Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1

Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Brighten, I didn't sleep well for at least two weeks, and after that I had many nights where I considered five hours a victory.

Calming tea helped, and like Chloe I stayed away from caffeine for the first probably six months.

Exercise in the daytime helps tremendously with sleep.

I used to get up instead of lie in bed, though. I would tend to ruminate and worry if I stayed awake in bed, tossing and turning. If I got up and had some toast and a warm drink, and read a few threads on here I was always able to go back to sleep. Sometimes it's just blood sugar, and the snack took care of that.
Thanks for the great advice! I'm gonna pick up some of those tea's. I think the toughest part will be staying away from caffeine. A coffee or an ice cold Coke with ice are some of my go-to daily soft drinks.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Hey friends. Checkin in for today. Ive been so busy all day, just taking a quick break! Nothing new here, just onto day 3 again. Its going pretty well. Im staying super busy, which is great, but I have to make sure I dont put too much on my plate, as I dont want to feel pressured and overwhelmed. Which has in the past, led to relapsing.

Welcome rah! And anyone else just joining up. Rah,I would give face to face support /meetings a try. Its good to be amongst others like us, and you can get phone numbers, etc. Im currently looking for some in my area, not necessary AA, but smart, life ring, women for sobriety, etc. It certainly can't hurt to do multiple things for our recovery.

Back to work folks. Will check back in later. Hoping everyone is having a sober day.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
My anxiety has been really rotten lately too. Looking forward to seeing a change with that the longer I'm away from alcohol. One thing that's bothering me...I've always had a slight aversion to driving over bridges, but the past year it's gotten REALLY bad, to the point where I go out of my way to avoid them. The one exception is the one near my house that I need to drive over in order to get to the beach, which I don't love but suck it up and white knuckle my way over it, but the other day I found I couldn't bring myself to drive over this bridge I've been using my whole life. I went a half hour out of my way so I wouldn't have to take it. :/

I've also been having these mini panic attacks when stopped at red lights at busy intersections. Very discouraging. I've read that regular drinking can elevate your base level anxiety, especially if you have an anxiety disorder like me. Maybe this is what's happened. I'd really just like it to stop.
Thats me too linners! Fear of bridges is very real for me. For years I lived in Fl, and had to cross them to get over the bay to get to work.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Brighten, I didn't sleep well for at least two weeks, and after that I had many nights where I considered five hours a victory.

Calming tea helped, and like Chloe I stayed away from caffeine for the first probably six months.

Exercise in the daytime helps tremendously with sleep.

I used to get up instead of lie in bed, though. I would tend to ruminate and worry if I stayed awake in bed, tossing and turning. If I got up and had some toast and a warm drink, and read a few threads on here I was always able to go back to sleep. Sometimes it's just blood sugar, and the snack took care of that.
I used to always have a coffee in the morning on my way to work and then sometimes a small iced coffee at lunch...I LOVE a good iced coffee. But I can't handle the caffeine lately; it's just not reacting with my body and mind well.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

I went on vacation in early August and didn't drink coffee, and when I got back I didn't resume my coffee habit, although I admit I've had caffeine since then. I was pretty addicted to coffee, but for some reason I didn't have withdrawals or headaches.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys

I reckon the best thing we can do after a bad day is post in here. A little SR support can stop you from making a bad decision.

And don;t just post and run - sit awhile- fight for your right to be sober

get some SR support and wisdom. It really works.

Noone has to drink if they don't want to

D
Old 10-10-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Hello all

New to the form just found it today seems to be just what I needed. On day 17 now quit cold turkey after 12 years of heavy drinking beer and vodka mostly seem to be doing ok after the initial withdrawal which was awful. I have never quit befor and wasn't prepared for the symptoms but I somehow made it through looking forward to being part of the form thanks everyone
Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Hi Boone, welcome
Old 10-10-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
I am so tired this morning. My youngest likes having a good hour of watching TV before he has to start getting ready in the mornings but I'd been awake for a good 2/3 hours in the night and when the alarm went off it felt like I'd only been asleep 5 minutes.

