Notices

Relapse prevention weekender Dec 18

Old 12-17-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

From this Sample of one [Source], they ain't lookin' too good...

- Edmunds Quality Ratings - Nissan Sentra -

As you drill down to choices, be sure to talk to a few Mechanics. They gots all kinds of Opinions, based on what they see/fix. 2 Mechanics had the same Opinion of Da Wife's Passat as did Behan up-Thread.

I'm sure you could score a fine, used Lancia from someone...
Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I'm back. I went to a yoga class and again was the only student. It was exactly what I needed. When I got home, the sheer absolute mess didn't bother me. Only 3 days left of the weekend. Sad.

Soberp, I'm sorry you aren't getting more support from your husband. It doesn't sound like he's comfortable with emotions or fear. Hang in there. You're very strong to take this step for yourself.

Son still up. Going to wrestle him back into bed.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Good night everyone
Old 12-17-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning

As Olive said it has been a bear of a week but here we are, it's Friday at last. I have decided that I prefer doing my little runs in the dark - being seen to train is so ungentlemanly.

Soberpotamus, it sounds to me that your husband is more afraid of something - I don't know what it is - than you are of your surgery. Some result of you having successful surgery seems to be bothering him

Ruby, that's great that your dad is out of hospital

MesaMan well done for having that discussion with Mrs Mesa - I bet a lot of guys would have said nothing and let it fester

Brynn - i would love to know how you are at the moment, thinking of you

Glad all is well Behan

Jsbodhi - you may not have caught it but right at the very end of last week's Weekender thread I did a couple of posts about replacing your old car
Old 12-17-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post

The many hundreds of Posts and situations I've read about here on SR has been about like Jail House Law School for Addicts Sobering up. As when Inmates get very adept at Law to help themselves. The earnest POVs here have been invaluable in formulating my Positions, and in knowing I'm not alone.

Thanks for that. I agree. SR is like going from zero to sixty in a flash with regard to how much I have come to understand about addiction. The dead pan sound in so many posts rings clearer to me as time passes.

You consistently put forth a core belief and strength that helps me see my own.

Thanks for your posts MM.

Ken
Old 12-17-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Is Nissan sentra an ok car?!
It is not on sale in the UK so I have no opinion but IMAO, in general Nissan are well made, bomb proof reliability and good value but have that "designed by committee" look. I Googled a Sentra and it doesn't look bad.

This is just my personal opinion but I think you should go for a 3 door coupe, they are a bit less practical but they look good. I know you are not teenagers at Uni but it does give you more control over who gets in the back too. You are a young, single woman Jen so no need to buy something family friendly
Old 12-17-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Well, I ve just lost it today.

I got rid of all this Why me BS long time ago already - if something sucks, then I have to clinch my teeth and go.

But today I woke up to feeling uber crappy because of cold. Sore throad , splitting head and chills. I barely dragged myself to make coffe and forced to get dressed, put togather lunch and make it in time to/work.

I mean - really?

This cold seemed just to throw me out of balance. I just cant take all this Nii big deal stance eny more.

Since I was 4 years old all kind of crap has been raining on my head and I just supressed it all No big deal.

I just realized how tired I am - every action takes a lot from me. Eotional wounds are all inflamed and a slightest touch gives me a burst out.

Ive been really looking to this weekend, and Friday - some breathing space is fially gained - I mean in ages- and I so need to take care of some aspects of my life that go just beynd survival. And all can think about now is how to be more or less ok by monday because i cant afford myself a sick leave.

Its a beautiful day, but I am counting minutes to the end of working day and pointlessly staring at monitor.

Its like crap is never going to end in my life - in one form or another.

Sorry for this vent but I neeeeed a breeeeak! I feel so bad I dont know how I am going to make ti through the day.

Thank you for letting me vent out.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:34 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I wondered why they told us that. You know that lots of people will interpret that as some sort of deterministic statement -- thinking, oh, well, since I'm likely to relapse, why fight it?

