Notices

Yippee!!!! The Weekender Thread Sept 19-21

Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Nice music, rogue.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Happy birthday rougedreams!!!!!!!!!!!! It's fantastic that everything worked out the way it did in the end. (I can really relate to birthday disappointments, you handled it brilliantly) Well done!!!

Old 09-21-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ok weekenders.... I was out and about today and while on the road I see a lot of folks with campers... It is Maine.... And then some have trailers with stuff in them and others have trailers pulling trailers or a car with trunks of stuff strapped to the roof. So they have all this stuff and stuff strapped to stuff with more stuff being towed with stuff crammed in the cars up to the roof.

I am NOT a stuff person.

When I see people with back packs or bags of stuff... And they don't seem to be homeless... I have to wonder what kind of stuff are they compelled to drag around with them?

Is anyone else not a stuff person and wonder why stuff people need so much stuff with them?

If you are a stuff person I want to understand this. Please help me.

K
Old 09-21-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Roving hoarders. Ever watch the hoarding shows on TV? Creepy stuff. Different addiction I suppose. I'm not a stuff person either. Would rather refer to it as another word that starts with an 'S'
Old 09-21-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Depends on the day, weas. Sometimes, I walk out the door with my keys, wallet, phone and nothing else. Sometimes I car camp with a truck full of gear. Sometimes I backpack with less than 30 pounds of gear for a week. But I'm only one guy(who just skipped a bunch of commas). I am slowly weaning myself from superfluous stuff to necessary stuff.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

I keep the door to the second bedroom closed most of the time.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Stuff should be a four letter word. "STUF"
Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

How we doing Weekenders?!!

Settling in on my Sunday evening, watching the football with a large pot of green tea beside me.

The wedding went well yesterday, always a long day, but the happy couple had a great day, which is the important thing, funny how the focus in Sobriety becomes the couple getting married and not who's round it is in Sobriety, it gives a whole different perspective on things!!

Back to work in the morning, so taking it easy until bedtime!!
Old 09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Almost forgot to post the other postcard I got last week.
This is a very, very cool subway station in Russia.
Hope everyone is doing well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-3722998813.jpg (62.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

I'm encountering a lot of "stuff situations" this week, Weasel. I've always lived a fairly minimalist lifestyle, but even I have had to scratch my head as I prepare to pack 2 suitcases this week. Those 2 suitcases must contain everything I want to have with me moving forward.

I think that people who collect Stuff might also be called "nesters". They need this thing for x, they need that thing for y, and just in case z happens they will need 5 of those. I think that also, certain items remind them of good times - and it's hard to let those items go.

As I pack my life into 2 suitcases, I can see the nice part about being able to hang on to some of these things. My college sweatshirt. A book my grandmother bought me. A cool souvenier I picked up abroad. A refrigerator magnet with a special message. Those unique candlesticks. That cool orange vase. My charcoal grey Calvin Klein suit. The map on the wall. My trusty and loyal houseplants that have grown so tall in my care. The list goes ON AND ON! I'd love to just have all of those things somewhere around me - just in case. And I also want to keep them because I know that no new owners will treasure them like I did.

But as I have progressed in sobriety, I realize that the most important thing is making sure we enjoy the moment. Stop trying to save happiness in a bottle (literally AND figuratively)! In my case: I have a bank account. I have a job. I have clothes. I have a roof over my head waiting for me abroad. What more do I need? While I certainly have more empathy for "stuff people" as I go through this process, it's also nice to know we can all shed ourselves of a lot of the meaningless knick-knacks and lighten the load so that we can enjoy today more easily!

Timely topic! Thank you!
Old 09-21-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Thank you weekend bus!!

I have enjoyed reading all the posts. Haven't posted myself as a weekend out and about in the sunshine, some meetings and lots of coffee.

