Notices
View Poll Results: How often did you drink in a typical week?
Everyday
68.37%
Every 2nd day
11.53%
Every 3 or 4 days
11.37%
On the weekends only
6.43%
Other
5.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 607. You may not vote on this poll

Were you a daily drinker or every other day? #2

Old 04-24-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Everyday, a bottle (or more) of Rose.
Between 2-6 pm.
It was ‘lunch’.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:40 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I'd say every day. When I tried to quit, I would go a few days, recover, and then start again. If I was not trying to quit, I would feel bad in the morning and then by the afternoon I would have a beer to take the edge off and then it was off to the races the rest of the night. Repeat the next day.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:41 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Every day. And if I didn't have any it was because of poor planning on a holiday. And then that day was filled with depression and anxiety.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:56 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Big bottle of whiskey every other day
Old 05-11-2021, 01:02 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I voted other. If I drank 2 days in a row I didn't the third. Not intentionally, or moderating. The thought of wine just made me ill.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:46 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Half a bottle of Vodka 5-6 nights a week. That's a 70cl bottle.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:56 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I started drinking with my wasband cheated me on my best friend of 30 years. I remember the day, it was friday the 13 in September of 2002 I believe. Funny how I really do honestly have bad luck on that day. Don't get me wrong, I didn't love him anymore. Since our first son was born he acted like a child who wouldn't get more attention than his son. It was the year after I had a special needs child and I have known her since I was 12.

Anyway, that was my excuse. That made him leave, because he wanted to be with her but that never happened. My issue was coping with 2 children on my own, one with special needs.
I realized I was getting into a situation that was a problem. After I drank everything he used to have in the house, I started buying heiniken. A six pack a day to forget to forget.. or at least not care about my situation.

I was here back in 07 abd 08 knowing I had an issue.. left because I kept blowing it.

On april 17 this year I almost died. My now grown adult children were there. I took a pill a friend of mine gave me, I was drinking and it was laced with fentynol.
They found me eyes wide open and snoring. They called 911 and my older son gave me chest compressions so hard on the phone with 911 and I woke up as they were taking me away (they gave me narcon) I was lucky I got out of there that night. My older son hardly talks to me now. He is angry and thinks I did it on purpose. No, I was just being buzzed where my inner critic was sleeping. I said I would stop again but truth is, I went back on booze the next day hiding it. What was I trying to prove? I dunno, sometimes I think I'm punishing myself. On purpose. For 4 or 5 days I still drank. Something on the 23 woke me up. It was my sons face as they were taking me away on the ambulance. I stopped cold turkey. I started counting the sober days. 2 days ago he told me "I don't know why your counting.. you'll blow it anyway" and hes right, I've said it 100 times.

SO today is day 21. I put a postie on my machine every day.. Yesterday my posting was old enough to drink, I joked. I am hanging in there. I go to a lot of zoom meetings and they help. Getting a sponsor helped, even though I didn't know I would have homework

I really feel like I will never forget that face.

Someday, I told him, he has every right to not believe me... someday he will and I hope to gawd he forgives me.

==========================

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Please feel free to answer the poll and/or discuss your drinking habits.
This is #2 in a series.

Thread #1 is here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...other-day.html

D
Old 05-15-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

When I was younger I drank wine - a lot of it! - 3 times a week. As I got older I wasnt able to do that much, so I switched eventually to drinking on Friday nights. But the wine turned into beer and vodka - my friend and I going out for an additional bottle of it before the night was over and when I was totalled by that intake I’d head out to the bar and drink more beer.

This Friday night drinking however was enough to spark all kinds of self destructive life changing decisions that ended me up in worse and worse situations with a physical abuser, a gambling addict then a 24 hour a day drinker, in that order.

My past is nothing but regrets not just for what I did to myself but what I did to people I loved.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:21 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

I was a classic binge drinker for a long time but towards the end, it was all day, everyday. I'd play the game of switching up which liquor store I went to that morning. I somehow felt less guilty if the cashier didn't automatically know my drink of choice. Eventually, I stopped caring. Just give me my whiskey and let me go home. Such a sad existence..
Old 05-23-2021, 02:27 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Hmm for me it varied. But my recent routine was that I wouldn't drink Monday to Thursday. Then Friday/Saturday/Sunday I would binge and drink around 7/8 bottles of wine and two thirds of a bottle of gin. During these weekends binges I would either start in the morning if my hangovers were really bad, or I'd start about midday. Occasionally I'd wait until the evenings until I started again. Generally it was all day drinking. If I started in the morning, I for sure would put away around 2 and a half bottles of wine over the course of the day, then I'd hit the gin and maybe have 4 or five doubles. Black out etc.

