SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428433-food-addiction-24-hour-thread-support.html)

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 07:25 AM

Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support

I have come to finally accept that I am powerless over sugar/flour products and that the only way to overcome my food addiction is to abstain from these products 100%. This realization came to me a year after my sobriety date, and after listening to several podcasts including "Brain Over Binge" and one about food addiction on the "Fast Keto" podcast.

link:
Episode 14 of Fast Keto: Out of Control Sugar Addiction & The Ketogenic Diet

I have been doing vegetarian keto for almost a year and a half now and it helps a lot but I went from rarely binging to binging 1-3 times a week over the winter. When I am eating low carb/high fat I feel amazing. My mood is stable, my energy levels stable and I am able in general a happy person. Once I start binging it all goes downhill- my mood suffers (I get angry, irritable and want to isolate), I feel physically ill and I can't connect spiritually to Source which is also very important to me right not as I am on a path of enlightenment.

I want to use this thread as much as I need and am hoping that others who also have a food addiction will find some benefit in also using it.

I have a little over a day right now so my cravings are super strong and super real.

Still, I commit to the next hour of no sugar/flour. If I abstain from these foods I will also be abstaining from overeating as I do not eat compulsively with other foods.

Please join me on our journey to finally release our food addictions.

I will post again in an hour or two- just made a fatty protein shake- vegan protein powder, coconut milk, frozen acai, hemp and chia seed. Delicious, cold and filling...
:grouphug:

venuscat 06-03-2018 07:36 AM

I think this is a wonderful idea....so many of us here have or have had food issues that tormented us every bit as much as our alcoholism did. Well, that is true for me.

I was over 200 pounds at 21 and anorexic in my 30s.
I have battled and beaten my food demons now, but it took a long time and it was very lonely.

Here to support you in any way I can, and hopefully share some of the tips that have helped me along the way. :hug: ♥

erfra7 06-03-2018 07:59 AM

You got my support lovely lady

A Democratic Disease

There is nothing snobbish about our disease. It attacks individuals of every social and economic group. In OA, we meet the young and the old, male and female, rich and poor. One of the amazing things about an OA meeting is that it brings together in meaningful communication people from very disparate backgrounds. Even the generation gap closes when a common problem is the focus of genuine concern.

Thanks to OA, we experience warm fellowship. Perhaps for the first time, we come together with other people in a situation where game playing and ego building are at a minimum.

To be accepted for what we are and as we are is a healing experience. We may take off our masks and let down our defenses since we do not need to try to impress anyone in OA. As children of God, who happen to be compulsive overeaters, we are all equal.

We give thanks for OA.

venuscat 06-03-2018 08:01 AM

That is beautiful....is that the OA preamble....I love the wording. ♥

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 08:21 AM

Thank you so much Erfra- going to my first meeting tonight at 5:15 (if I don't chicken out!)

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 08:23 AM

11:22
Still super full from my shake with no cravings in sight. I'll check in again after lunchtime.

Snufkin 06-03-2018 08:48 AM

What an amazing idea Sunflower! :hug:

I've had a long history of eating disorders. I went from fairly overweight in my early teens to anorexic, struggled on and off with compulsive eating, purging and counting calories. I remember piles and piles of notebooks I used to write all my calorie intake for each day in, ridiculous stuff like 1/4 banana, 1 spoon of oatmeal etc. The goal was not to eat more than 500 kcal.

I'm overweight now, eat and binge mostly junk food, but because of what happened in the past, I'm really scared to start a healthier diet without getting into this mental obsession again...

Well, getting off alcohol is my top priority now, so I’m trying to forgive myself all the binge episodes, but I would love to be focused on a healthy relationship with food, too…

venuscat 06-03-2018 08:55 AM

Perhaps that's where I can help....because that is my area of expertise Snuf. Losing weight and feeling fab while you do it....no punishment at all...I have a very different way of looking at it all....I went to stupid weight loss programs and got to stand up and say "I am a pig" because I put on half a kilo....sigh....it is demoralising to the max.

When you are ready, we can formulate a plan if you like. :hug:

Way to go Sunflowerlife....one hour at a time we are going to get you to this meeting. :hug: ♥

Snufkin 06-03-2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6915693)
Perhaps that's where I can help....because that is my area of expertise Snuf. Losing weight and feeling fab while you do it....no punishment at all...I have a very different way of looking at it all....I went to stupid weight loss programs and got to stand up and say "I am a pig" because I put on half a kilo....sigh....it is demoralising to the max.

Way to go Sunflowerlife....one hour at a time we are going to get you to this meeting. :hug: ♥

Ohh that sounds amazing! Let's do this. :D

Snufkin 06-03-2018 09:02 AM

:D
https://pics.me.me/el-profe-joel-s-h...y-32848658.png

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 6915690)
What an amazing idea Sunflower! :hug:

I've had a long history of eating disorders. I went from fairly overweight in my early teens to anorexic, struggled on and off with compulsive eating, purging and counting calories. I remember piles and piles of notebooks I used to write all my calorie intake for each day in, ridiculous stuff like 1/4 banana, 1 spoon of oatmeal etc. The goal was not to eat more than 500 kcal.

