Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Have I got a problem? or just a coping mechanism, drinking after trauma

Notices

Have I got a problem? or just a coping mechanism, drinking after trauma

Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

WD, ok great, we are making great progress.
Other than reducing your drinking (and we have tried to explain why that will not work for long), is there anything else you think you can do to address your problem?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Maybe you could go back and read your highly argumentative angry posts?

I don't usually stay in a thread where every post from the OP is an argument - so I wish you well, and hope you find your way out. Spend some time reading instead of attacking, perhaps? We want to help.

Did you read anything else in my post, or just that one sentence?

Good luck to you.
why bother responding then? it was you lot that told me not to drink. im moody because i havent had anything to drink. okay. im not trying to argue. i feel attacked anyway.. honestly im not even an angry person. i sit back and let everything happen, im the happiest person you would ever meet face to face you will never hear one negitive emotion mood whatever noice from me, im always happy. but thats because im always half a day away from a drink.

i have not drank since wednesday and its friday now. and i just feel like im trying. but it doesnt make me feel good. . im not a horrible person.

it seems like i get like this if i have had nothing to drink after a day and ahalf.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
WD, ok great, we are making great progress.
Other than reducing your drinking (and we have tried to explain why that will not work for long), is there anything else you think you can do to address your problem?
Anything like what, I am not going to the dr as they were useless last time.

But I am open to try anything.

I dont have booze in the house. Like this one bottle my ex just got in for me . so i know if i had loads in i would drink it all i really am trying
Old 12-11-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

There are a couple of things you can do I think. Keeping the booze out of the house is a great idea. I actually packaged mine up 11 days ago and gave it to a stranger on the street!
It might be a good idea to avoid your friends who are most likely to make you want to drink or encourage you to drink. Also avoid places that are most likely to make you want to drink like pubs and clubs. Not forever, but for a little while as you figure out how to address this problem.
Also try to not allow yourself to get too tired or hungry as they tend to be common triggers.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, your feistiness should serve you well in life, wheeling.

Just for the record. . . any more than one six ounce glass of wine per day is too much for women according to health guidelines. Look it up - you are not in control. One glass a day is "in control." (Not to exceed seven glasses in a week.)

You're gonna do what you're gonna do. Nothing we say has been helpful.

I hope you get some help for your anger and resentment problems - that will eat you up. I understand how difficult your life has become and I even understand wanting to numb it out. It's just that this is a sobriety website. Your physical and emotional problems are real, no one is denying that. We are saying that if you come to a sobriety website, no one is going to say that your (other) problems are reason to drink. The drinking is going to take you to a very dark place emotionally - and could kill you.

Your choice.

Are you involved in any support groups for spinal cord injury patients? Not the volunteer stuff that you do at school, actual support with a therapist.
Hmm dont think I said anyone should say my reasons are reasons to drink, Infact i think i said clearly that i know my issues are not a reason to drink that infact i know others would handle it in a healthier way. Perhaps you missed that bit.
The only reason I mentioned my current situation is to explain this current 'binge'.

Lol yes because they just throw therapists around no wait at all :p

I have one person from spinal chord injurys charity, who i have seen twice. ( once in hosp and once on discharge) I am not a fan of these giant wheeler meet ups.

I do have a wheeler friend who i met through him who we are going to go out drinking with.

I was ment to be getting wasted at another guy wheelers house today, and staying over, but i realised that was not a good idea, as i seem to get even more wasted with others.

so i opted to stay at home. little things ..
Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Oh, and my fiestyness has got me far so far lol. i feel better now actually.

I never think about my drinking.. i know inside that planning to drink the way i do makes me feel its not a lost control as i planed to drink that much but really who plans to drink that much?

i just wish there was a way to sort this without stopping all in one go because i have realised i cant.

last week or whenever was the first time i had felt this craving feeling that was making me feel desperate. then i felt it again just now before i opened this bottle.

that is what is bothering me. the amount i drank wednesday.. and how hung over i was thusday , i was vommiting till 6pm and i missed my hospital apointment, so that one time it effected my life.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

There are a couple of things you can do I think. Keeping the booze out of the house is a great idea. I actually packaged mine up 11 days ago and gave it to a stranger on the street!
It might be a good idea to avoid your friends who are most likely to make you want to drink or encourage you to drink. Also avoid places that are most likely to make you want to drink like pubs and clubs. Not forever, but for a little while as you figure out how to address this problem.
Also try to not allow yourself to get too tired or hungry as they tend to be common triggers.
i had no idea tired is a trigger, im always tired, my pains worse at night, so i dont sleep much.

But the thing about avoiding friends who drink that will be hard. i no longer am incontact with my pre wheeler friends, as they could not deal with the new me in the chair. anyway all my now friends are uni friends, and all we do is go out for meals and eat out and drink.

next wednesday is a big night.

and i dont see me going out and not drinking ..

the food ones fine as im always eating lol

i wont see them much after next week till new year, so i could have a few weeks break..

those friends make me feel alive il put it that way they dont see the chair at all.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Im happy again Can I stay now?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thats a big shock. only 7 glasses a week, whats that a bottle and ahalf?

what does it do to your health other than your liver? as my liver is fine.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Its progressive WD, it will just keep getting worse until you stop. We all wish we could drink less like "normal people" but addiction doesn't work like that. Any addiction, its the nature of the beast. For an addict its all or nothing. The all will kill you eventually so really it has to be nothing.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I get more wasted with others because people keep saying " your to responsible you never get drunk" .. lol its like little do you guys know im the biggest pisshead out of all of us lol i just dont show it when im drunk. wheeling drunk its very fun though. bettter than wheeling sober.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

yeah we all get emotional and cranky when we are tired and its so tempting to reach for the bottle to knock us out or numb the reality. Getting sleep, eating and staying around positive non drinkers helps most people hugely
Old 12-11-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheelingdizzy View Post
I get more wasted with others because people keep saying " your to responsible you never get drunk" .. lol its like little do you guys know im the biggest pisshead out of all of us lol i just dont show it when im drunk. wheeling drunk its very fun though. bettter than wheeling sober.
they can say what they like, they are not the ones admitting they have a drinking problem. if you are going to address this you really need to shut out the triggers
Old 12-11-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Its progressive WD, it will just keep getting worse until you stop. We all wish we could drink less like "normal people" but addiction doesn't work like that. Any addiction, its the nature of the beast. For an addict its all or nothing. The all will kill you eventually so really it has to be nothing.
Not that I am arguing, I am just wondering, my other addictions i managed to stop on my own with no intervention.

Is it a possibility that perhaps in me there is something that whats to go wild for a while, but when my mind has had enough i could just say " enough" or is different addictions different in how you can stop? or ability to stop?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

honestly, I don't know enough about you or your other addictions to answer that but I do know alcohol well, far too intimately, and I know how powerful and nasty it is so please be careful. I need to sleep now (I am in Asia). Another non drinking night for me so a bright, early productive day for me tomorrow. Take care....
Old 12-11-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

honestly, I don't know enough about you or your other addictions to answer that but I do know alcohol well, far too intimately, and I know how powerful and nasty it is so please be careful. I need to sleep now (I am in Asia). Another non drinking night for me so a bright, early productive day for me tomorrow. Take care....
Im very happy for you.

Sweeet dreams.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

in all honesty i would rather i did not drink at all, as although i feel good right now. the yucky taste i get in my mouth when im starting to sober up.. etc. the fact that i know your not supposed to drink for a buzz. i just cant seperate the difference between binge drinking and worse.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

i think im 24. what 24year old do i know that isnt drunk all the time? when there having fun? but im not having fun exaclty.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheelingdizzy View Post
thank you for your time,

and you have worded everythings great.

can you explain this bit " don't know if the old rules apply in terms of comparing your drinking now to what you drank before"

And your right i gues il never know what the right dose is, and the funny thing is it doesnt make the pain in my spine better, but it makes it more managable because i just am feeling so out of it.

I thought i was doing the right things stopping meds, as i said i told my gp not to give me a big dose of morphine, it was either the morphine or i go back into hospital which he wanted at the time ( this was the day after i came home )

but when they prescribed me this giant bottle i couldnt believe it.

il be honest twice i took 5mg when i just wanted too.

then i realised i needed to stop.

i thought i was really proud of myself then .. but it appears im not doing aswell as i thought lol

And no, Im not getting help were i should be getting it. because i dont want to feel i need help.

Refused help from this thing you get a package so someone can come help you in morning and bed time with personal care, that is not something for me at all.

the spinal chord injury charity who came to see me in hosp insisted i talk to a solicter due to the negligence that made my injury worse while in hosp , i spoke to her once. i find it overwhelming. and i told him i dont need money anyway.

every one says you dont look disabled you look so cute just sat in a chair . i dont want people to know i need help. it takes me 45 minutes to put my shoes on in the morning. i wear the highest heals, and i wont swap them for trainers, even though i know there not doing my feet any good now i cant barely feel them i dont care lol

i think there might be something wrong with me because the sci(spinal chord injured) people i have spoke to said i dont seem to care whats happened, im just like whatever , i havent orgonized regulare deliveries for my personal care items etc,

and i go up and down on my ass everyday to go upstairs etc which is bad for your skin but i just dont care, i dont care about any of it, i really dont other sci people cant believe i starteduni so soon etc. sometimes i get really sick i think my body catches up with me and then i realise damn i am disabled i want to switch it off.

when im out with my friends i transfer onto a booth seat and push my wheelchair to there side and i sit there and drink and drink, not disabled then you know?

you really are right. i dont want to let anyone down.. people walk up to me and say " wow my mum and dads disabled and i wish theyd come out and have fun dancing and not care about anyone or anyone looking like you your amazing " people are happy when i look happy. how would they feel if they knew maybe im not doing so great? i want to be perfect, and i could be perfect, i could act like my life was perfect before this, now im sat down in this chair, there is no hiding it.
Hi wheeling dizzy,

Sorry, it took me a while to catch up with your posts today, but wanted to answer your question about why I said that bit about not knowing if the old rules apply.

