sounds just a perfect way and congratulate yourself on 10 weeks sober. You’ve come so far.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Kaily

Beautiful photos everyone. Ill try to work it out again, but i never have much luck.

Lovely in Australia today. Bit nippy, but just the way i like it

Xx