Notices

Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support

Old 06-14-2018, 03:12 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeaverBird View Post
Oh yes, bimini, that is exactly where I want to be with my food. I can see you are going to be a veritable mine of information. It's funny, because I am totally obsessed with food but I know so little about it. About nutrition, I mean. I know exactly what to binge on to change my mood, and then just starve to control the weight.

My body does not like sugar one bit ~ honey actually brings me out in a rash. Does anyone else get that? The alcohol might be extreme sugar addiction? I can't eat anything where sugar is 3 or above on the ingredients list of a food. Ideally it should be right down at 5 for me to feel like my body is making energy out of that food like a finely tuned engine. I am happy with no gluten, wheat-free, but I've never been tested.

I am sure each of us has our own personal body make-up or genetics, and we can sort of roughly put ourselves in a group, like me in the 'no sugar', but we are always going to have to experiment a little to fine-tune our personal program, does that make sense?

Sunny, my love, you are a very special girl and I LOVE YOU ((((Sunny)))) Thank you for being my teacher (I need an emoji for a little zen bow with prayer hands!) I will keep the idea that I will suffer until I choose not to in my notes.
Love your new picture Weev and I LOVE YOU TOO!
The idea of choice is really rocking my world. I think I'm going to write it down on post it notes and put it all over the house. I need it in more ways than just the food- like when I get irritated with the kids, not having patience is a choice as well
Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Guys I'm exhausted. I can't seem to catch up from my late night on Tuesday. I didn't sleep well and then my alarm went off at 5 but my toddler called me into his room to snuggle and it was heavenly. I thought I should just try to sleep more and work out at home later instead of going to the gym, but I couldn't fall back asleep.
Going to drink some salt (thanks for the reminder Bimini, I have been slacking) and go meditate until the boys wake up.

I wish you all a lovely day- I went out to dinner with 2 girls from the neighborhood last night- we saw a movie too. It was nice to get out- I ordered a salad at dinner but didn't ask for separate oil and vinegar like I usually do and I think it had honey or something sweet in it. I felt bad after altering the salad so much (no bacon, beans or tortilla strips, extra egg blah blah blah) so I didn't want to ask for more changes. But next time I will.

My oldest, N, has 2 half days and then he's done with kindergarten! Going to take the boys to my parents house after I pick him up. I wish you all a beautiful day!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

I just realized that my exhaustion may be from the candida cleanse I started on Tuesday. I was led to it by intuition and wanted to see if it will help with my sugar cravings since I can't seem to go more than 3 days these last few months. I know fatigue is a symptom of die off- I'm curious to know if that is the reason for how I feel today.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Welcome, emme!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
I believe I am the same way. I just don’t know how to get through the day without caving. This really is just like quitting alcohol.
Sunflower, just check in every hour- are you able to do that? (not sure if you work and how easy it is to get to your phone.) Just commit to an hour of abstinence here and keep doing it until you get to bedtime. Or if you can't check in here just tell yourself you will not eat sugar from 8-9 am. When 9 rolls around do the same thing for 9-10. That's what I was doing a couple weeks ago and it helped. I'm sure there will still be days when I need to do that as I'm only on day 3.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeaverBird View Post
Night night my beautiful friends. We are doing something very good and healing here.

Sunflower79, I will join you on a sugar and wheat free Day 1 tomorrow. I have suitable food. I do have a hospital ultra sound in the afternoon and I don’t know if I will use food to cope.

How's the day going Weev?? Good luck with your appointment today. I had my first mammogram yesterday, it was interesting. Amazing how they can manipulate a tiny boob in between two plates like that! I imagine big ones are easier...lol.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Hi everyone, I would like to join please. I've had food issues all my life. My first diet was when I was in kindergarten because I was kneeling and noticed my legs were bigger than the girl's next to me. Since then, my weight has been up & down so many times, numerous fad diets, WW a couple of times, MRC, etc... Right now, I have been eating so bad for so long I don't really even know where to start. I'm hoping reading about what you all do might give me some ideas and/or motivation. I'm really lacking in motivation. My issue at this point is making bad decisions on what I eat and eating way too much sugar. I want and need to lose weight, however my main goal is to feel better as I don't feel good like this. I just passed 6 months sober a week ago, and I feel like I'm ready to focus more on my eating now. Thanks for listening
Congratulations on 6 months of sobriety Emme! It's really great to have you here. It may be helpful to scroll through the older posts for ideas- we talked a lot about keto/low carb in the first few pages. Not everyone feels the need to eat that way but for some of us it's the best way to curb sugar cravings and keep our blood sugar stable throughout the day. Others can learn to eat cleaner without avoiding certain food groups- you will eventually discover what your unique body needs.

Sometimes taking "baby steps" is the best way to start. Like replacing one food that you feel is harming you, with a food that makes your body feel good. Or adding some mindfulness practices to your day/meal times. Can you think of a place you would be able to start?
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
Well, as long as I'm done eating for the day, I have a program all queued up on Netflix - Explained: Why Diets Fail. This should be uplifting!
Let us know how it is Arp! Have you seen "The Magic Pill?" My husband watched it a month or so ago and decided to join me on the keto train afterwards! I still haven't seen it...
Old 06-14-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Good morning. ☀️
Welcome Emme

Today is my day 1 and I will be checking in a bunch. Thank you to everyone for all the advice and support yesterday.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
To those of you who appreciate my presence here: Thank you. While I think I am someone who is fairly easy to live with today that has not always been the case. My wife of almost 30 years has endured a lot of crap from me over the years and even though my behavior has recently improved thanks to AA and this forum, there is still a lot of collateral damage from all of my past bad behaviors. Anyway at least there is progress. A year ago my wife told me that I'm less of an a-hole than I used to be. Actually she's said more positive things about my behavior than that more recently but repeating that comment gets the most laughs at my AA meetings. Progress is slow but the damage was caused over a long period and so improvement won't happen overnight. I am a work in process. I would guess that many of you can relate to this because you joined this forum for the same reason I did. The need to change our behaviors.

