Notices

Favorite Summer Music Sober Weekender! July 31 until

Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

To play off what JoanneB recollects re: T Rex, here's my fav version of 'Bang A Gong' by Power Station. Robert Palmer. 2 Members of 'Duran Duran'. An absolutely smokin' Drummer, no longer with us.

Plenty of earlier '60s Music memories, but those can wait 'til later in this super idea of a Thread.

SoCal Beaches. The Surf Scene. Wood Fires in Rings on the Beach at night while Sunburned as all get out. The smell of 'Coppertone'; thee Suntan Lotion of choice. I still have some pleasant Flashbacks when I use their Sunscreen with that same scent. Supposedly, only our sense of Smell goes up some Nerves, and into our Brains straight away. No 'Processing' elsewhere in the ole Cranium. As we learned it in College, this is why some smells instantly and uncontrollably trigger memories of Grandma's Pies. BAM! The Tobacco that Gramps might have smoked. That Adolescent 'Squeeze' who wore a certain Perfume, or Cologne. Instant Recollection before you even realize it...

- '50s & '60s California Beach Pictures ~ Slate.com -

While on the way anyway to a huge Trade Show in Geneve, I stopped off in Edinburgh for the Weekend. I popped into a former Colorado Nanny Gal Pal's Wedding in full rented Kilt w/o notice [on prior Invitation]. Went full Commando on a chilly day. Invigorating! The whole 'Mad Cow' Scenario had just hit the News ~2 weeks prior. Beef was already on the Catered Reception Menu. 'Mad Cow' became her MIL's Nickname; primarily because she was one. My Gal Pal later Divorced her MIL's 'Mamma's Boy'. MIL regained the desired control of her Son who spent every night in the Pub, or playing Weekend Football. Everyone lived happily ever after.

Good stuff, here!

- 'Bang A Gong' ~ Power Station -
Old 07-30-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm terribly, terribly sorry, Tetra.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Lola, I hear ya. I'd love a hammock in those days. Now I'm too antsy to sit still for long. I'm working on that. It's an uncomfortable way to live a life.

Summer music to me is the cicadas singing in the trees in the dog days. When everything is still and hot and the sun is baking the earth. And now I have Florence & The Machine in my head.

Tetra, Bimini's comments are wise. Everyone is stressed and expresses grief differently. Envision us with you and around you. Supporting you.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

This was played to death one summer when I was in high school--but it sounds pretty good now:

Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Im on! My first ride on the sober bus! I grew up on FM radio, so all the soft rock hits from the 70's, 80's and early 90's are seared onto my brain.
Fields of Gold, anyone?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I heard this version of 'Fields Of Gold' years ago while working alone building this House. I dropped my Toolbelt - stunned - and just sat down on the Floor by the Radio. It somehow took this Search_Meister a long time to find out who this was, but I wouldn't give up. Even now, this version instantly turns on the ole Eyeball Faucets for some reason. Maybe it's an association back from when my Mom had Stroked out, and was dying over the next ~1.5 years with one side paralyzed. The gracious, sudden passing of a Loved One is a blessing; even when it doesn't seem to be...

Recorded in a small Club while she had a Cold, no less. Melanoma got her way too young...

- 'Fields Of Gold' ~ Eva Cassidy -
Old 07-30-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
I heard this version of 'Fields Of Gold' years ago while working alone building this House. I dropped my Toolbelt - stunned - and just sat down on the Floor by the Radio. It somehow took this Search_Meister a long time to find out who this was, but I wouldn't give up. Even now, this version instantly turns on the ole Eyeball Faucets for some reason.

Recorded in a small Club while she had a Cold, no less. Melanoma got her way too young...

- 'Fields Of Gold' ~ Eva Cassidy -
oooh. Eva Cassidy is magical. Thanks for this I have this in my rotation on Pandora.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Going to a meeting tonight at 8 pm
my husband taking me down there ( things havent been good with my mental health dates coming up soon that trigger me into hurting myself or drinking ) and waiting for me at a coffee shop

hopefully i go at the right time this time
Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Indeed what a great thread theme K - thanks. Such musical treats here. Shame the youtube is blocked by the websense man in work. Although I would never get anything done if it was allowed. Will enjoy these wonderful tracks at home. Hey, I'm going to start my very own Weekender playlist on spotify/youtube!!!

I hope you make your meeting QAF. You are sensible in preparing for upcoming risks/triggers.

B
Old 07-30-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Page 3!?! Holy Moly!

IN!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yes, Non. Page 3. Hop aboard.

QAF, good thinking and good plan.

Upwardspiral, welcome aboard. The bus is a good place to be for the weekend.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry Tetra thinking of you
Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Do your best

The humbling river by puscifer or its remix by beautiful confusion

Or a horse with no name by America
Old 07-30-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

well I went out today and pulled the random CD from the box, EC, Just One Night it was,

here's a tune from it. I'm slowly uploading cd's into my jeep's hardrive

Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Do your best

L i loved it when you claimed rifle for the thread made me laugh
Old 07-30-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Tetra, I am so sorry to hear the news about your grandmother. I can only imagine you're feeling stressed, sad, and heartbroken. I'm glad to hear that you're preparing for the funeral and your healthy spirit will shine through. All the best during this tough time.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

we are in the midst of a dangerous thunder and lightning storm with torrential rain at the moment.
Lightning just exploded outside my window.... yeowsa!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Nons brings up a good point.

I never actually said I was in!

In!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'm on the bus.

Bruce Hornsby and the range .. The way it is
Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm in and at least made it on page tres.

I'm fighting a migraine but wanted to check in.

I always associate summertime music with whatever my older brothers and sister were listening to when they'd let me tag along to the lake. Lots of ACDC, Metallica, Iron Maiden and such.