Notices

How to use support? Weekender thread! Feb 27- March 1

Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Up and breakfasted. Cut up some pineapple and squeezed 3 fresh oranges for some tasty OJ. Gotta start the day with some healthy energy!

Trying to focus at work today, but I've got a vacation looming next week and I'm having a hard time with office duties. Car is gassed up for my drive to the coast tomorrow morning, it will be my first mini "ME-vacation" that I have taken in quite some time. After hearing about the record snow in the Northeast and the record cold February in Chicago, I am not going to take my good fortune for granted!

Had a two crazy dreams last night. In one dream, I had a terrible relapse. In another dream, I was riding in a hovercraft with Barak Obama. It's funny how those relapse dreams scare us so bad....we wring our hands and treat them as a warning of impending doom and worry that it will happen to us in real life. Other dreams we just brush off and say "ah, just a dream"! I think I will put both of these dreams in the "just a dream" category and move on without worry or regret!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Nonsensical;5226901]Then, next week I might get furloughed. I work for that government agency whose funding expires this week unless congress acts to renew it. I am ambivalent about being furloughed. I am fortunate in that my finances can absorb missing a paycheck or two, and I suspect we'll get paid for the furlough time eventually. It's just a paid vacation to me. But, there are people at work that I know would be significantly impacted if we are furloughed long enough to miss a paycheck and I don't want them to be in a bind.[QUOTE]

glad to know you are still wearing the pants nons...

Funny, I spent a little time watching Lewis Black on youtube last night. Then I read this and it reminds me how ff'd up our guvment is. They "shut it down" because funds are not appropriated. Workers can't work because they are not getting paid. So the wheel stops turning - sort of. Yet, when they finally do "approve funding" the people who were not getting paid - therefor did not work - are paid for the work they did not do.
Yeah, it's unfortunate some folks rely on that next check. I wonder how many double dip - use unemployment compensation and get back pay.
And I was feeling pretty good this morning after a breakdown yesterday.

A month into no tobacco and I lost it yesterday. I broke down and started crying. I couldn't function and called the mental health clinic - they scheduled me an appointment for 3 weeks out. Thanks a lot. Things got ugly here yesterday. But I got through it.
Then I get a bill for my physical exam - blood tests - almost $300. Affordable health care my ass. I hate this country.
Ate a bag of andes mints yesterday.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

(((LBrain)))
Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Sorry you had a bad day.. I had to wait a month for mental health as well. I agree the system sucks here. I adore Andes!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

well, I am going to FORCE MYSELF to get some things accomplished today. I'm tired of being quiet as a church mouse so I don't wake her up.

I didn't get caught up on the entire thread,,,
but nice photos trach - when we going fishing?
and that video reminded me of a few of the most overused - and inappropriately used I might add - in the American language.
Athlete, artist and hero, student athlete as well (that's a good one)
Guys/Gals attempting to emulate a trek across frozen ground hanging onto a sled pulled by dogs have now become "ALASKA'S ATHLETES" The dogs are athletes too. The day I hear cats being referred to as athletes is the day I jump off the bridge. And anyone who can get backing to put out a recording is now considered an artist. PU - LEASE! I don't even want to get into the word 'hero'. It has no significance anymore.

nons, I feel for ya having to sort through the rules and regs - I have a family member in a similar sort of thing... but dealing with family members over financial matters can be horrific. I know a family that was torn apart over a basically useless piece of property. One member took care of it and paid taxes etc. - we used it for hunting camp.
An unimproved unusable < 1 acre half swamp place we camped at during hunting season. Then when pops dies all hell broke loose over that and the house on the lake etc. Money is not evil, it just turns people into [choose your word].

mecanix - thanks for the reminder. I haven't heard this song in years.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

the wife informed me that she cannot go to elton john concert I wasted a an hour getting tickets for... great, anyone interested? it's tomorrow.

Don't know why I thought of this, but it was always one of my favorite songs from and artist that was one of my heroes. Could have been a decent cricket player, but by no means was he an athlete.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I always liked George the best, but I was always a bigger Stones and Floyd fan. I'll never deny the brilliance of Revolver, an album that blows away Sgt. Pepper.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I wonder how many double dip - use unemployment compensation and get back pay.
No one that I know of, but I suppose it could happen. Previous shutdowns have been so short-lived I'm not sure it would even be worth filing.

Seems like you're having a helluva morning. I hope things pick up for you soon.

The Nonmobile does not handle well on ice and snow. Fortunately I have a yellow light on the dashboard that notifies me when I lose traction. I probably would never have otherwise noticed that I was sliding through a red light and into the intersection.

Have a great Friday!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

LB - sorry to hear about the mental anguish.