Now back to food; the topic of this thread. My breakfast: Black Coffee with some coconut oil. Going downstairs to exercise for 30 minutes. Boring but needed. And it works for my weight control.
I think being less of an A-hole is a great accomplishment lol! I can definitely relate. My a-hole personality comes out when I eat sugar as well- coming off a carb binge makes me into the insane person I was when I was drinking, which is why I'm here. I just don't want to be that person anymore.

Sounds like a lovely morning- going to slip some MCT oil into my tea now to see if it perks me up. Hope you had a great workout
Old 06-14-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Good morning. ☀️
Welcome Emme

Today is my day 1 and I will be checking in a bunch. Thank you to everyone for all the advice and support yesterday.
You can do this Sunflower!!! We are here for you!
Old 06-14-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Today has begun with a big fight with my husband. I sometimes think it relaxes him to belittle me and make me feel small and stupid. The worst is that I will obsess about this fight all day, and he has probably already forgotten all about it.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Today has begun with a big fight with my husband. I sometimes think it relaxes him to belittle me and make me feel small and stupid. The worst is that I will obsess about this fight all day, and he has probably already forgotten all about it.
Oh I’m so sorry. I can’t stand mornings like that with my husband. I usually try to remind myself that his nasty mood isn’t about me. He’s just an unhappy man. Can you take a walk outside and get some fresh air? That helps me.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Sending love and saying good morning. s
Old 06-14-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

This is so me!!

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
My opinion about my binge eating is that it is purely a chemical reaction to sugar that makes me need to eat and eat once I have the first sugary food.

I binge eat when happy, sad, hot, cold, tired, energetic, to celebrate, to commiserate. If there is a Y in the day.

I don't believe there is an underling emotional reason. I may tell myself there is sometimes but I think that is my excuse to myself.

I was exactly the same with alcohol. It was a chemical reaction in my body. The first drink opened a bottomless pit for alcohol.
This is me! Thank you for starting this thread! I have been binge eating for the last 30 years! The longest I have gone is 3 weeks. I really think it is a chemical reaction. Sometime I have not even had sugar (tired, depressed or stressed) and I will just CRAVE sugar and carbs...anything I can get my hands on. Weekends are really difficult for me. I am on Day 4 of not binging and would love to join you all with checking in. I do not eat meat so sometimes its difficult to really reduce the carbs.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

I was too busy yesterday to read properly....sorry.... s

It is ME as well.....I was very big....200 pounds on 5 foot 3 and a half....and I most definitely KNOW that it was a chemical reaction to food rather than any need or want to smoosh down emotions or cope....it STOPPED me from coping.

I struggled for so long....and it was only during a very painful breakup from a 6-yr relationship at 24 that started me on the road I am on now.

I was too upset to eat....and I barely ate for three weeks. When I started again, I found that my tastes and needs had changed. I no longer craved sugar at all....3 weeks had somehow been enough to start re-wiring my body and brain.

I have had times over the years when the addiction took hold again....I don't think there is anyone who can put on weight faster than I can....I guess we all know how it feels to be so full and bloated and miserable and unable to stop....

And here is my confession. Why I started drinking to excess in the first place....it was so I would have permission to eat. Because drunk meant munchies and no off switch....I didn't crave the wine.....I craved the hamburgers and pizza and all things bad I would eat as I drank. I had a one-woman food a thon night after night....

So it is all tied inextricably together....and now that I am sober I can manage it.
Well, that part of it....now I need to sure I eat. One step at a time huh? xx
Old 06-14-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
I'm sorry ProfD- that is not a way to treat your partner and companion. Try your best to change your thoughts when you find yourself replaying the argument. I do the same thing and let it ruin my day- I find if I can stop the thought and just think of something a little bit lighter, it helps.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
This is me! Thank you for starting this thread! I have been binge eating for the last 30 years! The longest I have gone is 3 weeks. I really think it is a chemical reaction. Sometime I have not even had sugar (tired, depressed or stressed) and I will just CRAVE sugar and carbs...anything I can get my hands on. Weekends are really difficult for me. I am on Day 4 of not binging and would love to join you all with checking in. I do not eat meat so sometimes its difficult to really reduce the carbs.
I can relate as well- While I do believe there is an emotional component to my addictions, I also will randomly crave sugar even when I'm having a "good day" mood wise.

I am a vegetarian doing keto so if you need ideas on meals, feel free to pm me
Old 06-14-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

I made a big omelette for breakfast. Usually when I fight with my husband or have another trigger that makes me feel rejected and like a loser, I restrict my calories or fast and become really depressed. Then that leads to a binge or worse, a drink. Trying to break that cycle, obviously. Today I will eat 3 meals, even though I feel like restricting to prove to him that I'm worth loving. (Well, that's the absurd logic, anyway).

Geez, I have never actually written out any of these feelings before. It's painful.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

It is....
But it's good to get it out.....and you know we care.