Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1

Old 10-16-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Have a great week all! 15 days in.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 14 for me. I hope you all had a great weekend.
I stayed busy with a garage sale, had my parents over and spent most of Sunday setting up a new media/backup server for my house.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Good morning group. Just checking in.
Hope everyone is doing okay.
It's day 6 and I'm not so shaky anymore and got some much needed sleep last night.
Overall, I'm okay. A little depressed and unmotivated.
See you soon. Peace.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
Congrats on the trophy!! Care to share your award winning Chili recipe?? Unless it’s a family secret

That’s definitely a great lesson to learn about not giving others that power. One I’m struggling with. What tools do you guys use to put this into practice? I think I know these things, then in the moment I just don’t know how to deal.
Hey Brandnewlife:
I have the link to the recipe I used, I tweaked it a bit.

https://glutenfreepressurecooker.com/instant-pot-chili/

I have an instant pot, and what a world of a difference for flavor!!!

When I start to think of this particular person, I really just stop myself and tell myself they don't have the power and think about something else. It is not easy, it takes practice for myself. But eventually, the thoughts will go away! Only time can heal.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
I haven't posted much in the last week or so but I've been reading here everyday and this popped out at me today. This has always been something I struggle with--I've always had an issue with letting stuff go, resentment, and forgiveness. It kind of hit home for me today as I was walking on the beach with a friend looking for sea glass. I started talking about someone who did something that really upset me a few weeks back. I got all fired up, and continued walking along at a more brisk pace. At one point I realized that I hadn't found any glass while my friend had a couple nice chunks. Because I had stopped looking, stopped paying attention. I had descended into a funk. Reliving the past and being thoroughly cheesed off about something I have no control over. It distracted me, and caused me to miss out....and for what, really?
I was glad to be given this example, and I actually recognized it at the time too. I had to make a conscious switch in my thinking and remind myself to be present.
Linner, I am glad I could post something to hit the strings for you. Living in the present can be very hard when there is guilt, shame, lack of forgiveness and so on... I have to put my brain in check often with my "stinkin' thinkin'" I dont want my thoughts to ruin my day, some days are easier than others, some days the thoughts pass more quickly while I have to continue to change my thoughts. I will think about anything, butterflies, food, coffee, my son who always says (after he poops) "mom, I want to see my poop" LOL, seriously that always make me laugh, may be gross, but that is so my son and that will change my thoughts real quick!!!

I hope you were able to maybe go back and collect some sea glass!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Will be heading home today after a 10 day vacation..had a good time with friends and family but am ready to get to my own bed and work on a solid sober and exercise routine. I also just found out that another co worker quit, so instead of 5 people, we have 2. Lots of overtime in my future,,,, sigh

Day 7, lets do this!

Badge
Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Hi. Just found this thread. Good to know....
Old 10-16-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Linner, I am glad I could post something to hit the strings for you. Living in the present can be very hard when there is guilt, shame, lack of forgiveness and so on... I have to put my brain in check often with my "stinkin' thinkin'" I dont want my thoughts to ruin my day, some days are easier than others, some days the thoughts pass more quickly while I have to continue to change my thoughts. I will think about anything, butterflies, food, coffee, my son who always says (after he poops) "mom, I want to see my poop" LOL, seriously that always make me laugh, may be gross, but that is so my son and that will change my thoughts real quick!!!

I hope you were able to maybe go back and collect some sea glass!
Lol yes kids are always good for a laugh! I remember when my friend's daughter was little and we were planning a baby shower for someone, she couldn't remember the wording and called it a "baby washing party" hehe!
The sea glass hunt wasn't really fruitful; I wasn't on my game at all because of my thinking. Next time.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  
South Asian

Hello All. Bored. That is a trigger. One of the reasons I drank. To deal with the boredom. There is so much repetition. Everyone dealing with various issues. Some more successfully than others. Are the failures really failures, are the successes really successes? This is my bleak, misanthropic, "nothing matters much in the end" mode. It is stupid. Pointless. 20 days. Keep going. A young Irish comedian died today. Cirrhosis. Age 51. Apparently he was a drinker in the past but had given up. Upsetting.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horatio48 View Post
Hello All. Bored. That is a trigger. One of the reasons I drank. To deal with the boredom. There is so much repetition. Everyone dealing with various issues. Some more successfully than others. Are the failures really failures, are the successes really successes? This is my bleak, misanthropic, "nothing matters much in the end" mode. It is stupid. Pointless. 20 days. Keep going. A young Irish comedian died today. Cirrhosis. Age 51. Apparently he was a drinker in the past but had given up. Upsetting.
How ya doing Horatio? Bordem is a trigger for me too. Do you have a plan to keep busy? Easier said than done, I know. Hope you’ll check in with us instead of getting lost in your thoughts. Hang in there!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Day 13. Been pretty busy with the kids the past couple of days, which is good and bad as they’re the lights of my life but also very draining.

