Notices

How to use support? Weekender thread! Feb 27- March 1

Old 02-26-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Don't have to go to the office today but I have stuff to do. I'm glad I don't have to make that drive. It kept snowing and just stopped.

Petals, we are here for you. If you just need to talk, or vent, we are in your corner. The obnoxious drunks. So not fun.

BigS, sounds like a great peaceful weekend. Have a great time. Seafood and the sound of the ocean. Lovely.

Bimini, I hope you get the dental pain sorted out soon. Sounds painful.

JDO happy birthday!

Dark Asylum, good to see you here. Hang in there. How old are the nieces?

I'm going to leave and slowly battle traffic. Until later!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Earth Child

there 11 and 13 i also have a nieces at 22 ,21 and a nephew who is 18
the younger ones come and stay with us every 2nd weekend
i love having them here
Old 02-26-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Bit of a lazy day, although I did put on pants. I decided to clear off the cars this afternoon when it was right at freezing rather than wait until tomorrow morning when it will be below freezing.

Did some professional reading, watched a little TV, and took a short nap. Looks like I will get a 2-hour delay tomorrow. Then, next week I might get furloughed. I work for that government agency whose funding expires this week unless congress acts to renew it. I am ambivalent about being furloughed. I am fortunate in that my finances can absorb missing a paycheck or two, and I suspect we'll get paid for the furlough time eventually. It's just a paid vacation to me. But, there are people at work that I know would be significantly impacted if we are furloughed long enough to miss a paycheck and I don't want them to be in a bind.

My dogs seem to like this wet snow. I volunteer them to help pull the sleds this weekend. MUSH!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Count me in Weekenders!! Let's do this!!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ain't snowed in! It was gone by morning where I am. Worked ten hours today. BTW, it National Chili Day if you're pondering dinner.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I’m a DIY guy. That means pretty much everything I do, I do by myself. I have been this way since childhood. I make my own stuff and fix my own stuff. So far, I’ve built two businesses from scratch, I bought a sailboat; outfitted it and sailed to Bermuda, the list goes on and on. DIY all the way. The support that works for me is the type that I can absorb by watching, listening and applying. Are other people involved in my life and successes? Absolutely. This forum is a great type of support for a guy like me. Yet, I’ve found that pretty much everything comes down to the self and having to do the work to make something happen. Glad to hear you’re feeling better Weasel. Bimini- I don't do my own dental work.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm stuffed from Peruvian Chicken!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Glad to see some more happy faces join in!

OK... dinner review... HOLY COWZ! Great meal. Started with wonderful lite pita with an egg plant and roasted pepper pate of sorts. Super tasty. Then for a Mediterranean meatballs with a slaw of sorts. (I say of sorts because the food was gourmet and I don't gotz the rite annunciations to describe ) The main course was a double pork chop done with a sauce and prosciutto that was like bacon strips on top. None of the way I described it gives it even a small amount of credit. Portland is a foodie town if you look it up so the competition for good food is amazing. So much to enjoy. And a reasonable price and fun not in your face service. So that started my weekend off nice!

Time to relax.

Stay strong enders!!!

Ring Ring!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Sounds damn tasty Weasel!

In the midst of insomnia. Brain and body is in overdrive. Would have drank this away in the past. Just tried meditation and autogenics, but still wired and filled with neurotic worries.

My plan for march is to increase excercise. Need to burn off all this stress and worry, a family trait, as is substance abuse. Sorry for rattling on. Posting this is helping. Don't want to worry Mrs B as she has a hospital appointment in the morning.

In terms of the support theme of this tread, I get so much from her. Such positive encouagement at every step of the way.

And everytime I see her, to me she is the most beautiful, kind woman in the world. I hope I never let her down.

Last day of work tomorrow for the week. Hopefully nothing too stress. Then a long over trip to the gym.

Keep well my sober pals,

B
Old 02-26-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Anyway, here's dog enjoying his lunch. Surely this has to put me asleep.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good evening! I'm home and traffic didn't suck the life out of me this evening. I will pay for it tomorrow at rush hour but I have that sweet three day weekend.

Taxes are on my agenda. Some baking or cooking. Relaxing. Taking the kids to my parents to hang out with their cousins on Saturday.

