Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1

Old 10-15-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

BrandNewLife, I hope you got some perspective on this. Weddings are so emotionally charged and I totally get what you're saying.

I had to take a lot of time away from my family when I got sober. I had to be able to detach from their crazy and not let them get to me. I spent quite a few years having just very minimal contact and only superficial conversations. I had already had the big blowups and that didn't do any good, so my best strategy was to limit time with them.

They didn't change, I had to. In time and after working on myself quite a bit I was able to spend time with them and not react.

I know you'd like to protect your daughter, and I have faith that you will figure out a way to equip her for emotionally difficult relationships. Some relatives are just hard to love, yeah?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Day 12

Morning all !!

I hope everyone is have a good weekend!!

Checkin in on the morning of day 12 for me Its been kinda rough to say the least.

G.F. broke up with me this morning. Although it wasn't said, im sure its because I chose not to go out last night. Oh well, she's hungover right now and im not.

Insomnia is still there but ive been trying to take short daily naps to try and catch up a little. Its working so far.

Now im gonna figure out what im going to do today, its kinda dark and gloomy here today.

Stay strong everyone and have a great Sunday!!

Brighten
Old 10-15-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hello group. Hope everyone is doing well.
I am on day 5 and still little shaky and stress is a bit high, but I don't have any urges to drink. I'm just super tired today and plan on doing nothing but watch tv.
Have a good day friends. Peace.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Embarassing as it is, I'm back on Day 1....I am referring to this as my final Day 1. I don't think I was completely serious about my Recovery in the past. Cannot drink...it is just not an option for me.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Don't fret on it. There is a time when "the switch" gets flipped and you realize that your sobriety is top priority.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
We're happy to have you, badgerden!!

Sticking to a P-L-A-N is something I'm doing this time myself that I haven't done consistently in the past. Good for you!

From my plan today, I commit to do the following:

1. Read and post at SR
2. Journal about any urges or thoughts on sobriety
3. Eat well and take a 30-minute walk
Thank you mesosober and all for the welcome. On my way to see my grandniece for the first time. Very nice to be clear headed and not hung over. Wanted to stop by and get some strength

Take care all!!

Badge
Old 10-15-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Chloe. I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'm going to move forward, stay close to SR and follow my recovery plan.
When did you know the 'switch' had flipped?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

MeSosober, I own two TB mares, just for fun riding , none near Zenyatta's calibre.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Day six for me, not a good idea to go riding inebriated.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by Readytodothis View Post
Thanks so much Chloe. I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'm going to move forward, stay close to SR and follow my recovery plan.
When did you know the 'switch' had flipped?
I started to feel like I was no longer a victim of my own self-sabotage. If I was going to begin to really love and respect myself so I could live a life that I could be proud of, I had to take control of my thoughts and steer them into constructive ways of dealing with everyday situations. I choose to become stronger and to fight off anything that is destructive to my well being. There are no more reasons or excuses for me to drink alcohol. It does not fit into the way I want to live or the person that I am becoming. I love everything about the sober me! I treasure every single sober moment.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I started to feel like I was no longer a victim of my own self-sabotage. If I was going to begin to really love and respect myself so I could live a life that I could be proud of, I had to take control of my thoughts and steer them into constructive ways of dealing with everyday situations. I choose to become stronger and to fight off anything that was destructive to my well being. There is no more reasons or excuses for me to drink alcohol. It does not fit into the way I want to live or the person that I am becoming. I love everything about the sober me! I treasure every single sober moment.
Thank you-you are very inspiring.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Sunday

Another sober Sunday. It was an awesome day.
Went to an AA meeting, it was small, 4 of us just sharing. I learned something valuable.

Not allowing others the power to control my emotions or feelings. I can't control someone else, but I can control how I act and feel. Even if it hurts, it doesn't need to hurt everyday.

I went to a chili cook off and entered the competition and took 3rd. This was my first food competition I've ever been in and was pleasantly surprised I won and happy!! I got a cool homemade trophy!

