Notices

Favorite Summer Music Sober Weekender! July 31 until

Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Blah, blah, so hot, blah, blah, blah, tired, blah, blah, headache....

.....but almost Friday!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Shotgun!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Olive this doesn't help the heat where you are but tomorrow we are supposed to have a heat index of something like 108. I hope reading that makes you feel a little cooler.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Now I am just sad that you are going to be hotter than we are, Getting! Unless, of course, you enjoy the heat!

Thank you for the cool down!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting page 6 shotgun Solarion.

There are a few albums remind me of summer.

Hotel California

Street Survivors
and
Boston - first album also my first concert at the Spectrum in Philly.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Wow, this thread moves fast. I'm too tired to catch up. But...am so looking forward to the weekend. One more work day. Had some plans but I think I'll cancel because I feel the need for rest. Watching some movies and cooking something wonderful sounds good. At least I know I won't be drinking. ..thank goodness.
Mesa...you are quite a poet and your writing style is interesting and unique.
Tetra...you are doing well, moving through your grief. My condolences and a big hug to you.
It's cooled down here considerably since we've had some rain.
ok...time for mindless tv.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Blah, blah, so hot, blah, blah, blah, tired, blah, blah, headache....

.....but almost Friday!
Olive, Jimmy Buffetts first live album You Had To Be There ended with two songs. The first was Morris's Nightmare, the second Dixie Diner. Jimmy's segue was "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!"

You made me laugh like that does.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Remember this one?

The big rock station here is playing vinyl on Sunday mornings. I was driving back to Wisconsin a couple weeks ago and it came on -- flooding me with memories. Knew every word to "Gone Hollywood" even though it's been years -- years -- since I've heard it. I cranked up the volume and sang along, pounding my hands on the steering wheel when the piano solo comes midway into it. "If we only had time, only had time for you..."

This album was omnipresent. Practically issued to you in the dorms, if you didn't have a copy already. I'd forgotten the cover art prominently featured the World Trade Center.

It came out when I was in high school. I was neither a popularity princess nor a wallflower in h.s. but I was a lifeguard and in my little Wisconsin hometown, that was BIG.

We always had the radio cranked at the pool. We'd rotate the part of the pool we guarded until the 3 p.m. break and then all the kids would watch and cheer as we'd either go off the diving boards or, if you were guarding the deep end, dive straight from our elevated chair into the pool.

For some reason, lifeguarding -- and the specific memory of the 3 p.m. dives -- came into my head when "Breakfast in America" aired. Perhaps it was playing when my time to dive came, a forgotten part of my life's soundtrack. Certainly plausible!

Such innocent times ...
Old 07-30-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the weather blues in the UK (cold) and in the western USA (hot). Here in the Land of Eternal Spring it's 75 and sunny most days. We rarely get below 70 (21 C) rarely get above 80 (26C) year-round. Nice, consistent fresh mountain breezes, no humidity.

Of course, last weekend I took a now regretful drive to the Pacific where the temp was 100 degrees and hotter than Hades. We had a great time, but alas on the drive home I absolutely nailed a pothole that gave the entire truck what-for. About an hour later after driving through the jungle, the water pump busted and the radiator exploded. Sat for 3 hours on the side of the road with my girlfriend as we called and waited for various help. Had to be towed home and the car's still at the mechanic. Praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster I don't need a new engine - right now el mecanico's still tinkering with it, but it's a possibility. Rats, rats, rats.

So, it's been a car-less week for me. Have enjoyed getting out for some long walks, even though lugging back groceries (and today, a rice cooker!) home has been a bit of a pain. All that said: I think back to 3 years ago when I was in real trouble. Jobless, broke, and very sick. On this date three years ago, in fact, I was still in rehab. I'll take a busted water pump any day of the week over that scenario.

Busy days at work lately, our busy season is upon us. Thunder in the distance rumbling loudly, should make for a peaceful sleep. See you all on Friday morning, the weekend is almost here!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

BigS, it's only sober that "what does not kill us makes us stronger" really makes sense. Hope your engine is as well as you are.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
quat

Venecia
Diving in off the stands, did that had a "save" in the high dive area, little guy sunk like rock and couldn't get back up just stood there on the bottom, brought him up made sure he was just scared and he was , and then I benched him. He didn't try sneaking back in line the next day at least.
Heh the memory makes me hear something by Paul Young ,I think.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

BigS, I was going to ask if you got your truck back but apparently not. I'm sorry to hear that.

I give you full credit for giving me an idea. The sitter has a stand alone IKEA kitchen cabinet/island that is long discontinued but would suit my kitchen. I checked Craigslist and voilą! There was a similar, but not as wide one, for sale. I emailed asking for measurements. We'll see.

New fridge comes Saturday! Yay! I have to clear space for the old one in the basement. I want to use it for party overflow. Not that I ever entertain anymore.

Time to wrap it up for tonight. See you all in the morning. Get some sleep HaF.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Count me in!! Another beautiful sober weekend coming up!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

The things we can do sober. I heard my geriatric cat crying but couldn't see her outside the backyard. I walked around and realized the cry was coming from overhead. I had to get a flashlight to even see her she was so high up. And she was stuck.

I climbed the tree. She was at least 30 feet up and I haven't climbed a tree in eons. And in the dark. But I was sober. If I were drunk I probably would have fallen out of the tree.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ruby. That's. Fantastic!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Thanks Trach. And no one was around to see! I did apparently whack my calf though. There's a hard lump under some scratches.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

And another sober benefit. I'll remember how I got scratched and bruised.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ah yes. The mystery bruises. I don't miss that. My shins are thanking me.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done Ruby. International Rescue not needed in this instance.

BigSomb, sorry to hear about your engine troubles, I would be surprised if you needed a new engine, a failed water pump can lead to a cracked engine block but that would be very unlucky. More likely is a new head gasket needed (which is time consuming). Good luck anyway

The sky looks promising this morning, I can see it at least

Mecanix - how are you?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Sao ,
thanks for asking the coldy thing has moved on .
Full on sunshine here yesterday evening but maybe 16c top temp in the day. today is bright with high cloud and blue patches .

The Lytham festival starts this weekend , tickets are too pricey for me but i'll probably be able to hear quite a lot of it from my own garden . I might go and have a walk on the Pennines and get a dose of the fresh greenery .

So many people ask me about the fat bike i wonder if i should be selling them ..

Mex-m8 has an important test at work today so i'm a bit pre-occupied with that .

Having a very slow start to the day today .. That's ok though i have no appointments and am still waiting for certain health and safety hoops to appear so i can jump through them , until that happens i can't actually do anything useful, 8 weeks so far !

Have a good friday all ,
m