DA, Have fun with the girls. My niece is 14 and I really like hanging out with her.

I had so many things I wanted to respond to but my brain seems to be scrambled today. Gilmer! That was one of them. You always have the most interesting meals. Eating at your house always sounds to me like a great place to be. I enjoyed what you posted initially about the support in real life versus here on SR.

Ok. I've stretched my brain enough. I'm exhausted and am glad tomorrow is Friday.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Things arent good
i had done my prayers before bed then went to bed layed there thinking about drink how to get money for it
went on the an AA chatroom ( not the one here ) and told them
they told me to be honest and to tell my husband witch i have
my husband says he will not leave me alone in the house so i have to go with him to get my nieces instead i need a meeting but i cant get to one until Sunday unless i go on my own to the meeting on the bus but am scared ill take a panic attack/ Meltdown my husband cant take me because we have the girls
Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Earth Child

ok my post didnt make sense sorry
Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Weasel we are here and we love you! I'm really stubborn when it comes to asking for help! It took alot for me to join a recovery group at church but its one of the best things I've done for myself. I'm a nervous wreck when thinking about AA but I know It would be a good thing if I got involved.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Checking in tonight. It's been cold and snowy all day. Will feel like -11F tonight. Will not be fun walking in it to the buildings tomorrow morning, but it could be worse.

Just got back from the store. I am making the kale soup tonight from food network magazine (minus the leek and with a very small fraction of bacon grease the recipe asks for) since we're ran out of it tonight and it is awesome.

We actually picked up 3 lbs of bacon tonight. *shock and smiles at nons*

Mesaman-you and your wife have had some close calls. I am glad you and your wife are okay.

Bim-I hope your pain is being relieved tonight and you're feeling better.

2WT-a no pants party???!!! *covers eyes*

M-I agree with you that once you accept things as they are and that drinking is not an option, that the struggle gets much easier.

Weasel-your dinner sounded delicious.

Ruby-I hope you're feeling better.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Dark Asylum - don't worry, you won't have a panic attack on the bus if you go. You'll be just fine: pay the fare, have a seat, and get off at your stop. No need to overcomplicate it. Bring a book if you'd like, or listen to some nice music on your headphones. I used to have panic attacks quite often but sobriety has produced a sound mind and confidence, I'm guessing that's something you'll gain back as well the longer you stay sober also. If the bus ride seems like it's too much for you, that's okay too. There's no harm in staying at home and resting, you can watch a nice movie or get out for a quick walk. Keep things simple, and keep your goals achievable, and you'll be okay and get better. Take it easy and hope you're feeling better!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I'm back for my 5th sober weekend in a row (day 33 tomorrow). I am flying out of town for a few days tomorrow. Here is the part I'm not looking forward to....the bars at the airport! In the past, I always enjoyed having a couple of glasses of wine while waiting for my flight. Then maybe another glass during the flight. I'm planning on taking a book and try to stay distracted as well as sitting as far away from the bar as possible while I'm waiting for my flight. I've come this far and I don't want to blow it now. wishing you all a safe, sober weekend!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovesunrises View Post
Hi everyone! I'm back for my 5th sober weekend in a row (day 33 tomorrow). I am flying out of town for a few days tomorrow. Here is the part I'm not looking forward to....the bars at the airport! In the past, I always enjoyed having a couple of glasses of wine while waiting for my flight. Then maybe another glass during the flight. I'm planning on taking a book and try to stay distracted as well as sitting as far away from the bar as possible while I'm waiting for my flight. I've come this far and I don't want to blow it now. wishing you all a safe, sober weekend!

Tough it out! I spend my work week in airports and hotels.. I serve those cocktails on the planes. Take a special chocolate bar with you or get ice cream in the airport. Have a half seltzer / half cranberry juice on the plane. Take a good book or download music or podcast that can keep you distracted. You can do it!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

great weekend crowd shaping up - lots of good stuff going on,
loved the eating dog...
all this talk of weather here and other parts, and a song about an eskimo, how about another eskimo song...

Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

TGIF here in beautiful sunny Sydney.....great to see you all...looking forward to a fun and productive WE