Notices

Ring Ring! Sober Weekender Thread Aug 14

Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

A big hello to all other newcomers to our wonderful bus!!!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I'm in. Chat later.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good article

Being teetotal is intoxicating: giving up alcohol gave me back my life | Lucy Rocca | Comment is free | The Guardian
Old 08-13-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

So glad I was given a delivery time of 11-3pm, for them to arrive at 4pm! And it is flat pack...a 7 seater outdoor furniture set...tonight may involve cursing!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

LB - looks like you're trying to log in on your phone. I can't do that either - I have no idea how people can type these long sentences and thoughtful ideas and post with a tiny smartphone...I can barely do it with a full keyboard and laptop!

Busiest week of the year at the old "virtual office". Luckily working from home means I can escape for a 3pm nap (in 10 minutes) immediately after my day is over.

Was hoping to get my car back this week but it's looking like the fix-date has been pushed back. Mechanics here in Guatemala do things a little differently, we don't have "CarX" or major chains, we just have local guys working out of their own shops. Therefore, jobs can get pushed back and delayed pretty easily...or, on the flip side, things can sometimes get done super fast! I've been on both sides of the coin now. Such is life.

Welcome new folks. Tetra, things will be alright - it sure isn't fun to have to sit and wait for news of relatives in hospital though, that's for sure. Been there, and it's the worst. So sorry to hear of the troubles, but you have a good solid attitude. Good on you!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend. I have a number of things to keep me busy this weekend, so I don't foresee any major problems staying sober. I hope this holds true for all of us.

Enjoy!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Willdoit View Post
Count me in, one week now very happy
Welcome to SR and the weekender!!!

Congrats on a week.

Like I asked the other newbies... whats the sober plan?
Old 08-13-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
I'm in for the weekend. I have a number of things to keep me busy this weekend, so I don't foresee any major problems staying sober. I hope this holds true for all of us.

Enjoy!
Welcome!!! I wish that were true for everyone. We would not be here if it were,

Check in with us. Let us know how you are doing.

K
Old 08-13-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aistar View Post
I'm in.
Welcome!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link to the article Behan... great information - and 802 comments, didn't read all of them, but there are some interesting ones i did read.

Just got back from my parents farm... had a great visit, and brought back lots of fresh vegetables.

Now to do a bit of work and then relax for the evening. don't think I will cook supper, eat too much at the farm. Probably just much on some vegetables and fruit.

Lots on the bus this weekend already - great to see.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Estate sale going gangbusters. Social media really helped. We posted on Facebook this afternoon and within a half hour tons of people started showing up.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I am definitely joining in and I will need all the help I can get as this will be my first sober weekend in years!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Great work MLD!

Brynn, your lunch sounds good. Love V8. And cheddar cheese.

AA meeting at 10:30 then son and I went to a farmer's market. Then we went bowling. Sober bowling is fun. Neither of us is very good but still. Then we went to taco bell for lunch. The neighborhood we went bowling in has a ton of Mexican restaurants, all better than taco bell, but son is 9 and wanted to try the dorito flavored shells.

We stopped and visited my parents. Mom is going to the Cubs/Sox game tomorrow. That'll only mean something to BigS. Scored tickets to go with her friend from bowling. Son and I are home now and will now work on clearing his bedroom or neither of us will hear the end of it from mr. Ruby.

BigS, good luck getting your truck. Typing a lot on the phone takes practice but I'm doing it all the time now. Predictive text helps immensely.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Still here.
Enjoy.

Rock on, people.
Have a safe, happy weekend!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yogapants View Post
I am definitely joining in and I will need all the help I can get as this will be my first sober weekend in years!
Welcome Yoga!!!!

Check in often. The first gives such big rewards come Monday. You can choose not to drink.

What is your plan for the weekend?

Ken
Old 08-13-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Okay... I made it. Need a nap.and yeah. I'm not good at using this phone
Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

My pickles came out super amazing!!! Half sours!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I have a taste for pickled green tomatoes now. Son's room coming along. I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to just throw away plastic toys. Except Legos. I don't throw away Legos.

Pretty soon our universe will be composed entirely of old Lego sets.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new names, wow - there are a lot of them! A Plan. For me in the early days it was.
1. Don't drink
2. Write in my gratitude list every day
3. Light exercise
4. Netflix
5. Lots of food and water
6. I was going to AA meetings every day in the first few months. It got me dressed and out of the house and focused on recovery.
7. I was here in my Class of March 2014 thread every day. I read a lot on these forums. If I couldn't sleep (pretty common in early sobriety) - I came here. Lots of pajama time. I didn't "should" myself at all in the first month. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness, because I was.

The zoo was great. Highlight of the trip: I watched as they moved four female White-faced Whistling Ducks (two/three months old, so first time away from the parents) into the same habitat as the Ring-tailed Lemurs. There was a lot of nervous whistling from the ducklings (they're full grown) and they stayed clumped together. The five lemurs were basically, "Now what?" They've only been here since Spring - so every day is an adventure for them. Everyone settled, lemurs got some treats. One of the zoo employees called the ducks "toys" for the lemurs. Apparently the lemurs are quite accommodating and have been hand-feeding the wild mallards who hang around. I thought that was nice; sharing with strangers, right?

Popcorn and ice cream just might be dinner. Junk food day. Popcorn is a vegetable, isn't it?