Notices

Alcohol in dessert

Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol in dessert

Hey folks, I'm researching and failing to see how much alcohol burned off the free dessert (strawberries and chocolate set on fire with 151) my wife and I received from Ruth's Chris for our anniversary. I ate half a strawberry since I thought I'd look ungracious to the waiter if I did not try to dish. Pretty dumb in retrospect. I did taste a bit of 151 on the aftertaste but it was not too bad. The dish was on fire for maybe a minute before I consumed it and I had no triggers to consume alcohol after.

Two questions: 1- Anyone know specifically how alcohol burns off of fruit (as opposed to pastries, brueles, etc.)? 2- for yourself and/or a sponsee, would you consider this a relapse?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

I'm not sure an answer to your specific queries would be all that helpful.

"and I had no triggers to consume alcohol after"
The answer you need for yourself is what is your plan about future alcohol use.
A plan to abstain in the absence of desire(triggers) is a plan to drink in the presence of desire.
If your plan is to not ever drink again, desire will cease to be relevant to the outcome.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For myself,
I do not consider eating food with alcohol in it a relapse. I am not going to
A. eat enough to get Drunk
B. My intention is not to drink or get drunk but rather enjoy a delicious meal
C. Everyone is different and some people go to the extreme of not even drinking orange juice, as there is a trace amount of alcohol in fermented foods/drinks.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No relapse.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will try to find the Iatge chart I have about how much alcohol cooks off by cooking method and food. It is far less than the "it all burns off" idea must people have.

I am one who does not ingest any alcohol in food, intentionally. No, a bite would not be a relapse but I do research ahead of time, ask questions of server, manager or chef and always choose not t order a dish if I doubt the answer. If I happen to get something that has alcohol I stop eating immediately. I have learned to ask about sauces and dressings, particularly because I enjoy pasta and steak, and mushrooms, and a huge amount f these dishes regularly include some component of alcohol. Plenty. Menus do not list everything in a dish, esp components of a sauce or cooking method, and those little details are important to me.

I don't eat a favorite dessert like tiramisu, for example. It is just a decision that I don't want to ingest any alcohol if at all possible. I research menus ahead of time, and by now at 2.5 yr sober have a pretty good grasp on successfully dining out.

My husband is not th same and won't seek out foods wth alcohol but is ok eating something if it is in there. Neither of us is looking to get drunk.

I found my comfort zone wth my approach after two incidents with accidental ingestion, during my first 9 mo, that freaked me out!

My sponsor talked through those incidents with me. The most important things were that both were beyond my control, I stopped eating immediately when I knew, and I found a solution moving forward to be proactive in how I want to address the issue. This plan has worked for me. It was even more memorable since these incident were happened just a week or less apart! I was about 9 mo sober.

Sugar alcohol like OJ or things have isn't the same as ethanol alcohol for me, and intent is absolutely key as DreamCatcher said. To me, these are lifestyle choices we make in recovery and good choices are ones that support my sobriety as I live in the real world.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

If we're talking flambe and they let the fire self-extinguish then all the alcohol burnt off.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

https://www.businessinsider.com/can-...-drunk-2014-12

The chart is at the bottom of this article
Old 08-30-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by hellorockview1 View Post
2- for yourself...would you consider this a relapse?
No.

I took this "and/or a sponsee" out of the question because for me, that call is above my pay grade.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read the title of this thread as alcohol in desert. ‘Boy, that person really wants some booze if they need it amongst all the sand and heat’, I thought. 😂😂😂😂😂. ‘What about water for their camel?’

(read it again and don’t know the answer )
Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol Burn-off Chart - US Dept of Agriculture
Preparation Method Percent Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
Baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes cooking time 40%
30 minutes cooking time 35%
1 hour cooking time 25%
1.5 hours cooking time 20%
2 hours cooking time 10%
2.5 hours cooking time 5%
Taste is what alcoholic beverages add to food when used
Old 08-30-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Alcohol Burn-off Chart - US Dept of Agriculture
Preparation Method Percent Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
Baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes cooking time 40%
30 minutes cooking time 35%
1 hour cooking time 25%
1.5 hours cooking time 20%
2 hours cooking time 10%
2.5 hours cooking time 5%
Taste is what alcoholic beverages add to food when used

Serious question, what would a 12 hour cook time at 225 do? If 2.5 is 5% can it be assumed to be close to 0?

Personally I'm a vegetarian so I don't even eat the dish but I taste the jus to salt it and it's made out of the braising liquid.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

No relapse in my book. Imagine sharing at a meeting that you ate half a strawberry. I doubt you would find anyone in whom the obsession had returned and so they dived into a bowl of liquor soaked fruit. It is just not a practical way to get the sense of ease and confort that the obsession is all about.

Whether or not to eat such desserts is a matter of personal choice. There is a risk involved. Once a certain amount of alcohol is ingested it will activate the phenomenon of craving, and there will be no way to stop the inevitable relapse. The same thing can happen with certain medications/sunbstances so it pays to be always careful about what you voluntarily put in your body.

Personally, I don't eat cold desserts like icecream with strong liquor in it, though I might eat something cooked in wine. Others may choose nothing at all.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

There is always a way to stop more drinking , and that is to stop drinking.

The simplest way just happens to be never drinking again.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

What you decide about relapse is up to you to decide.

Looks like I'm in the minority but for me if I ate something I knew had alcohol in it , and I consumed it 'not to make waves' rather than saying no thanks, I'd have to have a really good think about that, and not just a sober date sense.

Here be dragons..

D
Old 08-30-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It's really up to you whether you want to avoid that or not. Unlike August, I tolerate small amounts of alcohol in food. Cooking with wine, some kahlua in a tiramisu. I bring non-alcoholic beer with me to Asian restaurants because I found a good one and nothing works with Asian food like beer for me, I really don't want a coke with my Pho or curry. NA Beer is not truly NA, one can (which is all I will drink at a sitting) is the equivalent of about 1/8 of a can (about 2-3 sips) of light beer, which is already low alcohol. I wrestled with this for a bit, and at 16 months sober, I'm good with it. I'm also at the point where the thought of being inebriated from alcohol is dysphoric, I have no interest or desire. Even without the alcoholism, even a one-drink buzz has absolutely no appeal anymore. It really is a taste thing. I won't do NA wine because it sucks and doesn't taste good. I do mocktails sometimes as well, I find the LA bartenders love a challenge and are often sober themselves!

Up to you. Just be careful. Either choice is valid if it works for you...and by "working for you" I mean not making you feel the slightest buzz AND not triggering the desire to drink alcohol. If either happens it's not good, and if you're worried about either thing happening, then better safe than sorry.

I also don't do AA or count days. To each their own. Within reason, I don't think that anyone has the right to define my sobriety other than myself.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I still cook with booze,if I want to. I drank to get drunk and have never eaten to get drunk,so I consider myself safe with that.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Ben123;6999067]I read the title of this thread as alcohol in desert. ‘Boy, that person really wants some booze if they need it amongst all the sand and heat’, I thought. 😂😂😂😂😂. ‘What about water for their camel?’

(read it again and don’t know the answer )[/QUOTE
Made me laugh out loud this 😃
Old 08-31-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I’m alcoholic therefore I don’t have any alcohol. Sobriety and recovery is always no1 priority for me in my life.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me it's not so much the idea or the quantity in the food. A taste of brandy et al would set me off so I don't eat food containing alcoholic flavourings - but, as this thread proves, we're all different so I guess we all know deep our own personal thoughts on the triggers.