Last night went well and I really enjoyed myself with the OH away. I don't know why I didn't have more sober nights alone before.

I watched Louis Theriouxs latest documentary about Herion addiction and then weirdly ended up watching a programme talking about mental health (Davina Mccalls series for those in the UK). She stated a fact that most mental health issues are showing by the age of 14 or something like that and mental health issues is young people is much higher than we know. As a child I was very shy and everything scared me. I remember a period of time where I felt sick every morning worrying about my day. Looking back now it's likely I had some kind of depression/anxiety and the chances are my drinking was a self medication for this. Having a child at 18 exacerbated everything and I drank heavily then to cope. I didn't know it wasn't normal to wake every morning feeling like life was just hard. They talked about feeling like you are treading water and that's how I've felt all my life. I wonder frequently why people put themselves through living it at all and completely relate to those who want to end it.

I'll be keeping a close eye on my children in this respect!
I first felt that something was wrong when I was 12. That's when depression and anxiety became a near daily battle. I had thoughts of suicide and anxiety attacks, but didn't know what was wrong. Just that something was off. I know I began using alcohol as both a social lubricant in college, and to self medicate depression and anxiety. WHen I was numb, I was okay. Bipolar depression runs strongly in my family, but I've never experienced a manic or even hypomanic episode, so for me it's the depression/anxiety side of things. But it does make we worry about my daughter. The good news is that my experience has taught me a lot about mental health issues and the importance of recognizing the signs and addressing them with love and support. I hope I can be an ally and advocate for my daughter if she finds herself struggling.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Today has been kind of hard. It’s Day 9 and I thought a lot about drinking. I didn’t act on it but I’ve definitely been resenting the hell out of the fact that I can’t just time travel to I Don’t Care O’Clock just by drinking anymore.

As I’ve mentioned, this is my second go. I quit once for nearly six years. My life has two main groups of people in it. On one hand is my mom — daughter of an abusive alcoholic who thinks literally anyone who drinks at all is just a sip away from death. She has never approved of me drinking, period. On the other hand is everyone else. I binge in secret so the rest of the world doesn’t have any clue that I might drink two bottles of wine on a Tuesday night. And the thing I’ve realized is there is no reply from either group that will leave me feeling ok if I try to tell them about quitting again. I know what they’ll say because we’ve already had this conversation.

My mom will be all, thank God you’re quitting that evil poison, which irks me because A. for most people it isn’t a life ruining substance, and B. I’m not her father. I am not my best self when I drink but I’m not a child abuser.

The rest of my people will be all, come ON, you’re totally overreacting, you’re fine. And I am fine when I drink with them at a restaurant. But I am not fine when I drink alone.

And here is the thing. I don’t really care what they think. I am fiercely independent. But also... I’m sad that there’s no one IRL who will just *get it.*

I need to keep trying A.A. meetings but it’s so hard to find someone to really connect with. But I really feel like I need the support of others in this tribe.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horatio48 View Post
Hello Octsober friends. Hope everyone is doing well. I completed my two day trip. Being away from home and on planes/in hotels is a trigger. Stuck to my plan. Did not drink. Two weeks sober for me now. Have a great day.
Well done! Good work!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zenyatta View Post
Well it's day one for me again, sigh. I had nine days with very little trouble and yesterday drank two double scotches after a day long argument with my daughter. Soooo disapointed. I should have realized things were going too well. Sept. 30th was my first time quitting and I thought I would make it . I have been drinking daily for about 4 and half years. Actually only started drinking at all at age 45, before that I was a once or twice a year glass of wine kind of person. Never really got noticably drunk, but I could see where things were heading.
Not going to give up, though, I'm back to day one.
Glad you came right back. Dust off and move forward. I feel that relapses can be chock full of lessons that can serve you well in the future if you assess what happened. I'm obviously still learning from them. But do feel that I've gained a whole lot more perspective and tools that I didn't have before embarking on the journey. Progress, not perfection. Learn, grow, and do better.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Pretty good day today. I would have slept like a rock if it wasn't for the coughing fit I had at 2 am. The work frustrations I had over the weekend were acknowledged today... I ended up working on projects until midnight Friday night, and that did not go unrecognized. The recognition felt good. Sometimes I feel like me and my co-workers just slog along without notice.

