Notices

Ring Ring! Sober Weekender Thread Aug 14

Old 08-13-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

We all have so much to learn.

Being sober? Living sober? Let it be instinctual.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Welcome to all the new names, wow - there are a lot of them! A Plan. For me in the early days it was.
1. Don't drink
2. Write in my gratitude list every day
3. Light exercise
4. Netflix
5. Lots of food and water
6. I was going to AA meetings every day in the first few months. It got me dressed and out of the house and focused on recovery.
7. I was here in my Class of March 2014 thread every day. I read a lot on these forums. If I couldn't sleep (pretty common in early sobriety) - I came here. Lots of pajama time. I didn't "should" myself at all in the first month. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness, because I was.

The zoo was great. Highlight of the trip: I watched as they moved four female White-faced Whistling Ducks (two/three months old, so first time away from the parents) into the same habitat as the Ring-tailed Lemurs. There was a lot of nervous whistling from the ducklings (they're full grown) and they stayed clumped together. The five lemurs were basically, "Now what?" They've only been here since Spring - so every day is an adventure for them. Everyone settled, lemurs got some treats. One of the zoo employees called the ducks "toys" for the lemurs. Apparently the lemurs are quite accommodating and have been hand-feeding the wild mallards who hang around. I thought that was nice; sharing with strangers, right?

Popcorn and ice cream just might be dinner. Junk food day. Popcorn is a vegetable, isn't it?

My post loses effect when you cannot see this post on the last page. Thanks BiM!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Night...

How about a check in with all the new and under a hundred crowd every day this weekend?

Accountable is wonderful.

K
Old 08-13-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

TGIT and I don't work Fridays...that is all
Old 08-13-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ruby - Cubs VS Sox means a lot to me. I'm a Chicago native - north side. Still a huge cubs fan. I miss Wrigley!!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I went to the funeral of a person who I knew/met in NA when I "first" got clean in NA many moons ago. He died by suicide. He had started drinking again and was fighting many demons. I saw many familiar faces; many of who are drinking again. I sat next to my ex-husband who had the smell of alcohol on his breath. He and I also got clean together in NA many moons ago.

I'm just feeling vulnerable...not wanting to drink....ok...maybe a little....but I know for sure I'm not going to. I'm just sad and wanting to not feel the sadness...that is what is really going on....I don't want to drink...I just don't want to feel sad and I want it to go away. But it cannot. I must stay with this and feel it because if I don't, it will manifest in some really bad way at some point. Maybe I'm also a little jealous/envious that some of them "can" drink and I can't. The reality is that they can't I'm sure but they haven't figured it out yet like I have.

I'm being gentle with myself tonight and staying close to home with Pup and my son. Pizza and ice cream was had....and perhaps more ice cream again! I just wanted to throw this out there to lighten the load a bit.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Buenosdias amigos
An old dine. Mexican restaurant.converted into a

I hate this thing.
I'm sorry.........what?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Welcome Yoga!!!!

Check in often. The first gives such big rewards come Monday. You can choose not to drink.

What is your plan for the weekend?

Ken
Hi Ken, thanks for the welcome! I will definitely be checking in. Fri night I want to do an online SMART meeting. I'm hiking with a friend and my DD on Saturday. Cook on Sunday and hang out with my DD. If I like the SMART meeting on Friday, I will do them Sat and Sun too. Otherwise I'll find an AA meeting to go to.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Yay, I'm on late! 2 more busy days at work then a day off!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Soberclover, I'm sorry you're sad. Through it is best. I hate that feeling of "they can drink, why shouldn't I?" I know that they can't, or shouldn't either but I still resent it. Hugs.

Daughter came home from mother in law's and son and I had to endure her half hour crying temper tantrum because son and I went bowling without her. She expected us to not do anything fun while she was having fun. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Feeling left out and missing out.

We finished the cleaning in the bedroom. Too bad the rest of the house is trashed. Oh, well, there's always the remainder of vacation.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good Thursday Sober Enders!!!

Long day at work, but I am home now. Tomorrow is my random off day for the week, and lo, Monday is next weeks random off day. So...., that means four days off!!! Mini vacation!
Lets go somewhere fun, Ruby!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Is this seat taken? Ready and willing for DAY 6!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Caliredhead - welcome. Much wisdom around here.

Ruby - have a fantastic vaycay. I hope you're doing some fun and relaxing things.

Midnight Blue - you hold a special place in my heart because you were the first person to respond to my first post on this site. Great to hear from you.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

How about a love song, folks?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

One of my favorites, Turtle!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Hang on!

I'm here, but I'm not much fun tonight. I think I'll just sit here in the back of the bus and chill out for a while. Don't mind me. I just want to stare out the window and think a bit. Lots of things to think about. Day 65, ..now what?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I'm in, guys. Day 74 here in Chicago.

I'm planning an epic pig out of whatever's in the fridge... Scrambled eggs with cheese, chicken noodle soup, beans and rice... Popsicles...

I just feel ravenous!

I hope everyone's having a great evening!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

2Wheels, you don't have to be "fun". You just have to be here. Sit and chill. Stare and think. That's all good.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

First time joiner! Am on a much needed r&r weekend. I just wanted to escape and have no plans but you know what they say about that! So my plan is to rest read walk eat yoga sleep & repeat daily over the weekend. Back home Sunday to the kids.
So I'll be keeping closeby, now I need to get more zzzzzz's, it's a warm night in Irelabd xx
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((Soberclover)))

Hi alreadyinuse!

Sounds like progress is being made on the cleaning project, Ruby!

As usual I can't see the songs or videos y'all post....hmm....

2wheels....staring out the window and just thinking sounds good to me, too.

It's been a long and emotional day for me. I had to go somewhere today that holds a lot of really bad memories. I spent most of the time trying to distract myself from thinking about it all. Didn't work. And if that wasn't bad enough, i stopped by to see my dad and he was drunk and making Mac and cheese and a few minutes away from setting the house on fire. I can't see him like that anymore. He looks awful. I live in constant fear of finding him dead one day.

On a brighter note....I'm sober and my future is not defined by my past....or my heritage!

Xoxo