Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1

Old 10-12-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

I'd like to join the class, if I may. Starting over on day 1 in the morning.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome GTB

D
Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Mega quick check in for me today.

I'm waking my kids up soon and then going out for a run before I have to get them out for school.

Mesosober - thank you for your comment. I'm not a great runner, I'm not exactly built for it! But it makes me feel so fit and healthy when I do it Especially when I've been training and I just run further and easier. I will struggle doing 13 miles but will finish it. I did my first last year and although I would like to get a better time I'm not bothered about being super fast. I'm taking my family out after for a nice curry - can't wait! I'll be able to sit in the restaurant and enjoy the meal feeling proud and not ashamed as often comes with being an alcoholic.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Hello class. Its 4am and Im wide awake! Ugg, so just catching up on posts. Welcome to our new members!

My haircut turned out fine, but decided to wait on a new color for a bit. I didnt walk the dogs , or walk myself yesterday tho, as my feet are killing me. I need to address this foot problem soon tho, as exercising is very important to me, especially in my recovery plan. I read up on some other things to try, like yoga and Pilates. But, I love walking .

So the weekend is upon us. So often I have failed because that use to be my unwind time, reward for getting through the week. Until the drinking became during the week too. So, remember its just really another day.

Next week my hubs is out of town. Im a bit concerned, because thats a big opportunity for the AV to come a knocking. I have to stay strong, and committed. I certainly dont want to go back to another day one.

Hope everyone stays the course and has a good sober day.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:01 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Starting day 3 here. It occurred to me last night when I was feeling a little off(dangerous time) , that I have 2 big advantages to help me. One is that I have a job, and the other is that I have spent enough time sober over the last 3 months that I am able to sleep through the night. I just went to bed and all was good. Trying to look at positives. Ready to face another day!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

I am kinda curious about something with this website. Is there a geographic area where most users are from, or is it pretty much anywhere?
Old 10-13-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
That’s a really good way to look at it. It’s so true; alcohol adds nothing good to life. The times we think we enjoy it, it’s really just the circumstances - good times with friends and family. Those can be even better with the alcohol removed. For one, you can actually remember the event! And not spend days recovering.

I think that’s what had tripped me up in the past. The rationalizing of “nothing bad will happen with just ONE!” And then I’m able to stick to 1, but within a week I’m back to drinking every day.

So I’m going to change my thinking to yours, thank you! Nothing good will come from drinking. It only takes. Dehydration, inhibition, judgement, your soul - everything is destroyed in its path. The only gains are regret, shame, and a hangover. NO THANKS!!

Your post made me so happy, thank you! Changing our attitude to alcohol is really bloody hard!

Alcohol is like a security blanket that slowly strangles us! At first it provides comfort and warmth but then we realise we're never getting up off the sofa and living life because the security blanket is warm and comforting, and what's the point going out and doing things when it's so cozy on the sofa?.... Lol I guess that's a bit of a weird analogy but that's how I feel about alcohol. It prevented me from growing as a person. It infantilized me.

We can both do this one day at a time
Old 10-13-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good Morning Class! Just checking in before I head out to start my day.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Day 11. Had a hard time yesterday afternoon. AV was telling me to take off work early and drink, lots of people have relapsed, had new day ones and are still here trying. It will be ok, you can drink just today.

Pushed threw it and found something to do at work that interested me to keep my mind busy.

Enjoy your life, be happy, be involved in life, try new things, be healthy, be a role model, be better. Be sober.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
I am kinda curious about something with this website. Is there a geographic area where most users are from, or is it pretty much anywhere?
Bob I've seen people from most English speaking countries. I don't think there are restrictions of any kind. Dee (moderator) is from Australia.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SickBeingTired View Post
Day 11. Had a hard time yesterday afternoon. AV was telling me to take off work early and drink, lots of people have relapsed, had new day ones and are still here trying. It will be ok, you can drink just today.

Pushed threw it and found something to do at work that interested me to keep my mind busy.

Enjoy your life, be happy, be involved in life, try new things, be healthy, be a role model, be better. Be sober.
Good job SBT. The AV lies!!!!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
Great! Keep knocking down those demons I know what you mean about the pills. It’s like you don’t even have time to think before your hands take over, total auto pilot. I hope you got rid of them! Don’t need the temptation. My psych also recommended SAM-E supplements instead of St. John’s Wort if you find those aren’t working for you.

That’s interesting, what do you think could be different for the ED program?
Thanks! I might go back to SAMe if SJW doesn't work. I've tried it before, it seemed to help... then when I upped the dose too much my anxiety was frightening. But, if I keep it at the right dose it might be great for me. I'll try SJW first.

The ED program I guess I would use mostly for the therapy. They have a dietician, but they don't understand the way food addiction works. They want you to eat a bit of *everything* in moderation, even the foods that are physically addicting to you. That's not how it works. Like in the same building, they have the drug/alcohol rehab clinic too. I've been in that program also, and they require abstinence and say it's the only way. Yet they don't understand that it works with foods too, especially the carby/sugar ones.

