Notices

How to use support? Weekender thread! Feb 27- March 1

Old 02-28-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

wow, I slept in today. Only because I discovered how to use the youtube button on my smart little tv. I got the cheapest tv I could get - cheaper than fixing my laptop - about a year ago. It's still in plastic cause I was gonna return it. But netflix and youtube vids are stellar on this little thing.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. One month quit cold turkey with nothing more than my wits to guide me. Nicotine is evil too.

DA - stay close to the forum and post all day if it helps! Please, we are all worried about you and want to know you are doing okay.

Too much to comment on as I ... but, SNEAKERS! Definitely from the northeast. It drives me mad when I hear people call everything that's not a shoe 'tennis shoes' - ahhhhhggg!
Bim - hang in there. You reminded me yesterday I saw a display at a store. Two tables with russel stover heart shaped boxes of chocolates. 75% reduced. $4 for a box.
I thought about getting one and hiding it for next year. Now, should I buy 50 of em, keep em and sell em next year for $8 a box. Who would know?

I looked and found out Sir Elton has been opening his shows with this little number. He's doing a lot from yellow brick road and most of his hits from over the years. Should be a good show. Hope I'm not behind the stage. The way it is setup he should be looking straight at us while seated at the pie-ano.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Send chocolate to me, LB.

Have fun at the show. Jelly. His old stuff was the best. Soundtrack of my mischievous youth.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Got through the pub outing last night okish. Didn't drink but wanted to.
Spent the day in a pub.... caught myself looking longingly at the others who were drinking.
Evening meal is going to be in a pub and tonight's entertainment is in another pub. ... sorry I forgot to say I'm on a night school outing! X
Old 02-28-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Just grit your teeth and make it through today. One day at a time! Tomorrow you'll feel confident, knowing you were thrown into the lions' den, yet managed to survive!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

No hangover today! Yay! I stayed at work late on Friday night to avoid going home to the apartment. No booze in the place, but the liquor store is only a 15 minute walk away. I'm on day 5.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hang tough, JD!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

hi all just joining the weekender thread, was having a hard time last night. I have to run a few errands today. Feeling the pull to grab a couple beers. I didn't feel happy or victorious waking up without a hangover today. I immediately started thinking of alcohol and that was 4 hours ago.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to hear the artist formerly known as Reg again

60 days sober today. Spring begins in a few hours

Should feel great but instead feel like I have plateau'd. Blah

Dark Asylum hope your on board - I'm thinking of you
Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Sleepie and Saoutchik, if you've got time to kill online, go over to the Social Groups section of SR and read up on the Recovery Follies thread. There's a lot of very amusing stuff there. It will divert you for a bit and pick up your mood.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-11-a.html
Old 02-28-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

slow Saturday here... I just scored 2 front row seats for Hall and Oats in May - second level but on the rail excellent seats! I just saw after market tix for EJ going for 300 to over $1000. Maybe I should go into the ticket scalping business. hmmm

time for me to get busy and do something while the wife sleeps away the day.

here's another song from Reg for you sautchik

Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Relative Sobriety

Cardoon posted elsewhere about approaching Sobriety by knuckling down, and [in my altered words] 'just fn doin' it'! Do or die. That attitude; lots of SR time; and a few Pals at the Dog Park, was my Support Gig. I kinda recall that around my 3 month mark last Spring was when my Inner Sobriety Movie went from B/W to Color, a la 'The Wizard Of Oz'. I crested into a morphed Head Space where fundamentally new things were possible.

We were Rear-Ended down by Disney World the last day of '89. Not-tall Friends in the Rental Car Back Seat were unscathed. Da Wife got a royal case of Whiplash, and I got the worst. Drivers - that would be me - tense up in anticipation from seeing your Life about to change fo evah in the Rear View Mirror. I came to think of my Head as not unlike a Bowling Ball on a Toilet Paper Tube. About the same weight differential. Neck Muscles tear. They re-heal with Scar Tissue. They forever impinge on the 'Thoracic Outlet'. This is where the Nerve Bundle leaves your Neck to 'operate' your Arms. Not unlike what a Pic of Vocal Cords looks like. But, with Nerves in the middle.

