Notices

Holiday Weekender for Christmas 2016

Old 12-23-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Ah, it's so wonderful to know you guys / gals are just .....well, there.

Sorry I haven't kept up with all the news - but hey, Tetra, an extra 100 quid is a blast! I know things have been tough for you, so maybe get yourself a real treat, eh?

((((Hobbling Delilah, mwah - and I very rarely do that! )))

All you trying to get warm, check! I realise it seems baffling that many of us are also trying to cope with serious heat. The joys of a global community :-)

CF - principles before personalities in AA group conscience / business meetings. Oh. Yes. .....good on you for diving into that scene. I long ago realised that, for me, best I stay out of that side of things. Kudos to those of you who muck in.

STD and any others who have to 'manage' family members and booze - and there are a lot around the boards: I have enormous admiration for all of you.

flossyteacake: big wave to you and yours from this old Sydney girl!

MKlove: yeah, there's usually someone 'not here' - for everyone. Crosby Stills n Nash said 'love the one/s you're with'. :-)

Julia8: don't worry luv - most of us can't keep up with these threads, especially at significant times, and what with time zone differences n all.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Gilmer! Nearly forgot - gone caroling!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Count me in. Merry Christmas to everyone. Sobriety is the best gift I've received in many years.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey Quincy & happy birthday Bemyself
Old 12-24-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Congratulations on your contact extension and bonus Tetra!

Welcome back bemyself and happy birthday. I admire your honesty, and its great that you're still here with us
Old 12-24-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Birthday bemyself, I am sorry you are having a hard time of it right now. Take care of yourself. I know Xmas often magnifies things like lonliness because the media is saturated with images of families and friends having a great time but it is not even close to reality.

Tetra, that is wonderful news about your job and the £100 shows he appreciates you. I rotated your photo below so fellow weekenders don't have to stand on their heads

It is my youngest daughters 24th Birthday today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20161224_085132.jpg (13.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-24-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy 24th to your daughter Sao
Old 12-24-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

g'mornin everyone. It's here - x-mas eve. hosting dinner for the family. My wife's side is larger. 11 adults, 2 children (one in hospital - geriatric ward). Mine: 3 adults 2 children.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Went to a Christmas party last night. 3 were drinking, I was not. I will say, I did have a moment right away, when they all were discussing the holiday beer they brought and wine, and I had my Lacroix. But it passed very quickly. And boy, was I content later on in the evening when I realized that I didn't have to have the internal "one more" battle.

You know the kind: "I want one more, ok now just one more. I need one more. How much has everyone else had? How fast should I drink this one so I can have another? Is everyone done drinking? Do I have time to stop at the gas station on the way home so I can buy more? Do I need more? I do!!!"

Ugh...so glad to be off that roller coaster.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to all.
This will be my fourth xmas sober. The first one coincided with my losing my job just before xmas. Alcohol was the reason. I decided then and there that I was never going to drink ever again. And for someone like me who already drank more than most most of the time > always < , drawing a line in the sand was the thing to do. Actually, I didn't draw a line in the sand, I built a nuclear bomb proof wall. Nothing was going to 'make me' drink again. There I was on xmas eve with the family, they didn't know I lost my job at the time, they didn't know I decided to give up alcohol, and I was in a familiar drinking setting. I had so many thoughts going through my head, filled with sorrow and sadness and worrying about the future and what happened, but I DIDN'T DRINK. Most alcoholics would have used it as an excuse to get hammered. I did not. I already made my decision. Too bad I didn't make that decision many years sooner, I've had too many "opportunities" to change but just kept going, until it cost me my career. Don't wait for something bad and irrecoverable to happen. Make the decision to quit - for good. It worked for me. No looking back, no pining for a drink, no 'missing the good times'. The times are much better now that I am sober. I really can't express how much better my life is since I quit drinking. You will discover for yourself the benefits of living sober, trust that you will.
Which reminds me of my first mas eve 4 years ago. Near the end of the night my brother asked if I was okay to drive - he's blind - and was not aware that I didn't take a drink. I gave back the case of beer and many bottles of wine I got as gifts - I was easy to shop for back then.
Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

Give yourself the best Christmas gift ever, quit for good. Make it a decision - a final decision - and never look back. It worked for me.

I view drinking the same as I do smoking. I never smoked and always thought, 'How can you do that to yourself?' These days, I am just a casual observer when it comes to being around people who drink. Most times I don't even notice it.
I don't smoke, I don't eat sauerkraut, and I don't drink. Period!

Now, time to finish wrap up a few more gifts, and get my bottles of SPelligrino water ready for the ride north. Remember, if you visit someone on the holiday, don't assume they are going to have your "new drink" on hand. I always take my own along...
Old 12-24-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Everyone!

Saou, thanks for answering Upward's question about OA.

I think I'm finally caught up here.

There is strength in numbers. Come here if you need to!

I often ponder how many "true" normies are out there. Try telling your family that your house will be dry for the holiday and watch the discord unfold. It's not like you're telling them there won't be any food served for the holiday! Jeese people it's ONE day in the week. Why does the absence of alcohol bother you so???

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. Mine will be quiet. Going to a chinese restaurant with the kids tonight and then just hubby and me here tomorrow. I can feel a good blankie on the couch Netflix kind of day coming on!
Old 12-24-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome to see you L and everyone this is my 4th too so may the 4orce be with us both & all

Just back from the barbershop got a great cut was well busy but thier always good to me & I left a small tip (£5) and wished both well for 2017

Feeling awesome & a tad peckish
Old 12-24-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. Mine will be quiet. Going to a chinese restaurant with the kids tonight and then just hubby and me here tomorrow. I can feel a good blankie on the couch Netflix kind of day coming on!
I have the holiday fireplace with music going on netflix now...

Enjoy your Chinese Turkey LadyBlue.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Good morning/aft/evening!

Wishing everyone a lovely holiday. This will be my fourth Christmas sober.

For those who struggle, please know this is within your reach. It truly is.

Kind wishes to all. May your next few days, and those following, be merry and bright.

Ven
Old 12-24-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

And thanks to LBrain for that classic!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Checking in! Will have time later to read through some of the thread.

Been busy and running out the door for "one last trip" to the grocery store.

Wishing everyone the best ...
Happy and Sober Holiday!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

LB! I am laughing so hard right now, going to send that to my daughter and son-in-law!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I am in. I was going to leave my phone behind for some peace and quiet, but this is my first totally sober holiday in like 8 years. My husband now understands where I am at and will be my bull dog protector and support as well while we are on vacation. Have my melatonin for sleep. Getting my coconut water to throw in the cooler for the beach and pool. Most of the people we are seeing are not huge drinkers anyway so that is not a problem. I CAN do this. I HAVE to do this.

I was up early making coffee and breakfast and cleaning before he even woke up. It feels good to feel good. I do not want to feel bad anymore. I will be here if I do though. Love and hugs to everyone!
Old 12-24-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great post LBrain

I went to the supermarketvfo a couple of last minute odds and ends, it was busy but not exceptionly so. One person bought apocalypse survival amounts of milk, weird, I mean the shops are open again on the 26th
Old 12-24-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A big welcome and Merry Christmas to any newcomers to the Weekenders thread

A hangover free one is one of the best presents and you get to give it to yourself