Notices

Holiday Weekender for Christmas 2016

Old 12-25-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Happy Christmas Day!

Welcome, Tiffanyeagle!

SAH, I hope you get the help you need.

MB, this is a tough time of year for many. Those of us who are very sensitive may feel added stress. I pray that you find some serenity!

I am having some coffee and catching up here before joining AA fellows for a walk in the State Park. My wife and I will have a quiet but special dinner.

Keep the faith!
Old 12-25-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Busy day of visiting various different family factions but its been pretty good, and i've had some lovely food. Back at my flat now and have no plans except to chill. Perfect.

Welcome Tiffany
Old 12-25-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the Weekenders thread NewNJPump, RayJay and tiffanyeagle

MidnightBlue I hope your anxiety lifts quickly, everything will be OK
Old 12-25-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just back home from in laws x
Old 12-25-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Ugh...I am not going to lie. I have found the past two days to be extremely stressful.
My mother seemed very stressed out and my sister in law seemed very uncomfortable.
They have gone now to her parents for a few days, although they will be back and I can breathe again for now.
My father says I am being ridiculous. He said he noticed some tension yes, but it's not my problem to worry about. He says if my sister in law has a problem with us then she is old enough to tell us herself. Anyway he said no doubt she has heard everything about us from my brother.
My therapist said some thing similar actually. He said whether she is comfortable or uncomfortable with us, that is beside the point. The point is that whether she likes us or not, she is a member of this family now and she has to get used to it.

Truthfully I feel uncomfortable with her too. I tell no one outside my family and best friends about my alcoholism and I know she knows. Plus I was in the wilderness career wise for so many years and she is younger than me, has a PHD and a good job. So perhaps there is something for me to think about as well.

I shouldn't have spent the afternoon re-watching The Lion King. I must admit I cried. I should have picked Harry Potter on the other channel instead.

I can't wait to get out of here tomorrow for a drive or something. Two days stuck in the house is too much.

Anyway Christmas sucked so roll on New Year's!
Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Last year I spent Christmas afternoon sitting by myself in a bar; surrounded by people, but feeling utterly alone. This year, I may be spending the day on my own, but I certainly don't feel lonely.

Alcohol truly doesn't do you any favors.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Do your best

Been such a busy day for us today wanted to post more but didn't get a chance I hope everyone has had a nice day & is ok

If not that's ok were here for you
Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Well I just read that former Wham singer George Michael has passed away at the age of 53. It kind of puts things in perspective.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Very sad lose . . . RIP George!!

Old 12-25-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Sad to hear about George Michael--so young to die!

Tetra, I'm sorry that you are feeling so much stress. A drive tomorrow sounds like a good idea!

We got lost on our AA walk around the lake--just gabbing too much and not paying attention to the trails.

Our roast is searing in the oven and smells wonderful!
Old 12-25-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Do your best

Night Gang x
Old 12-25-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

One for all the dog-lovers. Not my dogs - just a pic from Australian Broadcasting Corp's (our 'Auntie' ABC) range of pics from around the country.

LabsatChristmasd34183c54a3c3d84c6ccea102d3a6586.jpg
Old 12-25-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Back from the in-laws. Brother-in-law had some weird prejudice ideas about why things are changing. Managed to keep his rhetoric to a minimum. Enjoyed watching the young ones having fun.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Woof ,woof woof a
woofy
woof-woof
Woof, woof woof a
woofy
woof-woof

woof woof woof a woofy woof-woof
and a woofy woof-woof.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

A rather benign Aussie Christmas-period tradition: the Boxing Day test match at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). Was just curious as to why it has a kind of 'settling', iconic status....and like most cultural history, it doesn't go back as long as I'd thought.
The surprisingly short history of the Boxing Day Test - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

And by 'settling' I suppose it's something that ordinary people at home can just happily watch, on the couch (hence the Aussie term 'couch potato), the day after all the craziness, everyone's tired, and can (if lucky) just graze away on cold ham, salads, etc. In between naps.

I was never a huge sports fan at all, and am still not. Hence, I'm positively Un-Australian :-) Nevertheless, there is something quite soothing in the rhythms of a Test match - even if one has little understanding of the game, which is very complex and with subtleties not known in other ball sports [ as I learned from a few ex-partners, both cricketers].

For those who may not know about this tradition: many Australians devote much of the summers (from now and onward) to watching or listening to, the Test cricket. The real devotees spend huge amounts of time keeping up with the minutiae. And if it gives a quiet pleasure, why not? We surely need a few of those, these days.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

PS 'listening to the Test?' I hear some say. That, too, is a rather nice tradition....on any given day in summer, you can hear a neighbour, or a tradie out working, or whomever, with their radio (the Wireless!) tuned to the cricket commentary. No pictures. Imagine that!
Old 12-25-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I didn't even know there was a game on lol.

D
Old 12-25-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Coldfusion, I've been wanting to say - your location of Orcas Island, Washington sounds delightful.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

No, nor did I, Dee. Had forgotten about it, but was scrolling through ABC and the Age etc. Hence, the reflections.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Off for my siesta.

Will sometime later post (if I can be bothered to connect up the phone to the computer) two pics of the TWO platefuls given to me every year of Christmas Day Greek stuff. This, from my neighbour, a widow. In her 70s now, she regaled me through the Christmas lead-up that "I will do nothing this year! I'm too tired! I'm sick of it. I've told Them [her family], this is the last time!' I've tentatively - yet forcefully - suggested she tell the family to simply take her to a swanky hotel / restaurant next year :-) It's a Greek Matriarch thing - as my GP assures me (also being Greek).

I still received two platefuls towards the end of the day, which she insists on ensuring I have. Over five years I've been here. God bless her. She and I drive each other crazy. And call each other 'darling'. Have a few spats, get over them, and then resume bickering mildly over the location of this or that plant / vine that should be cropped in our common areas, etc.

She knows about my alcoholism, because I told her. She worries, doesn't really understand it, and then she keeps an eye on my front garden plants, takes in my mail, and so forth, when I have to go to rehab.

I'm very fortunate.