View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Hi SP, I just purchased "Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey and picked it up last night - only read the intro and half the first chapter but this is exactly the type of flaws it points out from the outset.
Oh? You know, I actually read this book sometime back in 2011 or so. And I've read quite a few recovery books in general. I'm also a skeptic by nature, and trained in research methods and statistics as a psych undergrad, lol. So, I'm sure I think scientifically about things. It can get on peoples' nerves, including my husband's. I've blown out of the water all his Facebook friends' fear mongering posts by pointing out to him that all he needs to do is google pubmed and look for the actual scientific studies published on X matter, rather than believe everything posted on the internet.

Specifically, I thought it was potentially dangerous for the recovery industry to focus on and point out these statistics to uneducated or ignorant (and I mean uninformed here) consumers/clients because not everyone knows how to filter and interpret data presented in this manner, and presented to them in their weakened state -- as they are leaving a rehab! My hope was that it did more good than harm, but I am not so sure about that.

Further, I thought it might also be potential sabotage, having the effect of churning them back through the system (and making more $ as a result of the churn) when they relapse.