Notices

How to use support? Weekender thread! Feb 27- March 1

Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks Ruby, I really need to keep focused and if I get wobbly I must post here or on newcomers. Hope all is good with you and all the weekenders.xx
Old 02-27-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

morning all ,
Sunny and blue skies @ 8:30am here today .

I've slowly been gathering my things together in the house into my room so that i'm ready for moving … although it does make this room even more restricted on space .

I'm going to try and go through my books today to see which ones i can take down to charity .
Old 02-27-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning!

Behan... Sorry you cannot sleep. Also good to see you post about how to manage things. I find I can think through what I need to do simply by sorting it in my head enough to post it. Less muddled for me.

Hope Mrs B is ok with the appointment. Sounds like you have a special relationship and that's beautiful!

M... Looking forward to you having more space for yourself. I love space. My apartment is way to big for one. But not me. Lol. Three bedrooms and two baths for me and two cats. The cats have their own room and I have an extra bedroom that I sleep in to dice things up. Wake feeling like I am on vacation across the floor.

My work is going so damn well. I am excited to get a few more things done. Then next few months will really allow me to solidify my presence there. Lol always got to show value and I think I can in good ways. Of course they make it so people can thrive. So it's a bit easier when big things are possible.

Gym gym gym.... We have a new 5k challenge at work. We have from March till the beginning of April to run 5 k on any of the pieces of equipment. The best times are enterd in to raffle for cool stuff. They also include the most improved. I think I will join just to get some practice in before I can officially get outside to run. Still am only at 2.5 miles at once. I will get there.

DA... Hang in there. Big S is right. Pretend like you are on the bus with all of us. Pick people out and assign our names to them. Of course make the guy who you select as Weasel to be dashing and handsome. But know everywhere you go you take us along for support.

Talk later!

Wow... All I did was type a bit and all this came out... Yikes I can blabber!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Dark Asylum, from your posts in other places, I gather that you have a Higher Power. Trust in him and lean heavily on him every second of this weekend. If you find that you are unable to get to a meeting till later, he will see to it that you are OK if you keep on turning to him.

It's great that you enjoy your nieces so much. Hopefully they will be a great distraction for you this weekend while you're waiting for your meeting.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Gym gym gym....
Dammit gym, I'm a doctor. Not a triathlete.

Woke up grumpy. Shouldn't have looked at the weather forecast before bed. Today's looking nice but then there's a full week of clouds and sporadic rain. At least it warms up a bit.

Georgia winters are a lot like Seattle summers: Rainy and cool. I wouldn't mind a nice weekend when I could hit the trails with a backpack. Maybe a fishing pole. I might have to head for the river next month.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm sure I speak for the group when I say we'd love to hear some highlights from any backpacking journal you might keep, Trach!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Just some pics of my river:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tdale/...7600702203191/

Speaking of sleds and dogs:

FAN-TASTIC VIDEO OF THE WEEK: Jeff King and the Dalzell Gorge ? Iditarod
Old 02-27-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi , ...I'm not to happy that I am awake at 4am...but it's a rare occurrence when I can't sleep.
Glad it's Friday. Wow, these weeks fly by. I was just dreading Monday morning. No big plans for the weekend which is ok with me.
I had a stressful day at work on Wednesday and some serious thoughts of drinking in the midst of it. But by the time I got home, all I wanted to do was eat and get to bed. I think it's more of a habit or reflex at this point. An automatic response to a stressful situation. ...let's run away from this and hide with a few drinks. ...let's not cope with these stressful feelings. I guess it's part of the progress. Drinking was my answer to many things for many years and it's ingrained in me.
Well..I think I'll try to get back to sleep. See you all later.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks for the pictures, Trach. Looks idyllic!

The Iditarod video was intriguing, too. I'd never seen anybody drive on bare ground before--and I'd certainly never seen anybody wipe out! Really enlightening!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Old 02-27-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Soberenders!

Slept like a log last night. I was still ZZZZ-ing away when Mrs.Non got up for work. No 2-hour delay for her. Once she was gone the bed was less cozy, so I got up.

