Notices

Weekender Thread 23-27 August 2018

Old 08-25-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Welcome so
Old 08-25-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Welcome to the weekender StartingOver! What are your plans for the weekend? And how are your cats doing? I really miss living with cats...
Old 08-25-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SONW

D
Old 08-25-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Welcome so
Thanks Phoenix - How are you doing this evening?

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal2 View Post
Welcome to the weekender StartingOver! What are your plans for the weekend? And how are your cats doing? I really miss living with cats...
Hi kevlarsjal2 - Well its saturday evening here now and I just took a shower which feels like a major accomplishment Of course being that I'm detoxing I'm already sweaty again which is gross, but its ok. I'm not doing anything tonight but lying in bed online - maybe watch some netflix in a bit. Tomorrow I actually have plans to get lunch and see a movie with a friend and and friend of hers who I haven't met, so that should be interesting, even though I'll still be shaky. I've been texting with her about whats been going on too and she's a very supportive friend. After the movie I think I'm going to hit a 6:30pm AA meeting tomorrow night and plan to speak and say where I'm at, so that'll be a bit scary but I feel like I really need to. The cats are good - they just had some wet food for dinner so they're in a good mood

It sounds like you had a good AA meeting? That's great, that kind of thing where you go to dinner after is exactly what I'd like to find as I start going back to meetings. How are the chocolate muffins?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartingOverNW View Post
Hi kevlarsjal2 - Well its saturday evening here now and I just took a shower which feels like a major accomplishment Of course being that I'm detoxing I'm already sweaty again which is gross, but its ok. I'm not doing anything tonight but lying in bed online - maybe watch some netflix in a bit. Tomorrow I actually have plans to get lunch and see a movie with a friend and and friend of hers who I haven't met, so that should be interesting, even though I'll still be shaky. I've been texting with her about whats been going on too and she's a very supportive friend. After the movie I think I'm going to hit a 6:30pm AA meeting tomorrow night and plan to speak and say where I'm at, so that'll be a bit scary but I feel like I really need to. The cats are good - they just had some wet food for dinner so they're in a good mood

It sounds like you had a good AA meeting? That's great, that kind of thing where you go to dinner after is exactly what I'd like to find as I start going back to meetings. How are the chocolate muffins?
That sounds like a good plan for tomorrow, keeping yourself busy can be so helpful in the early days. Having support from friends sounds also great!
Yes it's a really nice group at the saturday night meeting in my city. I like it cause it's smaller than all the other ones and less "cool/braggy" people. A bit more geeky maybe. But also just the smaller size makes such a difference already. I get easily distracted and stressed when there is a lot of background noise which is automatically the case with bigger meetings. Maybe you can ask around if there is a small group somewhere in your area, it could make it easier to open up in front of the others.
I decided against the muffins, I was full after the sushi and I didn't want that much sugar just before going to bed. Which I have to do now, it's really very late already where I live... I might have them for breakfast instead

Good night weekenders! I hope everyone makes /made it sober through saturday night!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I have 6 days of sobriety today and I have started over several times in the past few years. I was active here, then made a major lifestyle change and things got WAY better for about 3 years, then I relapsed and got back into the regular habit of drinking a few times a week, then almost every night. Not much at first but I could see tolerance building: 1 glass becomes 2; 2 beers become 3, and so on. Must stop, my gut tells me. Plus, I'm sure the alcohol was making me more irritable. Down deep inside I hated myself for drinking.
I'm glad to be here and thankful SR is here for me.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hi GardenBug

Darn it, I didn't win the jackpot. (And I had lots of plans for it too). Good news is no one else won it either. I'll have to double up the efforts next weekend.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi, SONW and ZGB! Welcome aboard and well done on your burgeoning sobriety!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Welcome to the weekender thread, Zgardenbug and Startingover!

All the best to both of you for the week to come. I hope to see you around on the next weekender thread starting on Thursday as well, telling us about your progress and how much better you feel!

