Notices

How to use support? Weekender thread! Feb 27- March 1

Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm on board for my third sober weekend. Terrible about asking for help, but thankfully just reading what everyone posts here is very helpful.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

might as well start it off - Trach is snowed in. They got less than an inch but it is a state of emergency. Nons, I think you got much more snow than they did. When I talked to my sister yesterday she was ready for it. Snow around the Atlanta metro area is like, like, um... a 10 point 0 earthquake in downtown LA.
Elvis did a version of this - not as good as Anne's. But I didn't want to open up the Elvis floodgates so early in the year. Spring is less than a month away.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Sorry i forgot to say this is my second week end its will be a week on Saturday that i have been sober hoping to make it through that cant go to meetings until my nieces go home on Sunday in the morning there a aa meeting on Sunday night my husband can take me there
Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm in. I'll join Olive on the dog sled. Mush!!!! Five inches of snow snarling traffic. It's still falling and the temperature will go down to minus three tonight. I'm really tired of this. Really tired. And it's HOT inside so I'm sweating.

Support? What's that? I've always had it in one form or another. I just didn't recognize it. I didn't know how to ask for help. I didn't want to reach out. I didn't want to talk about things.

Well, that doesn't work so well for me. All the crap I bottle up is poison to my system. I think the key was in learning to identify who could help with what. And then doing the hard part. Talking. And listening. Listening is a skill. I could hear but didn't heed.

The biggest change in my recovery is to force myself to reach out even when I don't want to. It always makes a difference.

Going to AA for me isn't wholly about look at me, I need help. I can help other people who are in need of support. It's taking turns in lending a hand. Or a shoulder to cry on.

Pants free day, Non? That caught my attention. Sounds like my son who prefers to live his life in his underwear.

Good job on second weekend nymets.

I am in this weekend for the duration. And it's a three day weekend for me. I have to love government employment.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Heading for my first sober weekend. I've had them before so I know it's possible.

I may go play cards with my buddies on Saturday night. The good news about that is, I will have no urge to drink. I only drink when I'm home alone. Getting out of the apartment at night is a very good thing for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

March_in' On...

I had just copied the Song Link below in preparation and - BAM! - here's the Weekender Thread all torqued-up and rolling.

A series of lil Storms blasting through W. Colorado, here, so we've delayed cross-State Travel back to the City House until next Wednesday. Mebbe. Hella Snow amounts, and resultant Interstate crashes, around Vail. A Semi Truck went over on the Concrete Median. They had to unload it before attempting to move it. A ~20 Car Crash by the Truck Runaway [Sand-filled] Ramp at the bottom of the Grade just West of Denver. Here, what we call 'Corn Snow' last night. A dusting of lil Snow 'BBs'. Soft Hail, kinda. No biggie. See below a Snow Squall yesterday at Sunrise. I met Pals at the local Dog Park yesterday; it was that reasonable in the Sun.

After quite some delay, a protective, under-Body 'Belly Pan' for Da Wife's Passat finally arrived, and was installed yesterday in minutes. She caught a falling Rock off a Canyon Wall while driving over to here, and shredded the old Belly Pan. Put a Softball-size divot in the Frame. No harm. No foul. Any Rock that doesn't come through your Windshield is a relative non-issue. It happens around here on [rarely], and the deceased never even see it coming. Who ever runs this Show called 'The Universe' has a wicked sense of timing on occasion. On the other side of the Cosmic Ledger, I just missed being a part of a 'T Bone' Crash yesterday on a high speed County Road in front of the local Supermarket. Both Vehicles ahead of me were totaled. I think all Humans were OK, but both bent-Frame Vehicles are headed for the Scrap Yard. Knock on Masonite...

A Gal Pal's Tattooed, Grunger, Hairdressin' Daughter is bailing on her Gal Roommate in a Gentrified section of Denver. This Gal's Boyfriend - and not-Roommate - has a propensity to wander around 'Commando' in the morning sans Pants. I guess the view ain't all it's 'cracked up' to be.

Looking forward to continuing Sober fun here, and the nonstop pithy repartee!

I have no idea why, but this Song made me think of LBrain!

'Copper Canteen' ~ James McMurtry

-----
Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Here's the bus! I am jumping on right this instant.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Mesa, I'm glad you are safe after the miss. Scary.

Strategery, I'm glad you are hanging in there. It's always good to reach out and it's the hardest thing to do sometimes.

My brother is waiting with my sister in law at the airport to board his plane to Puerto Rico for the weekend. Left at just the right time.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Mesa, at least he's got a sweet martin 12 string...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Conta su di me!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Pants optional? This should be fun

With my 200lbs we should pick up speed quickly on the downhill stretches

I'm glad you're feeling better Weasel

Your post was spot on Gilmer.
I feel guilty sometimes that all the help I've found on SR. I seem to have taken out a lot more than I have put in
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

This is my 4th weekend being sober, Last weekend we got our taxes done and I went to 3 meetings last weekend..