I just wrote my family a long e-mail with my input on financial matters for my brother with Down's Syndrome. He is able to live alone and has worked at the local grocery store for 25+ years. He receives some government assistance and my parents are concerned about his continuing eligibility for assistance if he were to receive an inheritance. Sorting through that mess of government regulations, tax implications, legal fees, etc. causes a lot of stress and tension among the family. Everyone wants the best thing for my brother, but opinions on how to achieve that vary, so I was choosing my e-mail words carefully.

The roads look a right mess this morning. I'm gonna leave myself plenty of time to get to work today.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Glad to be sober and on the bus.

Interesting subject, Weasel. Asking for support always has been (and still is) hard for me. I think part of it is being such a loner; I do not connect with other people easily. I'm that quiet nerdy girl in the window seat with her nose in a book.

Speaking of books, I'm finally able to concentrate enough to read one again (after 100 some odd days of sobriety). I read "Wild" last week. Between that and Trach's river pics, I'm almost inspired to start hiking. When the weather improves, I think I will start taking a few day hikes and get off of the regular trail that I walk.

I've got to get ready for work soon. TGIF!!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Sober sled ride?! I'm IN! And I brought treats for the pups.

Thanks, Ken and everyone for being here and offering support. Sober weekends are sooooo much better than the alternative. So SOOOoooo much better. Big hugs
Old 02-27-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Getting through Friday here - nearly time to stop for lunch! Clear blue sky outside, it does feel like spring. My relentless worries from last night have thankfully dissipated.

Trach, I share you desire to hit the trails with a backpack. I'm at my most content after trekking up a mountain, then finding a nice spot sheltered from the wind, devouring my sandwiches and enjoying tea from a flask. To me, conquering a mountain is a natural "high" - life affirming, and, even as a non-religious person, I find it a spiritual experience.

I hope everyone is having a good Friday so far.

B
Old 02-27-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Love the outdoor talk. Makes me more determined then ever to get out for a run after work. Heck with the windchill, thats what layering is for. Spring is on its way and I only have two months until my half marathon.
I'm the same way jerri and I loved Wild. Haven't seen the movie yet, maybe I'll check it out this weekend. Happy Friday all!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChrisBen View Post
Love the outdoor talk. Makes me more determined then ever to get out for a run after work. Heck with the windchill, thats what layering is for. Spring is on its way and I only have two months until my half marathon.
I'm the same way jerri and I loved Wild. Haven't seen the movie yet, maybe I'll check it out this weekend. Happy Friday all!
It's fitting that was the first book I've read since I quit drinking. I haven't seen the movie yet either, but I will eventually, if not in the theaters, then on NetFlix.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Weasel, you were so right on about "support." I think so many of us are independent, go it alone, pick ourselves up by the bootstraps kind of people and that's what gets us in trouble with drinking, sometimes. I am feeling very solid in my sobriety (17 months this weekend), but I have to say that this thread helped to keep me sober for a long time in the beginning of my sobriety, so thank you so much!

I have been feeling moody and drained lately and getting caught up in obsessive thinking, so I have learned that it is important to get back to basics when my mood starts going south.

Happy Sober Weekend everyone!!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Good morning! One child at school, one more to go. Seven a.m. band class. I am not fond of Friday mornings.

Dark Asylum, I had really crippling anxiety and panic attacks when I thought to travel anywhere. One time it was so bad that my retired father rode the train with me to work and literally supported me while walking to the office. It is nasty. I found that the fear of having an attack is worse than the attack. You can get through it. Take each step of the trip a little at a time. Focus ib getting ready. Then focus on getting out the door. Focus on one foot in front of the other. When you are on the bus focus on looking out the window and so on. That is what helped me. I had horrible fears that I would faint or fall down. It didn't happen. But if it did, I had faith someone would help me. I haven't had any attacks in over two years so it does absolutely get better. When people say "play the tape forward" when thinking what could happen when I drink, I think of my poor father practically dragging me along because I could barely walk for the anxiety. A little at a time. That's all you need to focus on.

Double dragons, congratulations on 17 months! That's terrific.

Its one degree here and I just heard a half a foot of snow this weekend. Ugh. When will it end? Honestly. It seems never ending. Maybe I can go to a garden supply store for a bit of green.

Time to get daughter to school! Cheers, everyone.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Congrats DD on 17 months!!!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post