Going to try to get a nap in while my daughter’s at school. Today is our anniversary and we had planned just to cook a nice dinner at home. Then my husband mentioned getting a bottle of wine 😳 And for a split second, I thought “Yeah I could have just a glass!” But that’s always what trips me up after some sober time. Don’t want to fall back into another moderation delusion. So I got a babysitter and we’re going to go to one of those Escape Rooms where you solve puzzles to get out. It’ll be good for us to work together and do something fun, so I’m excited!

Been thinking a lot about letting go of negative feelings. I started this morning doing Metta Meditation, which focuses on cultivating loving-kindness to yourself, then eventually to people/situations that cause you pain. 10 min a day, and it gives me a goal and some structure. Also booked a 90 minute Reiki massage for next week. I hold so much negative energy and tension in my body that I need to work out.

We’re halfway through the month, class! Even if you’re starting over or just joining, it’s the perfect time to make a change and adjust your plans as needed. Let’s make this next 2 weeks count!!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Back from the doctors

Just got back full liver function blood work done I'll be a worried mess till I get the results really testing me day 23 here we go
Old 10-16-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Day 6, it is BEAUTIFUL here today. Like autumn auta be. :-)

No urges today -- I drink and get myself into an insecure situation, and then it's like as soon as I start feeling secure again, BOOM. Must. Stop.

I saw (Stephen King's) It last night. Loved it. Since I got a pair of discounted tickets at Sam's Club, might go back before it goes away. So few movies come out that I'm really interested in seeing.

Hope everyone's staying strong, feeling good -- or at least better. If not, come HERE.

Thanks for being there.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

OK, so speaking of boredom... I am not sure how all this really started with me, maybe the self employment thing, who knows? I am dealing with that, but something I am having a really hard time with is this BOREDOM. I've become a boring person and it stinks. Work, work work, go home, make dinner, watch TV....and the weird thing is now that I have all this unspent energy not drinking, I still don't know what to do with myself. Even when I think "I can do whatever I want right now, what will make me happy ?" I just don't have the answer and I end up BORED. That is actually, far and away, the toughest thing I am dealing with right now. Seems like a simple problem I know, but I am stuck.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post

Been thinking a lot about letting go of negative feelings. I started this morning doing Metta Meditation, which focuses on cultivating loving-kindness to yourself, then eventually to people/situations that cause you pain. 10 min a day, and it gives me a goal and some structure. Also booked a 90 minute Reiki massage for next week. I hold so much negative energy and tension in my body
I'm going to look into both these things. The negative crap has GOT to go. I'm a sensitive person who's been thru a lot of trauma in the past, and I have an anxiety disorder as well, so I can totally relate to holding that stuff in your body. For me, whenever I'm emotionally upset or stressed/frustrated, my neck and shoulders freeze up, especially my left side. I've had a knot in my lower back recently too. You e reminded me that I'm long overdue for a massage and doing something nice for myself!
Old 10-16-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Checkin in

Hey all,

Checkin in on day 13.

First day back to work after last week off. Wasn't easy because im really tired still so I did hit the coffee pretty hard, which I know I shouldn't cuz it messes with my anxiety. But I did survive the day. Thank God I make my own hours but things still gotta get done.

Hope everyone is doing well !!

Brighten
Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rmeatgt350 View Post
OK, so speaking of boredom... I am not sure how all this really started with me, maybe the self employment thing, who knows? I am dealing with that, but something I am having a really hard time with is this BOREDOM. I've become a boring person and it stinks. Work, work work, go home, make dinner, watch TV....and the weird thing is now that I have all this unspent energy not drinking, I still don't know what to do with myself. Even when I think "I can do whatever I want right now, what will make me happy ?" I just don't have the answer and I end up BORED. That is actually, far and away, the toughest thing I am dealing with right now. Seems like a simple problem I know, but I am stuck.
I feel like I could have written this. I feel like I've kind of lost my spark lately. I do my best to stay busy, working toward my goals etc, but I feel sort of lackluster. For me it's not so much bored but more...lonely? Empty? I think at least part of it is the fact that I'm still trying to deal with some feelings I have stemming from a breakup in early September.
I'm planning on joining a gym in the next few weeks. Are you doing any sort of exercise?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I didnt wanna start a new thread on it. But does anyone ever get ringing in their ears? I never had this til I went into withdrawal, it faded for awhile but now its back. I cant say its terrible but its pretty darn annoying.. Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrightenMeUp View Post
Oh yeah, I didnt wanna start a new thread on it. But does anyone ever get ringing in their ears? I never had this til I went into withdrawal, it faded for awhile but now its back. I cant say its terrible but its pretty darn annoying.. Thanks
Yep... I'm experiencing the same. It is terribly annoying, to say the least. But from my experience; last time I racked up close 30 days it had substantially went away. It's called tinnitus.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waxfruit View Post
Yep... I'm experiencing the same. It is terribly annoying, to say the least. But from my experience; last time I racked up close 30 days it had substantially went away. It's called tinnitus.
Thanks so much for the info!! Like I said its manageable but its annoying as hell. Hopefully when I get to around a month or so it'll ease up. Otherwise im gonna start whistling along with it
Thanks again!