This weekend not sure what we are doing besides me going to my meetings.

Have awesome sober weekend guys
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'll jump on the sober sled, but since I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt I might not fit in with the rest. Looking forward to getting off work and slipping on my flip-flops and walking to the market to buy loads of fresh fruit. Thursdays are good days at the market, lots of vendors and good fresh selections!

Getting support for my drinking problem was very hard for me. I had to be carried into detox on a stretcher - some call that the "gift of desperation". I learned how to lean on people a bit more in rehab, but I'm the type of person who always likes to LOOK as if I've got my isht together...even when I don't. Today I've learned that it's okay to have bad days. It's okay to be afraid, and it's okay to ask questions when you're unsure of things. SR has been a great place for me to learn how to do these things when it comes to my sobriety!

My mom's coming down to visit me next week! It should be fun, but there's a part of me that's stressed out about it - I think most people can relate when it comes to hosting family visitors. But my mom's only going to be here 5 nights so I think I'll manage! I do love flexing my "tour guide skills" and this is a great place to show off. She's super excited and it will be a good time. I've prepared pretty well, and will have a maid come and clean my entire house this weekend so that things are all in tip-top shape.

Being that the maid's here all day Saturday, I'm going to bust out the Isuzu Rodeo and treat myself to a drive down to the tropical Pacific Coast that day. I'll likely do some swimming, enjoy the sea breeze and humid weather, enjoy some seafood and spend the night in a small hotel on the beach. Cheap, peaceful, and a good way to spend the day. In the meantime, I'm going to get back to work and bust my butt today and tomorrow so that my weekend can be that more enjoyable. Glad to be on board!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good stuff Gilmer!!!

Out of work and ready to head to town for a nice meal out. New place I want to try. Portland has a great food scene so always something interesting.

Working from home tomorrow. Busy and productive work week. I have two big projects and will garner a lot of attention. They are easy to navigate so I should get some kudos for them. All fun stuff.

Great to see everyone!!!!

Check in later with a restaurant review!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Count me in.
Challenging days ahead for me... Christmas meal tomorrow night with mr petals and his work mate and wife..... guess I will have to drive. ... good as it keeps me focused. .... bad as mr p will hit it hard and probably become unbearably obnoxious.
Then I'm away Saturday and saturday night with night school.... usually a very drunken weekend. Will be my first time facing it sober.....
Will be asking for you guys to support if that's ok
Hugs to you all.xxx
Old 02-26-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Hey Hey ,
rocking and rolling into town …

I think for me a lot of the support i get is from seeing how people like Dee , Robby & AAsharon deal with people . I wish i could be half as compassionate and knowledgable .

Also it gives me a great lift to see people notching up their early days .. sometimes they stumble but when they get back to it , thats glorious

When you accept everything just as it is an odd thing happens, struggle ends.
I found that it was my burning desire to have unending happiness without one moment of pain or disappointment that was causing me the pain and hurt.
The desperate want of need to make the pain bearable was the driver that kept me seeking escape . Catch 22 ..
In the end i just gave up and it all dropped away and now i find myself just getting on with the next thing .

For me when i have an "issue" and seek support it's very often in the way of trying to gain perspective on myself , situations and as to if i'm operating on an even keel and acting in a sober and measured way ..

Keep on , m
Old 02-26-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hopping aboard. Whew its been a weird week. Who knew you needed an ID to board a bus? I surly didn't, spent almost 2 days getting that whole ordeal sorted out. All must stuff is on its way to FL, I'll be leaving monday morning. So yall are stuck with me this weekend. Its a no pants party wooohooooo
Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ring ring...climbing aboard at the last stop it seems!

Hello to all my fellow soberenders! Glad to see you all here.

Met Mrs B for an "early bird" dinner in town after work. We had planned on taking a look around the shops, but the cold deterred us! I know, only 3°, but all relative.

I'm finding SR a great support. Living without alcohol is still very new to me. Connecting with others who successfully live sober is helping me imagine what in the past I was convinced was impossible.

Glad your feeling better Weasel!

B
Old 02-26-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Earth Child

went to an AA meeting it was good managed to speak felt terrified
I have to use to it if am going to keep going to AA
i have to get myself into routine doing my prayers to my higher power and to exercise
my therapist want me to go slowly about going on buses she said i dont want to make myself do something when my mental health is bad
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think this will work now.

http://http://youtu.be/pSZkpJVDs4o