Notices

Drinking at work?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HOPELESSAMY View Post
Trying to locate an outpatient facility that I can attend after work. And/or AA....idk. Anyhow, talking to you guys is helping. Thanks for your support :-)
AA's easy to locate - there's a great online search facility.
So glad you've managed work today without any alcohol.

x
Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Drinking at work?

Originally Posted by HOPELESSAMY View Post

Does anyone else do this?
When I used to drink, yes I drank at work. Many of my friends got fired for this very thing. I also was called on the carpet several times due to my drinking on the job. I think for most, it should tell us that we have a serious problem that needs to be addressed very soon.

Many in this condition have sobered up and have continued sobriety.

MountainmanBob
Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Me n all.

When I was at my worst, over 2 years ago while living in a place I didn't like (Lop Buri), with no friends, working at a school I didn't like, I convinced myself it was totally 100% normal to be sneaking out of school on lunch or between classes, buying a beer, then driving out into the countryside to chug it.

Made excuses like needing a hair of the dog to make the hangover from the previous night easier, that I was going to taper it off completely any day now. And suchlike.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Right about the time I knew I needed to get sober, I was to the point of sneaking vodka into the office and mixing it in a MT dew can in the bathroom. Keep in mind I was never a vodka drinker, but I knew I could "get there" quickly and not be detected. It was at this point I finally said enough was enough. The drinking at work was kind of the straw that broke my camel's back because I was at the point I would stop at nothing to drink and I knew I was entering the point of no return.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

Do you have benefits at this job? .
Yes Ruby I do. Really good benefits and a low deductible. I'll get on the horn as soon as I leave here. Thanks so much :-)
Old 05-06-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
You can do it Amy. The first 3 to 5 days are the worst physically. If you start hearing voices or getting really sick, please go to the ER. Alcohol withdrawals can be very dangerous.

The "unfortunates" are people who are constitutionally incapable of being honest. That would be some people with serious brain damage like wet brain, some people with absolutely crippling mental disabilities and also probably some sociopaths. I seriously doubt reading your posts that you are any of those. You reached out for help, you acknowledge the extent of your problem: right there you are able to be honest.
Definitely not an unfortunate here just another alcoholic who needs support.
Hang in there. You can make it.
This post really struck a chord.

So far so good...make it through lunch sober. Now I know I can finish the work day. I'm shaky and tired right now, but that's basically all.
I know detox can be serious and am on the lookout for anything more worrisome.

I wonder if this will be the extent of it or if the worst is yet to come...
Old 05-06-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi Amy, I haven't drank at work (YET...you're eligible too!) I completely understand the feeling of desperation, though. Take care, and good luck at the doctor.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Don't borrow trouble - i.e. worrying if "worse is yet to come". Make it through the day without drinking and go home and relax. Don't drink!! And don't make the mistake I used to make "gee, that wasn't SO bad. I think I'll drink again!!" Over and over and over. It was a nightmare groundhog day for years.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It's good to hear from you. I hope you made it safely home without stopping for booze. If you are not too sick, try to catch a meeting.
Also grab some Gatorade or energy drink for overnight. Detoxing gets you really dehydrated.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Adventurer

How many hours has it been now since your last drink?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Me, too! One day, I went to work drunk, locked the door to my office and slept on the floor for 2 hours. That was the bottom for me...

You have made the right decision, and it won't be long before you are feeling a lot better. It may be hard at some times, but stick with it, it is worth it.

SR is a good place to be, lots of support. You can do this. We are here to help.

with love,
Grace
Old 05-07-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Doing OK

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
How many hours has it been now since your last drink?
OK so....I'm going to be rigorously honest here. I realize I'm playing with fire but I have managed to taper a bit. NO DRINKING during the day yesterday, but I had a small amount when I got home, no buzz just got rid of the shakes. NO DRINKING this morning or at work today :-)

I actually slept all night last night and woke up feeling good. Crazy. I have the slightest shakes going on but other than that nothing.

Now, I get through tonight and see the doctor tomorrow early. I'm thinking I wont even need meds for detox, I just want to get on Antabuse.

Now....recovery. Ahhhhh......

Thanks for everyones support and I will keep checking in
Old 05-07-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Glad to hear that you are doing ok.
I am not a big fan of antabuse but ultimately it's your decision and if your doctor and you agree that it will help.
One important thing is to make a recovery plan so you get to have a good quality of life and learn to enjoy life sober. Antabuse is a deterrent but there is more to sobriety than just not drinking: what's the point of putting the drink down if you are miserable?
Look around SR, it is a treasure trove of resources and tools.
I saw a really good post by Anna yesterday about plans and resources. I bookmarked it on my other computer and will link it here later.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Glad to hear that you are doing ok.
I am not a big fan of antabuse but ultimately it's your decision and if your doctor and you agree that it will help.
One important thing is to make a recovery plan so you get to have a good quality of life and learn to enjoy life sober. Antabuse is a deterrent but there is more to sobriety than just not drinking: what's the point of putting the drink down if you are miserable?
Look around SR, it is a treasure trove of resources and tools.
I saw a really good post by Anna yesterday about plans and resources. I bookmarked it on my other computer and will link it here later.
I agree 100%. I've been dry before but never reached real recovery. It was not fulfilling and ultimately led to my downfall(s). I have to do things different this time, I'm ready to be truly happy or at least not so profoundly miserable. My plan is to have the Antabuse short term until I can line up a recovery plan. AA is hard to find in my area, I live in a very small town of 4,000 people. I've found a few within 50 miles but only Mon, Wed & Sun. I'm letting my insurance find someplace outpatient for me in the meantime too.

Thanks Carlotta
Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to have an idea of what you want Amy, but try and be open to whatever the Dr suggests too

D
Old 05-07-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Here is the link and in it she links to other resources too
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I would also recommend that you join the 24 hours recovery connection where we commit not to drink or drug for the next 24 hours. It s a fun supportive way to hold ourselves accountable
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-56-a-6.html

as well as the class of may where you can give and receiver support from your peers who quit at the same time
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2015-a-15.html

You can do it!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

You sound a lot more positive today. I hope you're doing well. I did what Grace did, a lot. Lock my office door and sleep it off. Not the high point of my life. Long time ago but I still cringe.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good luck at the Doctors today.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I drank before and at work pretty much every shift. I have been sober for 11 days now and feeling pretty good. You are not alone..I suggest you call in sick to detox also. Without your health and sanity your job won't matter anyhow..
Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Amy , hope you are going ok :-) xx