I'm overweight now, eat and binge mostly junk food, but because of what happened in the past, I'm really scared to start a healthier diet without getting into this mental obsession again...

Well, getting off alcohol is my top priority now, so I’m trying to forgive myself all the binge episodes, but I would love to be focused on a healthy relationship with food, too…

It's so hard battling two addictions, isn't it Snuf? For me I definitely wasn't ready to tackle the food early in my sobriety. Now that I've got 13 months behind me I feel more well equipped. So go easy on yourself and it will happen when the time is right.

My ED past is similar to yours in that it has been a little bit of everything- I started out restricting at age 19, was eating 750 calories a day when I was 27 and then my body revolted by binge eating after I ended up in rehab/hospital for trying to take my life following the anorexia/drug and alcohol abuse.

Then I started purging when I was a personal trainer drinking over a bottle of wine a night and not feeling "good or thin enough" to be in that field. Another stint in rehab/hospital and then it has been compulsive overeating since then (11 years ago.)

I just want this crap to be over with. It's consuming my life just like the drugs and alcohol did. I'm almost 42- I can't keep going on like this.

Glad you are here and maybe just making small changes, one at a time will help for now. Like replacing one junk food for an option that maybe feels better to your body.:grouphug:

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6915693)

I still can't believe there were meetings like that anywhere on this planet. I was a weight loss counselor (one of my many jobs in the past) and I had so much sympathy for my clients- they would feel so disappointed even when they had gained an ounce (could have been the clothes or the fact that it was afternoon.) I still to this day remember a client in her 70s who was still binging and I was thinking- God please don't let me still be doing this when I'm her age...sigh...
So happy for you that you have a healthy relationship with food now.
For some of us abstinence is the only way, just like with the booze.

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 10:00 AM

12:25 check in

I almost caved. I've had the most brutal day with my kids (husband is working) and really it has nothing to do with them- it's all me and my mood and the fact that I haven't had sugar/starchy carbs for 1 day, 7 hours (I use a tracker.) I have been so on edge and so mean to them. My 3 year old just asked me, "Mommy, can you be nice again?" WTF is wrong with me??So my body is screaming for glucose but it's not going to get much of it today. The second day getting into ketosis is always the hardest for me emotionally. Tomorrow should be much better if history repeats itself.

Having said that, I was this close to binging. I poured some tortilla chips for my son and started eating them. I was so angry and full of rage and fantasizing about binging. I was going to keep eating and then go to a movie when my husband gets home and eat popcorn and crap and skip the OA meeting, afterall it's Sunday and who doesn't binge on Sundays when Monday is right around the corner?....and then I stopped. I breathed. I made a bowl of flax crackers with melted cheese and grape tomatoes and a mashed up avocado and DAMMIT I AM NOT GOING TO BINGE TODAY.

I am going to that meeting so help me God.

venuscat 06-03-2018 10:13 AM

And that is SO much yummier than tortillas and popcorn!!!!!
Very empowering. Imagine how good this is going to make you feel tomorrow.
And I bet you gave your little man a giant hug. ♥

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 6915702)

I don't know Snuf- this just isn't about weight or dieting or pizza (which I can never eat again.) This is about a real addiction to foods like flour and sugar which I cannot eat in moderation, just like I can't drink in moderation. There is a scientific correlation between alcohol and sugar/carb addiction. Same brain, same problem.

I love you and want to be honest with you about how this photo made me feel.

Snufkin 06-03-2018 10:29 AM

I'm so sorry Sunflower, it was silly, but made me laugh! Mostly because I work at pizzeria and do this sort of stuff.

(free staff food, I'm broke, so I basically eat junk every day :( )

No more stupid jokes. :)

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 6915783)
I'm so sorry Sunflower, it was a silly, but made me laugh! Mostly because I work at pizzeria and do this sort of stuff.

(free staff food, I'm broke, so I basically eat junk every day :( )

No more stupid jokes. :)

Oh geez, that has to make this all much more complicated. Do they not have any side options like salads? I think if pizza can be eaten in moderation for you then 1-2 slices a day can be worked into your day, right?
I appreciate you adding humor to the group. Sometimes I am too damn serious...

Snufkin 06-03-2018 10:43 AM

No, I'm sorry, it was stupid & insensitive, this is a serious issue and I just want want to support you, myself and everyone else struggling through this nightmare. :hug:

It's either pizza or pasta at my work. I don't think I can stop at 2 slices once I start... but I could start preparing meals to take to work and eat them after my shift, so I'm not starving and thinking, f-it, let's demolish a whole pizza. And I could take a pizza home for my BF, so I'm still saving money.

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 6915799)
No, I'm sorry, it was stupid & insensitive, this is a serious issue and I just want want to support you, myself and everyone else struggling through this nightmare. :hug:

It's either pizza or pasta at my work. I don't think I can stop at 2 slices once I start... but I could start preparing meals to take to work and eat them after my shift, so I'm not starving and thinking, f-it, let's demolish a whole pizza. And I could take a pizza home for my BF, so I'm still saving money.

Well there's a solution! Sounds like a great plan Snuf - see? We are doing this together...

venuscat 06-03-2018 10:58 AM

Absolutely.. ♥♥♥