Notices

Relapse prevention weekender Dec 18

Old 12-18-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

I got sent to a really pricey Seminar nearby LAX eons ago: 'How To Sell To Your Customer At A Higher Price'. Really interesting.

The gist: appeal to Customer 'Wants' other than Price since - for most of us - the cheapest Price on something really isn't the deciding factor. Perceived - and utterly Subjective - Value is.

The funny 'Kicker' - that squarely applies here - was regarding Vehicle Purchases. Yah, I went around and compared Specs for my new Truck. Horsepower. Trailer Towing ability. Reliability. I didn't want to take care of Twin Turbos out here in Gomer_Ville, so I bought their straight V-8 Engine. 300 Horsies when I need them. ~23 mpg when cruising. On and on... Unleaded Gas is $1.80/Gallon 'round here; ~$0.45/Liter.

Ya go around and collect a bunch of 'Rational' Data. And then, do whatever the eff you want when making the Decision. The Car is cute. I like the color. The Dog will fit in it. Killer Sound System. The Sales Guy threw in Incentives 'x,y,z'.

The Seminar point: all the Rationality goes only so far. Then, most all of us do what we wanted to do in the first place. I found this insightful, inarguable Seminar conclusion very funny cuz it sho did apply here to Yours Truly.

I think my Flight From Hell was after a Night of drinking some Rotgut 'White Lightning' in Taiwan after being feted for saving some important Customer Account via Tech solutions. The next Morning, it was all I could do to not toss my Cookies on the Flight to Seoul. Straighten up. Give a Tech Class, or visit some Synchrotron Customers. Do it all over again the next Night. But, with much better Liquor at some Joint where local Newscasters and Dignitaries went for fancy-schmancy Dinners. Pricey Booze somehow tasted better on someone else's Amex Card.

- Boulder Flatirons Webcam -

Old 12-18-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh, gosh no, Behan. I'd never spoil it for anyone.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Haha, MLD51! Spoil it you must not. I'm afraid to even open facebook today for that very reason.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, gang.

Finally at home. Having a cup of tea. Stocked on all kinds of fruit on my way home - oranges, tangerines, persimmons, lemons, grapes...I need vitamin boost.

Before lunch at some moment I felt completely sick. I am very grateful that I had a quiet day at work - to be honest I was completely "out" , and should some challenging task come my way...I would do it, of course, but I'd be dead then.

Going to drag my laptop in bed together with tea and fruit. Heaven on Earth)

See you.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Your truck looks right at home against that mountain range background, Mesa.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I'm going to find some breakfast and then I'm off to play with the plants for a while --hopefully with no management emails or texts to deflate me. I will just have to take them in stride. I will be focusing on my "pause" abilities today.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Got to say I do like the colour of the truck Mesa

$0.45 per litre !!! and to think we're happy that our fuel has just come down in price to under £1.00 for the first time in years, it was touching £1.50 not that long ago.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Check this out MLD and other fans of course!

Moment the Spire turned into a lightsaber
Old 12-18-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

That is very cool, Behan!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Haven't had time to catch up with all the posts. I'm having a break and hiding in my room because my mother is driving me insane.

My brother and his wife will be here next week for one night. ONE NIGHT.
My mom's all "we need new lamps, duvets, curtains, bedside table".

I finished the vacuuming and mentioned that I am feeling a bit warm - apparently Ireland is having its warmest winter for 60 years. All I got was "don't get a flu before Christmas".

My Christmas miracle will be to survive the event itself.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Welp ~

Here's an interesting bit re: U.K. Booze Black Friday.

'The Friday before Christmas last year saw alcohol takings rise in pubs, clubs, restaurants and hotels by 142 per cent, with still more sales from shops and supermarkets.'

'NHS services are braced for a surge in Accident and Emergency attendances, with booze buses laid on in some cities to cope with inebriated party goers.'

There's a handy Alcohol Units Guideline in this Article. Made me think of that Teen that Tetra overheard talking about swilling 4 Cans + 200 mL of Hard Liquor. According to my Math, the 200 mL = ~4.5 Liquor Shots @ ~1.5 Ounces each. Plus, 4 Cans of what I would guess were to be Strong Ale. The Outcome? One seriously-Hammered Teen. He was looking at ingesting ~25 Units of Alcohol where 3~4 Units/Daily is the recommended NHS Guideline.

Trigger Alert ~ There are a few Booze Pix in this Article. IMO, none are flattering. Other un-glamorous Pix - like a 65 Foot-long Alcohol Recovery Ward on Wheels - flesh out the Story.

- Booze Sales Spike On Booze Black Friday ~ Telegraph.co.uk -

And, in other Cause & Effect Booze News...

- The Most Dangerous Day To Drive ~ Telegraph.co.uk -
Old 12-18-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Do your best

Can't wait for star wars
Old 12-18-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
saoutchik

STAR WARS SPOILER!

Some spaceships zap each other
Old 12-18-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Ha ha! Thanks, Sao. That's good.

My brother saw it last night and said the acting was good. The action was good. Plot? He's still thinking about that one.

That was when I saw him in the emergency room at the hospital this morning. Dad's back in. He fainted last night around 2a.m. he'll be in at least overnight. Probably not much longer. He's in good spirits but is sporting bruises over his eye from where he fell. Face plant. So, I drove my mother back over to the hospital then home again. She is a bit tired so I didn't want her to drive anymore.

So I've had a busy morning. I'm waiting for Mr Ruby while he sees his doctor. It's just to have paperwork filled out for his health insurance but I suggested he ask his doctor for an antabuse prescription. He's open to it. I've got tons to do but I think I'll be babysitting Mr. Ruby for a few days to keep an eye on him.

Tetra, keep hiding out. Deep breaths.

MB, I hope you feel better soon. All that fruit sounds lovely.

Doctors office has soap operas playing in lobby with "please do not touch TV" sign. Ugh.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Mesa - i believe you have a modern incarnation of our firms fairly ancient Ford 350 twin screw from 2001.
It's great for narrow London streets.not. At one point I had converted it it to right hand drive but had to "bodge" it and it failed it's MOT (annual road test)
This is an old photo - it is currently black and white.
Lucky to get 12mpg (and UK gallons a bit larger than US) Only used when we have to

Sorry about your dad Ruby - mine has COPD and is also unsteady on his feet

MidnightBlue - get some cold/flu remedy too - they do help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015-12-18 18.39.21.jpg (45.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-18-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

I am in for a sober weekend. Perhaps one of the toughest since I started recovery 14 days ago. Monday may be harder with a party looming that I have to make an appearance at. Committing though.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
In bed, trying to fall asleep.

Why is that - when TV is on, and I still need to brush teeth and so on, I can't get myself out of bed. Once I am ready to go - I can't fall asleep.

Ruby - Hugs and best of luck to you. Hope this Doctor appointment will help Mr Ruby to get on sobriety track.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Old 12-18-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
In bed, trying to fall asleep.

Why is that - when TV is on, and I still need to brush teeth and so on, I can't get myself out of bed. Once I am ready to go - I can't fall asleep.

Ruby - Hugs and best of luck to you. Hope this Doctor appointment will help Mr Ruby to get on sobriety track.
Me too, watch something and can't keep my eyes open- turn it off, get into bed and I'm wide awake.
Very annoying
Old 12-18-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Welcome, Avra!

Can you arrange your own transportation so you can zip out of there if you get uncomfortable? I just don't go to parties. Problem solved.