And so they've set them up for a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Hi SP, I just purchased "Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey and picked it up last night - only read the intro and half the first chapter but this is exactly the type of flaws it points out from the outset.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Good morning troops. Got into work early as road not as busy as usual. Petrol prices have dropped to 0.99p/l in most places - the cheapest I have seen it in years!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

On my way to the airport. Feeling anxious about flying. This will be my first flight since I was a child without drinking on board!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

break it down into tiny steps Midnight ,
you can do it

m
Old 12-18-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
Good morning troops. Got into work early as road not as busy as usual. Petrol prices have dropped to 0.99p/l in most places - the cheapest I have seen it in years!
Snap - I commented on both of these this morning also - guessing a lot of people are out for Mad Friday so taking public transport into work etc as the main road near where I live into Manchester was virtually empty ?? - had plans that have been cancelled, the maddest it will get for me tonight will be a cup of Camomile tea, however whilst I've been gutted and utterly miserable about missing out on the previous few weekends away and the office xmas party last week that I've cancelled I don't feel anything about tonight, not bothered at all - that's a bonus :-)

Need to fill the car later today, I reckon it will be around the £50 mark - been a while since I could say that, similar size car in 2006 and when I bought it the cost was around £45 to £50 to fill it - kept it a few years as the wife had it after me, it was in excess of £70 at times !!!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yogini1603 View Post
On my way to the airport. Feeling anxious about flying. This will be my first flight since I was a child without drinking on board!
Good luck with that Yogini and have fun on your honeymoon, enjoy the company of your husband / films / music / food and the anticipation of where you are going to.

I was about to say pretty much the same re flying & drinking however I didn't / couldn't drink on my last flight either, that was one of the most horrendous days of my life due to the place I had taken myself through the crazy 8 day binge, my face smashed up and looking a complete mess (still no idea how or what happened) and my head in the worst place imaginable, it definitely was my rock bottom and not a place I ever wish to return too, I finally realised that I had to stop the madness with immediate effect. Any thoughts I ever have of taking another drink or doing any drugs I just need to think back to the feeling I had in that seat that day.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Morning All!

Good morning.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Just one more hour to go at work - good its Friday and it means shorter hours. All I can think about is to get home and crawl under the blanket.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Yogini, I get nervous right before too. But I just concentrate on getting comfortable in the seat, and slowing down my breathing. Then I wait for takeoff. It is actually exhilarating. You can sort of translate your nervous energy into excitement that way.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Jen, I drove a Jeep Liberty for about six years. That was my favorite vehicle ever. So much fun. Looks like a Jeep, drives like a car. Just enough room for groceries, dogs, camping gear, bikes, kayaks, etc.

That said, I'd also consider a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. Right now I'm driving a Mazda smaller SUV. It reminds me very much of my little Jeep.

Also, you might look at a Subaru wagon. Those are interesting, and I think they are slightly lower to the ground, so if you plan to carry something on top, it would put it within easy reach for you (assuming you aren't 6'0).
Old 12-18-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Hi SP, I just purchased "Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey and picked it up last night - only read the intro and half the first chapter but this is exactly the type of flaws it points out from the outset.
Oh? You know, I actually read this book sometime back in 2011 or so. And I've read quite a few recovery books in general. I'm also a skeptic by nature, and trained in research methods and statistics as a psych undergrad, lol. So, I'm sure I think scientifically about things. It can get on peoples' nerves, including my husband's. I've blown out of the water all his Facebook friends' fear mongering posts by pointing out to him that all he needs to do is google pubmed and look for the actual scientific studies published on X matter, rather than believe everything posted on the internet.

Specifically, I thought it was potentially dangerous for the recovery industry to focus on and point out these statistics to uneducated or ignorant (and I mean uninformed here) consumers/clients because not everyone knows how to filter and interpret data presented in this manner, and presented to them in their weakened state -- as they are leaving a rehab! My hope was that it did more good than harm, but I am not so sure about that.

Further, I thought it might also be potential sabotage, having the effect of churning them back through the system (and making more $ as a result of the churn) when they relapse.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

MB, hope you are comforted soon. A warm, dry bed sounds cozy. Hang in there.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 140 (permalink)