For over 2 years, we'd come Home; lay on the Floor; and sob. The pain can be unbearable. Our Attorney - required to settle $$ fairly with my own fn Insurance Company - told me he'd had 2 Clients stick Handguns in their Mouths to get out of the indescribable pain. And, I've had 2 Kidney Stones to reference against re: Pain Intensity.

My point - and I do have one - is that even the profound difficulty of Sobering up is 'relative'. For me, it was as tough as any other Member here, but was relative to Whiplash. I hit the Gym hard, and bulked up new Musculature so that the old, scarred Musculature had additional support. I carried this same 'Self-Determined' Program Design perspective into my Sobriety Program Design. As appears to be the case from reading Cardoon, this is simply who I am. So, an internally-driven Program was my sole Option if it were to stick.

Actually, writing about thanking everyone here is causing me to tear up from a sincere appreciation of this Community, with a lil Whiplash PTSD thrown in. Boy, didn't see that one coming. I'm fine. The Whiplash Memory aspect has mellowed to be like that sharp 'twinge' of putting down a favorite Pet.

I guess a part of my 'unique' Recovery Program is to keep busy. Stay happy. Enjoy my Wife. And, my Dog. Don't over-think it, or even attempt to go by the Guidelines and Success Markers of others. All that Recovery/Sobriety has to be is better/easier than Whiplash. Given what unending Pain is like, Sobriety can't help but be 'easier'; even when in profound Emotional darkness.

In other News, Sir Elton John reportedly changed his Set List after Princess Diana's demise. He no longer does some Songs. He's a real Pro, and it should be a good Show! From memory, the Song linked below is from when Elton gave a Heterosexual Relationship a go, and married an Aussie Sound Engineer. This Song is for all here who might be hurting, and need hope...

Sunrise this morning below.

'Someone Saved My Life Tonight' ~ Elton John

-----
Old 02-28-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you Gilmer - I had forgotten about that thread.
The alcoholic I am, plus my own personality means I'm always expecting instant results. Drives people nuts. I'm prone to whinging sometimes - my ex wife would confirm that

Sorry to hear about your getting hit Mesa, that sounds really tough. It's like both really bad luck and yet good luck in that you could have died, but didn't (I hope that made sense)
11 years ago I was a passenger when we got slammed sideways on. - broken pelvis. At least the Comp paid off my mortgage
Old 02-28-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Well got my new sne...... umm foot coverings. Did score some new soc...... umm cloth things for my feet tooo. Whew hope thats better.
Feeling better since I've been outside, heads still not right. Thinking too much is a bad bad thing for me. Gonna chill out with a movie or 2 and shut my brain off for awhile.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday Sober Enders!

Love the photo, Mesa! You take the most amazing images.

Lazy day here, just painting and doing a marathon of Transparent. It is really good.

Yesterday, at the grocery, I almost fell for this!
And then my logical brain kicked in.

Be well people!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1330 (188x250).jpg (63.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hi all! No emissions check. Waited for forty minutes in line and car overheated. There was another 40 minutes to go at that point. I'm hating Mr. Ruby for not doing it any time over the past three months after I kept reminding him. I only hope I don't get a ticket for expired plates.

At my parents with kids but leaving to go grocery shopping and laundry.

Gilmer, get to work!!! Sounds like me.

Bimini, I'm glad you are feeling better. Teeth pain is the worst.

Til later.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Settling in on my Saturday evening, watching boxing on the TV at the moment, then onwards to England in the Cricket!!

Today I got a few errands done and some much needed housework sorted.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, welcome to all the newcomers, this place is fantastic for some extra support, if you're struggling then post, if you've slipped then post, there's still plenty of time to make this a successful Sober weekend!!

Let's keep it Sober!!
Old 02-28-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I woke up very early today and finished off a particularly frustrating piece of homework that I just couldn't handle yesterday. Now I want to get another homework project done, but I'm stalled--I just keep rescanning SR in hopes somebody--anybody!--will post to distract me!

Somebody slap me upside the head and tell me to get back to work!
you're as bad as me this morning... .
get back to work (me too)!
Old 02-28-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I did get to work, Ruby and Strat! The new homework is almost done! I expect to do a quick supermarket run and watch House of Cards season III as soon as my husband gets home from his conference.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Way to go Gil!

I'm done with all my running around today. Back into my comfy clothes and ready to read or watch some TV.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

House of cards evening! Season three! Gilmer... Let me know what you think.

I slept most of the day.