My football team beat Manchester United today which was the icing on the cake on a decent weekend! Best thing is, I watched it with a diet coke and enjoyed every minute and every goal. And didnt miss any at the bathroom or pouring drinks.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
funny how the focus in Sobriety becomes the couple getting married and not who's round it is in Sobriety, it gives a whole different perspective on things!!
Too true PK! As a drinker, the only thing I cared about at weddings was making sure I drank my fill at the open bar. I was always anxious to finish dinner as fast as possible so that I could get back to the bartender, who always became my "best buddy" as the night rolled on into the wee hours.

Congrats to you for getting through so many weddings this season! Thanks for the inspirational update!
Old 09-21-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Thank You! One of the few zep songs I used to play all the parts of except drums.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roguedreams View Post
Congratulations on 174 days! Tomorrow will be your "dodransbicentennial" in days, so to speak! I just wanted to say that I've considered doing roller derby too, in times past. I think I'm still a bit too timid - mentally timid - but I *think* I would absolutely love to do it. I love watching it and think it would be super empowering - and a bonding experience. What was the boot camp like?
Roller Derby boot camp was hours and hours of skate till you puke, then practice hip checks and falling down followed by yoga without taking your gear off. It was hard! It was awesome. I'll stick to being a fan
Old 09-21-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

BigS.... You said they really well. Seems I am more a stuff guy than I think. I have many things from special times. I hope everyone has stuff like that. I respect that.

But what stuck me was seeing these people with "the stuffier stuff" was the sheer amount of it. Not sure quantity is a way to qualify it.

sthlondonab... Welcome!

To everyone who joined in or lurked with us we have another sober weekend coming to a close. If this weekend was not the one then try again. I didn't know when I had my last drinking weekend that it was my last until I made the next sober my first sober weekend. Keep trying!!!

Ken
Old 09-21-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Very cool postcard Olive! You must have some mighty big collection. I love it!!!!
Old 09-21-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
But what stuck me was seeing these people with "the stuffier stuff" was the sheer amount of it. Not sure quantity is a way to qualify it.
I know what you're talking about. It's those people with 3 different versions of Wal-Mart plastic coolers and they squeeze them all in their truck along with 17 other silly things for a 2-day vacation.

I am sending the truly treasured belongings back to Minneapolis to my mother, along with some cool presents I got her and my niece/nephew/sister/grandma from Central America.

Thanks for hanging out with me this weekend folks. I know I spent a lot of "me time" talking about my own situation and wasn't the best listener. But, since I'm moving out of my old apartment alone, it was nice to be able to vent and share my experiences with others. Next weekend I'm traveling back south, and I hope that after I settle in that I can enjoy listening a bit more and helping the newcomers. Thanks again for the great support everyone!
Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

This could be the first time ever I felt like doing something after the second game on a Sunday. It IS the first time I am not just surviving on the couch waiting to 'fall asleep' during the night game. I have some things to do in the garage. This morning/early aft I spent 3 hours setting up a hunting blind/scouting area to hunt this week. I can only hunt first couple days because of logistics on butchering and storing venison. Have to leave for hotlanta in 10 days. It felt good to be in the woods becoming one with the place.
Olive, your postcard is the "old" subway station in Moscow. I want to do a road trip to see a game in Seattle. I think they are superbowl bound again. Great game. Eagles won too! I like the train from the airport that goes through all those stops along the way to downtown. Get out right at the stadium.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Brain! You're coming to town? If you have time, and the inclination, let's have some lunch or something.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

family member having medical issues - surgery hospital stay then home alone etc. I'll be a caretaker for week or so. and do some work around the house and more. I see blue oyster cult is in town. But I doubt I'll be able to have much leisure time. I'll be up the road a piece 35 miles. Well, I cleaned up in the garage some, gathered 5 gal pails and yard work things and put in shed, closed up umbrella just before windy storm came through.
gonna settle for the night.
GOOD WEEKEND AGAIN EVERYONE. I was quite busy. But I am reminded I have more stuff than is necessary. My stuff is like owning a car in San Francisco. There always has to be many on the road because there is no place to park them all. I have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff!