Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Have I got a problem? or just a coping mechanism, drinking after trauma

Notices

Have I got a problem? or just a coping mechanism, drinking after trauma

Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

But. Essentially I'd rather not drink. I've bought lemonade and some cordials to make a non also sangria. It taste yummy. But I don't want to exclude myself from social events. I wasn't thst keen on going as I thought I'd get drunk. But after two drinks. I started to feel abit uncomfortable because I remembered the numb feeling I felt the next day the last time I drank. So quickly insisted on lemonade.

I suppose what I'm saying is there 100 percent will be no more downing bottles of wine. I can really promise that I find that disgusting now the thought of it. As I haven't done it in so long.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand you feel you're making progress and that's great.

If your aim to to cut down to zero, you're going to have to be more and more strict on yourself in those social situations.

If you have any ideas you might keep alcohol in your life - but at a lesser volume and frequency - I'm sorry but I believe you're probably going to be disappointed, sooner or later.

Most of us can point to times when we 'drank like a gentleman' (or a lady). Usually for me it was when my drinking had scared me.

The number of times we did that against the number of times we lost control is miniscule tho, right?

so...it can't be control - so it must be good luck - and good luck never lasts too long?

D
Old 05-08-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I understand you feel you're making progress and that's great.

If your aim to to cut down to zero, you're going to have to be more and more strict on yourself in those social situations.

If you have any ideas you might keep alcohol in your life - but at a lesser volume and frequency - I'm sorry but I believe you're probably going to be disappointed, sooner or later.

Most of us can point to times when we 'drank like a gentleman' (or a lady). Usually for me it was when my drinking had scared me.

The number of times we did that against the number of times we lost control is miniscule tho, right?

so...it can't be control - so it must be good luck - and good luck never lasts too long?

D
I fully understand that makes loads of sence. Thank you dee I'm having surgery soon. So I will be cold Turkey no choice in the matter soon. Perhaps then I can have no booze at all
Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

I'm pouring the sambuca I have away. And the vodka.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

I've created a new post In daily support new comers

Here is what it says hope to see some of u over there and thank u for every thing

Home / Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
I have decided to quit all together! Thanks to you all.
Today 10:42 PM by TheBeaches
Hi. I've changed my username but still attached to my post I'm creating a new post. As to not trigger myself reading old reply I've posted while drunk.

As some of you know. I though I could be a social drinker. But I realise thanks to you guys saying it over and over again. That isn't a good idea as that is how my serious drinking cycles start and seem to never end drinking day after day. I have decided to take control of my life. I thought drinking made me feel better. It did at the time but I didn't realise the next day I was feeling numb disconnected and sad. I didn't realise that was because of the drink it's not good for my body and I need to take care of it. No one else will. So my first goal is to make it without a drink till 31 June. Now I'd like to never drink again but for me I need to reach that goal then set another one to keep going. I like a challenge and I seem to quit if I just say il never drink again. I've not gone that long without a drink to be honest in maybe 10 years. Yes.. I started drinking pretty young a kid really.

I'm on day 4 of cold Turkey. I hope I can check in here and let people know how im doing.

I can't believe that I was 100 percent sure I was not quiting for good when I joined here in fact I hardly believed my drinking was a problem I was in denial. I can't believe how people I've never met have changed my way of thinking and for that I am greatful
Old 05-12-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi

I moved your new thread back to this forum as the daily support forum is only for continuation of existing threads once they get to 500 posts

follow the link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-you-all.html

D
Old 05-30-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Ah, Hello there, I was searching for you by your old user name but see you have changed it! I was thinking of you last night and wondering how things are going? How are you feeling? Have you been able to address some of the medical stuff? And of course you know I will ask about the drinking. I hope you are finding the strength to get and stay sober. xx