I think you are doing the right thing by seeing a doctor (whenever that might be)! Getting in there and seeing a medical professional might really help you out. Whether it's for physical or mental issues, you will benefit greatly from the experience. Peace of mind is a huge bonus as well.

Part of the challenge of sobriety is that we also have a real life to live outside of the bubble of recovery. Life outside of recovery doesn't slow down, nor does it care about our struggles. When we are having hard times, that fact can become magnified and really frustrating. I myself still have a lot of problems accepting this and it's part of the reason I do NOT feel comfortable having close relationships with others. I simply can't be bothered with someone else's needs because my own personal issues are keeping my hands full most of the time. I think we forget that sometimes, others can help us carry those burdens. Hopefully the doctor can help take some of the weight you've been carrying around with you! Good luck!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Non, the traction light comment made me laugh. So true. The Rubymobile has the same light and similar issues.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Ticketmaster

I'd go with you to that Elton John Concert, LBrain, but you followed some Pinhead's advice here and used Ticketmaster to score only marginal Seats.

Bummer. That'll teach ya...-)

Light Snow here now, and a full Fridge from me Grocery Shopping yesterday after the Dog Park. Met a Retired Coal Miner there, and got a mighty interesting Education on Coal Mines. I asked him endless questions, and really enjoyed our Chat.

Missus Mesa is fighting a Cold. I'm on Chow Duty - which I enjoy - so it's fake Crab & Avocado Sushi Rolls for Brunch. Because we can. It's kinda like Ice Cream for Dinner. Why not?

-----
Old 02-27-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Its Friday and the weekend begins, well for me that is.

My weekend is planned:

Friday
1. Have a phone interview for a job today around 3
2. I have a meeting to go to at 6
3. Steve and I are going to watch some of are shows tonight.

Saturday
1. Going to another meeting around 2
2. Steve and I are going to finish are hard floor we did for the whole upstairs and put all the desks and stuff back where they go.
3. Going to go eat at a Mexican restaurant for my daughters assignment, she has to speak in Spanish to the waiter/waitress and they have to speak back to her in Spanish. Its going to be pretty cool I think.
4. Later on the night when Lukas is in bed, Steve and I are going to play our Ticket to Ride game on X-box

Sunday
1. Going to a meeting at 11
2. Finish up the upstairs
3. Take my daughter to cheer practice
4. Have some R&R
Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I'm back. I just spent an hour+ researching dishwashers. To fix/repair or to just unload it and get a new one. I also need to find out if guvment rebates are still available for trade ins...

Too many bad reports on the model (it's a maytag) I have so fixing it will seem like a waste of money. It lasted 11 years. I guess I am old fashioned. Things are built to last only ten years now. Not like the old days when you bought something you bought it for life. Do I go big money - upscale brands - or do I go average consumer product shopping to get me by for a couple more years until I unload this place and move in with MesaMan.

I used an old electronics technician/ I&C trick to get it working. The DWI method.
Yeah, I had to dick with it for about 20 minutes to get it to operate. Big difference between troubleshoot and dick with it. I need it working now. Troubleshoot is what repairmen do to jack up labor cost.
Looks like I'm off to best buy to see these things in person this afternoon.

Hasta luego amigos!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good luck Brain! You can actually wash dishes by hand. But I am teasing you. I did it my whole life until October? When I had the dishwasher put in finally.

I have a whirlpool and bought it on a wing and a prayer at a yard sale, unused. So far, so good. Try home depot and sears/Kmart.

Lunch break and I'm ready for work to be done. Only half way there.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Bummer. Was "gym gym gym" foreshadowing? Leonard Nimoy died. He was 83.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I guess for me, it's not so much finding support as giving support. At 18 months sober, there was such an urgency and clarity to quit now and forever that I just don't know what to say to others, either here or at AA, that won't sound unkind or condescending. My own program of choice was a One-Step smack upside the head: Quit *@#$*$* Now! So, I struggle to convey in any diplomatic sense how serious this s*it really is. Others on this board seem to have an infinite amount of patience.

Here's a dose of some Irish neo-soul to warm our cockles on another frigid weekend. Spring should arrive sometime in July.

Stay sober.
Stay safe.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

That's a bummer about Leonard Nimoy. He seemed timeless!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I know what you mean thenewguy. Sometimes I think I'm a user of sorts. I don't contribute a ton here. I do take a lot though. I find I don't have much to say, I guess. My tongue can get me into trouble too. Lbrain- Elton will cheer you up maybe. I always liked his sparkly yankees baseball helmet.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hope your well LB.

Great plan Jen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one distraught at the passing of Mr Nimoy ��

Just back from the gym - first time in ages! Feels good.

Live long and prosper my fellow soberenders.

B
Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

That's a bummer about Leonard Nimoy. He seemed timeless!
just waking up to hear the news...Rip
'Live long and prosper!'