Notices

Let's share Weekender Sept 11 until...

Old 09-11-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I used to manage candy stores in NYC and back in 93 I was supposed to be in work but slept in as I was hung over. I was on the train coming into work when the bomb went. I was the district manager so I moved all the employees over to my other stores so they could get paid until we had access back. The hole in the floor at the bottom of the extremely long escalators going from the mall down to the subways was huge. Amazing not more were hurt then.

As for the 2001 I had just moved to Maine the first time. I, like many, noticed the stunning day and weather. Even commented on it to others.

I too was huddled around a small tv at work and everyone was sent home soon after the second plane hit. I was on the phone with a friend and he went crazy and we ended the call.

I have been back to the memorial. A wonderfully designed monument to this tragedy. If you have the chance to go see it please do. One thing that always struck me. The size of the buildings were immense. I used to look up and get dizzy. Look down and get dizzy too when I went to the top. But the foot print of which the memorial is set seems rather tiny. But the effects of the waterfalls simply amazing.

I did a pencil sketch of a firemans name on the wall that passed from the wall. I framed it and presented it to his friend I used to hang with. He was touched to say the least.

Ken
Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I was in bed sleeping when my mom called and said "we're under attack! we're under attack! we're at war!" I went and watched tv all morning.
The memories of that day are horrible but are fortunately overshadowed by one wonderful memory I have.
There was a nationwide call for blood donations, sadly they were not needed as most died from their injuries. But that day they were calling for blood from anyone who could donate. I went to the local shopping mall in the afternoon, they had set up a huge blood drive. As I was walking in I was surrounded by hundreds of others, from all walks of life, walking to the doors to do what little they could to help. All colors, ages, religions…. young teenagers with their pants hanging down below their butts, professional business people who had left work in suits to come , mothers with small children, men and women wearing various religious headgear, elderly couples walking with canes. It was a shining moment on such a dark day.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Just cooked and eaten red mullet with lemon, garlic and parsley sauce, mashed potato and soya beans. Feeling better already, strawberry ice cream for pud in a minute
Old 09-11-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I just found out ive got my contacts in the wrong eyes!

Besides that I just saw the most amazing bird! I have no idea what it was but small black and bright orange! It stopped at the feeder for maybe 5 seconds and then flew off! Gotta go put my contacts in the correct eyes then I'll try and find out what it was!!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Wow, first time looking at this on the computer I always use my phone. You all look different :0

Thanks Sao for helping me with my slip up. ..no idea i had typed Ruby..
I know love that the 'Rugby World Cup' is the 'Ruby Whirled Cup'.

For those of you who won't watch the games on this side of the world [hosted in the UK] heres a teaser from the 'all blacks' with the haka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiKFYTFJ_kw

Saturday morning here…. I've got to clean up for the cleaner.. []
Old 09-11-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ok...contacts in their proper eyes. I'm looking up birds but now I think it might have been bright yellow/orange on the breast and black everywhere else.
I need trachs expertise on this one! Where are you trach??

Trees...I do the same thing before my cleaning lady comes! And when she's here I feel guilty not helping her! Blah!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Trees - have you voted for what flag you want yet? I think its great that people actually get to vote on their own flag

Changing the subject I just read that Keith Richards old Bentley S3 Continental, named Blue Lena after Lena Horne is on sale at auction tomorrow if anyone has a spare £400-600K

I bet there is a secret compartment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150911_200308.jpg (32.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-11-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

9/11...I remember it clearly. I was in my bedroom at home, packing to go back to college when I got tired and sat on the bed and turned on the radio. Then my mom called me from work and said someone had heard something but they couldn't find a radio there. Then my dad called me from his office. Someone had found a small telly and every one was huddled around it. It's sad. I read an article lately about the "dust lady". Sad that it's still taking lives 14 years later.

I've arrived in Dublin. The hotel is tiny but it's fine. I wasn't sure whether to come or not. I was feeling very flat this week. Plus it's raining heavily. But if we Irish let the rain stop us from doing things, we'd get nothing done.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Sounds like an oriole, Brynn.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

They are indeed amazing. I have a special feeder so I get them right on my deck. They are attracted to grape jelly and orange slices.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Brynn, did the bird look anything like my avatar? If so, yep that's an oriole! There are several kinds of orioles, but all have a really stunning bright orange and black pattern.

9/11. I was one of 3 roommates, the only guy to wake up early. I was getting ready to go to a college class and packing up my book-bag. I put CNN on the TV and there was big news about a plane crashing into one of the towers. At the time, the media thought it might have been an accident. As I was watching live, the 2nd plane hit and WOAH everything changed. Yelled upstairs to my roommates, one came down and watched with me the whole day. My sister was living in NYC and we were frantically trying to contact her. She later told us that she actually watched the first tower fall down through the window of her office. Such an amazingly horrible experience. Very somber day.

We would do best to remember those feelings we had on 9/11 when we think about today's war refugees. Many of them have been through bombings, wars, and worse. Their lives have been turned upside down. Remember how scary it was for us on 9/11, and imagine how scary it must be for the thousands of displaced citizens around the globe.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Way to go on your Dublin arrival, Tetra! I am very jealous of your travels I know many of us would kill to be spending the weekend in a tiny Dublin hotel as the rain came down...sounds charming, really!
Old 09-11-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

gotta go with the consensus. Orange and black is an oriole. Or something abused by some SEC football team.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Tater tot hot dish in the oven. Those with upper midwest ties will know what I'm talking about. I refuse to use canned soup in mine, so made a creamy mushroom and ground beef sauce from scratch. No vegetables in mine either. Just meat, mushrooms, onions, garlic, beef broth, milk, flour, some soy and Worcestershire, bit of ketchup. Tater tots, and maybe some cheese later on top. Yummy comfort food for a coolish early fall night.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Rar

In for the weekend. It's my first weekend since my re-commitment, so I appreciate all of this wonderful company.

Day 5
Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I think y'all are right about the oriole I've just never seen one down here before. And I've never been so interested in birds before this summer....maybe I'm a bird lady instead of a cat lady.

Hi trach

I had a very early dinner with my god sons mom. Baby kale and spinach salad and veggie burgers. It's still too hot here for warm fall dishes. Crud.

Oh, and I discovered that wal marts brand of sparking water is pretty good. And inexpensive too.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Hooray for college football and NFL on sunday. Tater dish sounds delish. My wife makes a cheesy potatoe sausage breakfast casserole. I usual need a prilosec before and after but its darn good.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, just checking in. I myself also had some much needed comfort food. Cheeseburger and cheese curds. I think I'll be going to bed rather early tonight as I am just exhausted.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

My cat loves birds. Tasty.

Actually, she's left them alone lately. I'm hanging out with the kids, watching TV. We had cheese ravioli and green beans for dinner. Nothing gourmet. MLD, I'd love to do a hot dish but not sure kids would eat it.

If there are nuts in Ruby Whirled Cup I nominate almonds.

Nothing big planned this weekend. We do have fall weather this weekend. It was 63 at 5:30 so it'll be colder tonight. I can turn on the oven.

Good to see everyone here. Tetra, enjoy Dublin!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hello, W'enders --

Back from a nice vacay with my mother. She did well on the trip and I enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with her, just the two of us.

So what do a couple travelers do when they arrive at one of the loveliest places the Midwest has to offer? Go to the British imports store, of course!

I thought of Wolfie, Mecanix, Sao and our other fine Brit friends. Thought you'd enjoy:

I'm doing my part to confirm. Actually, I remember Kit Kats in England are far better but wanted to make sure nothing had changed since it's been a while since my last visit.