Anyway I'm so desperate now I might just go back anyway... Day 2 for me today, so that's good.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Checking in . Day 3... have lots on my mind and my chest is heavy. I'll check in later after work. Grateful to have this group.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

My wife has been away for the last 3 nights and I did not drink. First time EVER.

I'm looking forward to her coming home tonight.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SickBeingTired View Post
My wife has been away for the last 3 nights and I did not drink. First time EVER.

I'm looking forward to her coming home tonight.
Good for you SBT. Build those sober muscles!!!
Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  
South Asian

17 days. Weekend. Finished work. Exercised. I did think about drinking sometime in the future. Just for a few days. But not today. Not yet. I know these thoughts are not sensible. But I have to honestly face that they are there. I am trying to figure out how to stop them. It must be that I feel I switch off in a away that I otherwise cannot when I drink. It is my release. Other pleasures have their own charm. But this one is unique. My brain irrationally calculates that the pleasure outweighs the pain that will inevitably follow. The brain needs rewiring.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hi I would like to join you all. I am not new here and have tried to quit countless times. I am destroying my life. My husband I are drinking buddies but we both want to stop this madness. We drank last night and just like everytime we drink it ended with us getting into a verbal fight. Im so tired if this. Tired if this crap life. This cycle sucks. I'm work out. So day one for me. Nice to meet u all.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Welcome, needtostopthis (we all do :-)).

I posted this earlier this year but I have been thinking about it again lately and want to share it again here -- it resonated with me. Someone sent it in to advice columnist Carolyn Hax once upon a time.

------------------------

Sometime in early sobriety I concluded that I could do anything — or I could drink. You know, alcoholics and addicts spend an inordinate amount of time sitting on barstools talking about what they are “going to do someday.” In those early days I was busting with energy — take a fifth of scotch a day out of a man’s life and he has plenty of energy — and needed to do more than sit in AA and talk. The energy was both physical and mental.

So I ran, went back to the gym, swam, focused on my work, came to terms with a bad marriage, etc. And decided to actually engage in some of those pursuits I thought about.

Those early thoughts evolved into the concept of trying something new every year. I learned to fly, became a moderately adept sailor, still work with a trainer at the gym three times a week, took a second master’s in a subject unrelated to my other degrees. Doors open that open new doors. Two years ago, my wife and I (second marriage — 28 wonderful years) were on camels in the Sahara. This year I was asked to head the Eucharistic Ministry in my church, taking the sacraments to those most in need.

I’ve kind of gotten a reputation around AA of pushing those I sponsor to try new things, open their lives. It works. I could tell you many stories ranging from a woman with such low self-esteem that she didn’t think she could possibly go to college in middle life; she long ago got her MSW, became a licensed counselor and now works in grief counseling. A couple of guys have hiked the Appalachian Trail.

I suggest you can make life your bucket list. Do something new every year and every year will be a gift of extraordinary value. So far, no one has told me that trying something new periodically is a lousy idea.

Anonymous

---------------------------

Hope everyone's hunkered down or geared up for a sober weekend! Thanks for being there.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Welcome, needtostopthis (we all do :-)).

I posted this earlier this year but I have been thinking about it again lately and want to share it again here -- it resonated with me. Someone sent it in to advice columnist Carolyn Hax once upon a time.

------------------------

Sometime in early sobriety I concluded that I could do anything — or I could drink. You know, alcoholics and addicts spend an inordinate amount of time sitting on barstools talking about what they are “going to do someday.” In those early days I was busting with energy — take a fifth of scotch a day out of a man’s life and he has plenty of energy — and needed to do more than sit in AA and talk. The energy was both physical and mental.

So I ran, went back to the gym, swam, focused on my work, came to terms with a bad marriage, etc. And decided to actually engage in some of those pursuits I thought about.

Those early thoughts evolved into the concept of trying something new every year. I learned to fly, became a moderately adept sailor, still work with a trainer at the gym three times a week, took a second master’s in a subject unrelated to my other degrees. Doors open that open new doors. Two years ago, my wife and I (second marriage — 28 wonderful years) were on camels in the Sahara. This year I was asked to head the Eucharistic Ministry in my church, taking the sacraments to those most in need.

I’ve kind of gotten a reputation around AA of pushing those I sponsor to try new things, open their lives. It works. I could tell you many stories ranging from a woman with such low self-esteem that she didn’t think she could possibly go to college in middle life; she long ago got her MSW, became a licensed counselor and now works in grief counseling. A couple of guys have hiked the Appalachian Trail.

I suggest you can make life your bucket list. Do something new every year and every year will be a gift of extraordinary value. So far, no one has told me that trying something new periodically is a lousy idea.

Anonymous

---------------------------

Hope everyone's hunkered down or geared up for a sober weekend! Thanks for being there.
That was great to read. Thank u.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Double digits

Hit doubles today with 10 days sober. Slept a bit better last night. Took the boat out fishin by myself and had a blast without drinking. Hope everybody is doing well and thanks for the support

Brighten