Dinner is eaten, and now I'm getting ready to watch This is Us with a bowl of mango sorbet. I can't wait to climb into bed (except for the night coughing).
Old 10-10-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Izzy8....how goes? Day 6 here. Hoping to hear from you. 😊
Old 10-10-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Question

A little more about me I'm 36 and never thought about how much I drank until about a month ago. I have always been a binge drinker at least three times a week it's sadly a family tradition. I also work 12 hour shifts midnights and days and I have been using vodka as a way to get sleep I can't really get any sleep without more than a few large shots. The trouble started when I decided I didn't want to pass out I wanted real sleep well that didn't happen just anxiety and massive amounts of sweating. Having never experienced this before I look up the symptoms and found it could be withdrawals well it got worse I probably should have contacted my doctor but it's done now and I'm 17 days in.This scared me and made me really look at my drinking and I decided I'm done. Now reading some threads here I'm getting a little intimidated but I'm not going to quit. I don't want my son to see me like I saw my parents. Thanks for the inspiration
Old 10-10-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrightenMeUp View Post
Hi all!
Day 7 as of this morning. Withdrawal is still in full force. Ugh. I took this week off just to try and detox and rest.
Last night was tough, this insomnia is killing me, I literally feel like a zombie. Does anyone know how long withdrawal induced insomnia usually lasts? I nearly made a beer run just to get some sleep but I was able to fight it and suffer as I lay in bed thinking.
This is a crazy roller coaster. I knew it wouldn't be easy though.

I hope everyone is doing well!! And from what iv'e read so many are which is great!!!

P.S. I spent most of the day yesterday reading on here and I found some awesome inspiration through the good and bad.

Thanks
Brighten
I am having the same problem after the 14 day mark it got a little bit better but still not sleeping through the night. I'm hoping it will get better soon hang in there it helps knowing we're not doing this alone
Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boone81 View Post
I am having the same problem after the 14 day mark it got a little bit better but still not sleeping through the night. I'm hoping it will get better soon hang in there it helps knowing we're not doing this alone
Thank You!
Yeah these nights are starting to get to me. I'm in a major debate with myself right now and trying not to medicate (drink) in order to get some sleep. It does help to know we're not alone
Old 10-10-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

I found that watching a movie helped get through the worst of it at least made me focus on something other than my thoughts. For me it didn't help to lay in bed and try to force sleep it will come and it feels great when it's not aided by alcohol hang in there
Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrightenMeUp View Post
Thank You!
Yeah these nights are starting to get to me. I'm in a major debate with myself right now and trying not to medicate (drink) in order to get some sleep. It does help to know we're not alone
If you drink now, you’re just setting yourself up to be in the same cycle forever. Sleep will get better. Valerian Root, Melatonin, and Magnesium help me immensely. Also lots of water during the day and stretching to detoxify. I finally got a good night yesterday and fell asleep at 10:00. Stay on SR if you need to, just don’t drink!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
If you drink now, you’re just setting yourself up to be in the same cycle forever. Sleep will get better. Valerian Root, Melatonin, and Magnesium help me immensely. Also lots of water during the day and stretching to detoxify. I finally got a good night yesterday and fell asleep at 10:00. Stay on SR if you need to, just don’t drink!
Thank You!
I do have melatonin, anything I should know about that like morning fatigue or any other side affects? I've been meaning to try it but just haven't opened the bottle yet.