I just remembered that my rose bushes need their first spraying of spring. Thanks Zgardenbug! I love your username. Of course you don’t have to say, but I was just wondering, are you from Germany?
Old 08-25-2018, 10:47 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

How's it going PJ?
Old 08-25-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone.

Welcome to Weekenders StartingOverNW and Zgardenbug! Good luck to both of you.

I am treating myself to breakfast at a place called The Barge House this morning. I could easily get used to this but it would do no good for my waistline.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Morning Sao, I just had a look at their menu, and “treating yourself” seems to be an opportune description. I saw those artisan breads, filled with cheese, bacon, eggs and sprinkled with fresh herbs, and almost drooled!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:37 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.
A big hearty welcome to starting over and Zgardenbug. We really hope to see you coming back soon and regularly.

I agree with Sao it's been a while since we saw the BLUES ladies... Bim, MB, lb....

Roll on Sunday.... !
Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hey y'all….my day has been productive. I fought off a migraine yesterday (probably triggered by not seeing sons when they cancelled). Day after mig. is usually a really flat one- so I pushed myself and done gardening, socialized with neighbours, and drove for about 3 hours visiting galleries- as homework for my art course.
Better than drinking.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Mr

Lunch is done and dusted.

How is everyone's sober day going ?

Anyone who may be struggling post before allowing it to occupy too much of your head.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartingOverNW View Post
Hello everyone. I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm on my first day but am determined to stay sober today. I hope you all are doing well.
Hello and welcome to the weekender StartingOver, great to see you here

I hope that your first day goes well and that it will be the first of many.

Good luck.

John
Old 08-26-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by John65 View Post
Hello and welcome to the weekender StartingOver, great to see you here

I hope that your first day goes well and that it will be the first of many.

Good luck.

John
Hi John, thanks - and thanks everyone for the hellos. Its nice to meet you.

I didn't sleep very well last night due to fried nerves and stress, but am still hanging in there this morning. I just want to see if I can get it together enough to make it to that AA meeting tonight. I guess I'll call this day 2. Take care all
Old 08-26-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning, just starting out my day. Lay-about Sunday morning, big lunch then off to the airport.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Never been much of a hobby gal unfortunately; the last 12 years were marred with excessive alcohol, so I'm trying to step out and find some fulfilling and lovely activities. I started painting rocks with inspirational quotes on them that I plan to leave around town wherever I go. It's a nice time filler and fairly cheap! Also thinking about starting candle making since I've gotten into essential oils.

I've always wanted to play a musical instrument and am thinking about taking up the harmonica! Lol

Does anyone else have any hobbies they enjoy on the weekends?
Old 08-26-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Good Morning, weekenders. I hope you have had a pleasant weekend so far.

I came home a day early from visiting my friends. It was originally planned I would stay till either Saturday or Sunday, weather depending. Well, the weather was nothing short of perfect, but I came home yesterday afternoon anyway.

When I got to their place on Friday at Noon, they aready had the beer and wine out. They are not "obnoxious drunks" if that makes any sense. They go at it slow and steady. A beer here and there, a wine here and there. Then stop for awhile and drink iced tea or water. Then back to the same and it goes on till bedtime. I was fine, but seeing the wine out all day long, rose, red, white, whatever, was hard.

I woke up yesterday morning with a pounding headache and think I must have been clenching my jaw all night or griding my teeth. Perhaps from trying so hard to resist, which I did.

So yesterday around 11:30am, their cycle started all over again. First the beer, then the wine, and then I decided to come home. They didn't object, I only see these friends once a year and have little, if any contact for the entire year in between. It's a strange sort of friendship. I know I could count on them at any time, no matter what I ever need, without maintaining any sort of regular contact.

So, I just finished a 3 mile bike ride and am going to make a grocery list for the South Beach Diet. We went to a thrift store yesterday and I got the hardcover South Beach Diet book and the South Beach Cookbook for $2. Figure I need another goal besides abstaining from alcohol.

All have a great Sunday!