Sometimes I would drink midweek if I had a social date on, and that would invariably set me off on a binge earlier. My last binge, I swore I wasn't drinking all week after the previous weekend binge. Went out on Wednesday and my friend tempted me into a bottle of wine to share with her. I then went home and got smashed, then started on a five day binge that lasted until Monday. That's an examle of my drinking.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:31 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Rar

I became an every day drinker. There were many business functions associated with my job in the last few years before I retired. I was fortunate to have been provided a golf membership and could take current or prospective customers golfing during business hours. The business golf always involved alcohol. Then there was the evening obligations- again more alcohol. By the time I retired, I was drinking every day, but i kept it corralled and don’t recall doing anything stupid during business.

Retirement brought a whole new level to my drinking. I used to wait until 5:00 to drink, but that became earlier and earlier. I live in an Over 55 community in Florida. I couldn’t believe how much old people drink. Even with the amount I drink (drank), there are still many folks who drink more than I did (women too). 😳. Drinking starts early afternoon and continues through the day. There are alcohol porch parties throughout our Park. Well, ultimately it got so I wouldn’t even leave my house, since I preferred to stay home to drink by myself. I didn’t participate in any activities. I started after noon and continued until after dinner or before I went to bed. I became rather reclusive, but that was okay because others couldn’t see how much I was drinking.

As you can see, temptation is around every corner or at most houses here. I’m getting out more and so far am not even a little bit tempted with the alcohol around me. Old people! Geez- you’d think we would know better with all of our health problems.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:35 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

I voted other because I used to have binges lasting any where from 1-6 weeks of pretty much 24/7 drinking and then I would dry out for about a month and then do it again...I was a repeat offender lol...
Rar, I used to get side work doing handyman type jobs in a 55+ community so I know what your talking about. I remember thinking aren't you people already on a myriad of medications that have warnings that say don't consume alcohol while taking!! lol
Old 06-22-2021, 06:10 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I
Rar, I used to get side work doing handyman type jobs in a 55+ community so I know what your talking about. I remember thinking aren't you people already on a myriad of medications that have warnings that say don't consume alcohol while taking!! lol
For sure: I did it too and they were prescribed meds! Fortunately, my meds are few, but still, recommended to not drink while using.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:34 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I used to get side work doing handyman type jobs in a 55+ community so I know what your talking about. I remember thinking aren't you people already on a myriad of medications that have warnings that say don't consume alcohol while taking!! lol
Haha! This is so funny. I am truly laughing out loud.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:30 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Every day. Until end of 2018 I probably drank every day for 10 years. I quit for 18 months then 5 months. At my worst (end of 2018) I was drinking 2 bottles of wine and a few beers every night. Last sunday I drank almost a full bottle of Gin (mixed with Lemon Fanta, disgusting but I had nothing else to use and omg I would drink anything). I have quit again now for good.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
KLC

I drink at least a pint (sometimes 2) of Vodka everyday! It is horrible waking up and having to have a drink at 6 am before work and then watching the clock waiting for the liquor store to open at 9.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:08 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Every day except for the occasional week when I was "on call" for work. For about twenty five years. Enough beer to float a ship.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:24 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Binger!

Sorry, I know this is an ancient thread but I found it interesting/helpful!
Old 08-07-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

It varied

I was a daily moderate drinker until I decided to quit. From then on I entered a binge drinking pattern. I could go weeks to a month and then give in. After I had that one it was all over. I would binge 24/7 a fifth of vodka a day for 3-7 days then recover. After a while when I would stop I would go through withdrawals which have gotten progressively more horrible over the years. The last two years every time I drink ... in the end I require a medical detox. I horrible cycle that rehab and AA hasn't put a stop to. Right now I am on day 3 of an outpatient detox and feeling horrible...
Old 08-12-2021, 08:39 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

My habit has/was not very predictable. But when I drank (especially alone) I had a very poor "off" switch if it was at home. Going out (because of the expense of a mixed drink, and driving afterward) it wasn't a problem stopping at a two drink maximum. At home (alone or with my partner), I began to drink more and more. I realized about six years ago that I was going to impact my health if I continued unbridled (a horse phrase meaning = without control). It scared me. I'm still struggling, without the partner now to blame it on ... and I realized I had a problem. So far I have no arrest record, no harm to anyone, no harm to myself, but lots and lots of shame. The shame is paralyzing and I am in counseling to deal with it and some profound grief issues that I have that seem to trigger my drinking issue. It has only been alcohol that I abuse but when I drink I have not been fully engaged in my life. Where I used to pursue education and learning (for the joy in that) I am no longer the same curious and connected soul. I want the old me back and am trying to reset her.

Thanks for listening. Best wishes and blessings for your journey to renew your soul.