Notices

Ch-ch-ch-changes! Weekender Thread Aug 8-10

Old 08-07-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

letitgo - that's 3 votes for tell a friend - or just avoid with a polite excuse.

well Buggirl, LeTheVerte pretty much covered it, but she left out ice cream

Altoids, you got it goin on!

ha ha ruby, a trigger finger definitely carries more weight than a middle finger
Old 08-07-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I made the decision to stop drinking July 25th. The biggest change I've noticed since then is how scary and freeing not having an escape is.

I use to bury my problems. Even if I wasn't drunk at the time, I knew I would or could be soon, so I never had to be honest in the moment. I can't check out anymore, so why not be honest with myself and others right here and now?

It has been difficult but well worth it. It has taken more courage than I would have guessed, but at least I am now allowing myself the chance to be brave in the first place.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

we can't hide from ourselves any longer doublefelix, I know I did for many years. We learn how to accept life and face it without hiding in a bottle. In time you'll be much stronger.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey... Back from an awesome dinner. Ready for bed. Next up NYC.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Be bada$$ about your sobriety. Guard it like the Holy Grail. Smackdown non-helpful thoughts and suggestions as needed.
LeTheVerte - I love this! BADA$$!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

good luck weasel, enjoy

well use guys! I got caught up reading the forum and forgot I was 'making' lunch for my bride. simmering broccoli on the stove at the lowest possible heat. and yes, even on low stuff burns, I thought the neighbors were at their fire pit...
start over...
Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Ack! Over cooked veggies are the worst!!! