Notices

Holiday Weekender for Christmas 2016

Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Freedom, what I did on my first Big Night Out, after I'd only been sober for about three weeks, as I recall, was to have my phone out and open to SR. If I ran into trouble with booze, the plan was to excuse myself and post until I got a response talking me through it. As it turned out, it was fine and I didn't need to post or contact anyone. The point was that I had a plan.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi all. Mind if I join?

Christmas is a happy time for me, but of course there are family dynamics and alcohol to negotiate....

For some reason my alkie brain whispers to me that drinking at Christmas will be absolutely fine...at the moment I'm feeling strong and positive, but I'm aware that can change.

Today is the first day of the holidays for me and I'm about to make my little home look liveable in and not like someone has thrown a grenade in here...wish me luck!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello Holiday Weekenders,

I am in for the weekend as well. I am really looking forward to being sober for the holidays, the last time I was sober this time of year was in 2012, and prior to that pregnancy.

We will be at my MILs for both Christmas, and NYE, and I am planning to enjoy time with all of the kids, and be the designated driver, as long as I am able to get through the day without pain meds for my surgery, if not, then my husband is going to have to skip out on drinking for the holidays as well!

I'm in the hospital right now, the nurse just came in to give me some more medicine, and antibiotics as well. The pain has increased a little, I'm looking forward to working with PT tomorrow, and to eating, I couldn't eat after midnight Tuesday, so had dinner around 7:00. By the time I got into my room it was close to 8:00, and was not quite up to anything beyond jello, and a few saltines.

Hope everyone is doing well. If you are struggling, read, post, go to a meeting, just hang in there and you will get through the holidays, and be ready to kick off 2017 feeling great.

I am getting really excited to hit the one year mark on January 1st, and I'm so grateful to all who have helped me to get here!!

Merry a Christmas!
❤️Delilah
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck freedom

Welcome Jeni
Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyones welcome Jeni
Congrats on 60 days FreedomCA

again, hope you're back on your feet in no time Delilah

D
Old 12-22-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks for the post Dee

I am in!

Will be binging this weekend on OA, saw that some of you were watching it. Watched the first one last night.

Tough weekend for many, stick close!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone as we all ramp up for the holiday season. I feel good that I'll stay sober and keep the sweets down to a reasonable level and still have fun.

You are very welcome here Jeni.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
It will be a quiet Christmas this year, just me and my 2 kids and my grand daughter. The rest of my immediate family is vacationing in warmer climates this year. My mom and her husband are on a fancy boat trip from Fort Lauderdale, through the Panama Canal, and on to Los Angeles. Then they will fly back to Florida and stay in the south for a couple of months. I'm jealous, but happy that they are still able to take these trips in their mid-seventies.

This is my third sober Christmas - they just keep getting better!
Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm in!
I'm another solo-er on Christmas Day, but it's fine with me. I've found, not just at Christmas, but at other gatherings where people are drinking, that no one really listens to you. It's been my experience anyway. Seems it's all about the person/s who are drinking, and a lack of meaningful conversation leaves me frustrated. I'm not a Christmas person anyway. I'll be happy to have a quiet day and tuck up later with my blankie and watch a film or two! And check out SR of course!
Old 12-22-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great to see you Leshar

I'm in--not much of an X-mas person either but I now
have a sober spouse, which is all I truly wanted for the holiday
so feeling very festive from that
Old 12-22-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm here and in with you wonderfuls
Old 12-22-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Huge Welcome to Jeni!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders OutOnTheTiles, FreedomCA and jeni26

I hope you are feeling better very soon Delilah.

I am done for the day, about a half day to go tomorrow
Old 12-22-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey Sao
Old 12-22-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your pain Delilah. I hope that can be managed and that you feel more comfortable soon.

Hey MB

I've had a day braving the shops, I couldn't even get parked at the supermarket so I abandoned that idea and will get up early tomorrow instead.

I'm off tonight to a meeting where my sponsor is doing the lead share. I've not heard her whole story before so I'm looking forward to that.

So funny...I was thinking about how well I'm doing in sobriety, then a friend posted a picture of her having a glass of wine while she was wrapping her presents, and all of a sudden my AV was whispering...'well, doesn't that look nice' . .. I had to switch off my iPad and go do something else.

What the hell is all that about? How can my brain switch like that in an instant?

I got over it pretty quickly but still...
Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee for the intro.

I am in! I am looking forward to Christmas.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good day to everyone!

Delilah, I hope you have a speedy recovery. I think our battles with addiction strengthen us to face other challenges in our lives.

I am on vacation for all of December and January. I am spending most of the time at home, although I am going on a trip in January. I slept in until 9:30 today, just got a fire lit to warm up the house, and hope to keep up with this thread today.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm in. My family doesn't get into giant parties with drinking so Christmas dinner will be smallish and alcohol free.

This is such a hard time for some people. The expectations to be convivial. To drink in the warmth and the alcohol. People getting loud and louder, red faced and repeating, as the night goes on. I attend a beginner's AA meeting on Friday evenings and last week the discussion topic was strategies for staying sober during the holiday. Many people shared the stress they were feeling at having to be with their large families, all of whom drink. Their coping mechanisms were to a) focus on the kids and playing with them while the adults are all drinking, b) come early, help out a bit and leave early, c) not go at all. And finally, to talk about it and have your support in place before you go.

Jeni, I've been sober for the past 4 Christmases. Just last week I was romanticizing the idea of a glass of red wine after decorating the tree. It was really cold last week. I always drank during and after decorating the tree. Those thoughts will come so I understand your thoughts. When it happened to me I told myself I was being silly, that I'd end up passing out UNDER the tree, and I went and ate something. Enjoy your sponsor's share. That should be interesting.

Time to focus on working while at work.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I hear you, Jeni.

I've been sober for quite awhile, and I never, never want to drink again. That is cast in concrete.

I've had a bunch of momentary temptations--little darts--surface strikes that were easy to repel.

Near Thanksgiving I had my three-year mark--and within a week, for the first time in many months, a missile really hit the target--I was genuinely deeply troubled about the idea of finishing off a beer.

But I had someone remove the beer from the vicinity, and I quickly came back to my senses.

I guess the moral of the story is "Be confident, be proud, be strong--but never get complacent."
Old 12-22-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Evening all.

I've been so sleepy the past few days. No idea what it is. Even coffee hasnt helped. I feel pretty positive though, I think its just been an exhausting couple of months for me, its taken its toll a bit. Day 18 now and i'm mentally ready for a sober christmas weekend. For once i'm not afraid, and that feels pretty good