Enjoy your evening or day were ever you may be!!
Old 10-15-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
BrandNewLife, I hope you got some perspective on this. Weddings are so emotionally charged and I totally get what you're saying.

I had to take a lot of time away from my family when I got sober. I had to be able to detach from their crazy and not let them get to me. I spent quite a few years having just very minimal contact and only superficial conversations. I had already had the big blowups and that didn't do any good, so my best strategy was to limit time with them.

They didn't change, I had to. In time and after working on myself quite a bit I was able to spend time with them and not react.

I know you'd like to protect your daughter, and I have faith that you will figure out a way to equip her for emotionally difficult relationships. Some relatives are just hard to love, yeah?
Thank you. I have; it was very helpful to get it all out here. Luckily, I have spent the past 5 years with minimal superficial contact. I agree, I have to focus on myself and my reactions. It’s new territory for me to feel and express emotions. I guess I have yet to learn the difference between not reacting and shutting down. I thought I had dealt with childhood trauma, but it’s obviously still affecting me. I think I’ll download a book about dealing with difficult people.

I like your phrasing of “equip her for emotionally difficult relationships.” It’s so hard to balance wanting to shelter her from hardships with letting her develop the tools she’ll need for life. I need to learn these tools for myself so I can teach them.

Thank you for your feedback
Old 10-15-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Went to an AA meeting, it was small, 4 of us just sharing. I learned something valuable.

Not allowing others the power to control my emotions or feelings. I can't control someone else, but I can control how I act and feel. Even if it hurts, it doesn't need to hurt everyday.

I went to a chili cook off and entered the competition and took 3rd. This was my first food competition I've ever been in and was pleasantly surprised I won and happy!! I got a cool homemade trophy!

Enjoy your evening or day were ever you may be!!
Congrats on the trophy!! Care to share your award winning Chili recipe?? Unless it’s a family secret

That’s definitely a great lesson to learn about not giving others that power. One I’m struggling with. What tools do you guys use to put this into practice? I think I know these things, then in the moment I just don’t know how to deal.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post

I haven't posted much in the last week or so but I've been reading here everyday and this popped out at me today. This has always been something I struggle with--I've always had an issue with letting stuff go, resentment, and forgiveness. It kind of hit home for me today as I was walking on the beach with a friend looking for sea glass. I started talking about someone who did something that really upset me a few weeks back. I got all fired up, and continued walking along at a more brisk pace. At one point I realized that I hadn't found any glass while my friend had a couple nice chunks. Because I had stopped looking, stopped paying attention. I had descended into a funk. Reliving the past and being thoroughly cheesed off about something I have no control over. It distracted me, and caused me to miss out....and for what, really?
I was glad to be given this example, and I actually recognized it at the time too. I had to make a conscious switch in my thinking and remind myself to be present.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Hi!
I love October! Fall in Pennsylvania is beautiful. I also love to drink in October but I'm choosing to stop in October!

I love love the idea that I have the hopes of looking back and being part of a group that started in my favorite month. It will give me/us something so purposeful to celebrate!

Relapsed after a week. Today is day 1.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Morning class. Quick ckin for a Monday morning. Out of town this weekend helping parents move to their new place in the mountains. Felt good to drive back yesterday afternoon not hungover. Fall was in the air and it was just a very serene place to be. Pink cloud? Not sure, but will take it.

Welcome everyone new. More later. Overslept, which is rare for me, but I suppose my body is healing from all of the poison I dumped in it. Have a great day, class. BC.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Morning class! Hope everyone is doing well. Busy morning so I will check in later.
Have a great day!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Waking up sober really is the best. At work, but will spend more time in here later, when it's not so crazy here.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

See doctor today very scared

Good morning everyone I'm on day 23 so I'm happy about that but I'm also very worried. Seeing my doctor today to own up for the last 15 years of heavy drinking it's going to be uncomfortable and I'm terrified what damage I've done to my body but it has to be done. I'll let u know how it goes good day to you all