In a more recent post you wrote "I am just wondering, my other addictions i managed to stop on my own with no intervention." And I got the sense from your first post that you were comparing what you were drinking now with what you used to do.

The thing is, your life has obviously had a fundamental change. I've often wondered how I'd cope if I lost the use of my legs. And I really, genuinely don't know. I like to think I'd eventually manage to adjust, but it would turn my life completely upside down. So no, I don't for a minute know what you're going through. But what I can sense, very, very clearly, is the pain you're in (emotional pain, though sounds like the physical pain is hard as well). And it breaks my heart to see you suffering so much.

So my point was just that you are having to find a new way to live. And right now, alcohol is playing a big part in that. So while you might have been in total control of drinking in the past, it's how you're handling it right now that's important. And the choices you make now could well have a lasting impact. Which is why many of us are hoping you will try to make this adjustment without using alcohol the way you have been.

I hope everyone here understands that with this life change happening so recently you'll be feeling a lot of very, very strong emotions, that may well swing all over the map. Of course you're sometimes bitter, angry, in pain, depressed. But also defiant, strong, determined, wanting to show the world you can handle this. Why wouldn't you want to do everything you used to do, and be admired for how well you're coping? To show how you can still laugh, drink, party, hang out with the gang, be like any other student.

My main point still stands though. I don't see looking for outside help and support as a sign of weakness. I always see it as a sign of strength. It takes courage to admit to yourself that for all your undoubted strength of will, life can be a struggle. Particularly when dealing with such a traumatic change.

I really hope you will reconsider some of those offers of help you say you've turned down. If other people in your situation are surprised about those decisions, it's probably a sign that they find them very useful.

In other words, try and see if you can reduce the burden on yourself. And maybe that might reduce the need for you to find other, less healthy ways to cope?

Please accept these thoughts in the spirit they're intended. I'm not judging you at all. I understand why you've made the choices you've made. I just want to see you get as much help and support as possible while you make this transition to a new life that you certainly never chose, but are stuck with nevertheless.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
Hi wheeling dizzy,

Sorry, it took me a while to catch up with your posts today, but wanted to answer your question about why I said that bit about not knowing if the old rules apply.

In a more recent post you wrote "I am just wondering, my other addictions i managed to stop on my own with no intervention." And I got the sense from your first post that you were comparing what you were drinking now with what you used to do.

The thing is, your life has obviously had a fundamental change. I've often wondered how I'd cope if I lost the use of my legs. And I really, genuinely don't know. I like to think I'd eventually manage to adjust, but it would turn my life completely upside down. So no, I don't for a minute know what you're going through. But what I can sense, very, very clearly, is the pain you're in (emotional pain, though sounds like the physical pain is hard as well). And it breaks my heart to see you suffering so much.

So my point was just that you are having to find a new way to live. And right now, alcohol is playing a big part in that. So while you might have been in total control of drinking in the past, it's how you're handling it right now that's important. And the choices you make now could well have a lasting impact. Which is why many of us are hoping you will try to make this adjustment without using alcohol the way you have been.

I hope everyone here understands that with this life change happening so recently you'll be feeling a lot of very, very strong emotions, that may well swing all over the map. Of course you're sometimes bitter, angry, in pain, depressed. But also defiant, strong, determined, wanting to show the world you can handle this. Why wouldn't you want to do everything you used to do, and be admired for how well you're coping? To show how you can still laugh, drink, party, hang out with the gang, be like any other student.

My main point still stands though. I don't see looking for outside help and support as a sign of weakness. I always see it as a sign of strength. It takes courage to admit to yourself that for all your undoubted strength of will, life can be a struggle. Particularly when dealing with such a traumatic change.

I really hope you will reconsider some of those offers of help you say you've turned down. If other people in your situation are surprised about those decisions, it's probably a sign that they find them very useful.

In other words, try and see if you can reduce the burden on yourself. And maybe that might reduce the need for you to find other, less healthy ways to cope?

Please accept these thoughts in the spirit they're intended. I'm not judging you at all. I understand why you've made the choices you've made. I just want to see you get as much help and support as possible while you make this transition to a new life that you certainly never chose, but are stuck with nevertheless.
YOU CAME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

I am comparing both, PERHAPS I SHOULDNT :p

What I want to know is this bit " I have often wondered how i would cope if i loss the use of my legs"

What would make you think about that? Its not something people usually thinks of? Unless you have a fear of being trapped ?

And wow you get it thank you!! you really do get it, im not coming across very well here. but thank you for seeing what is really going on, i could cry, i really could, i almost am, gosh. you 100percent get it, and i gues ive seen alot of people here dont as much as you do, i wonder why or how you became so empathetic because its not something someone would usually get?

And hun , for real i see no judgment in your post
I like you alot

You have made my night, honestly

ask me anything and il be honest and tell you anything.

i was ready to leave here tonight and go back to my closed of life but i really apreiciate your understanding.

it means so much

and your really right. i need to accept some help i probably would drink less if i was not so fustrated with myself

Your amazing you truely are, and I am wondering how you are doing?

x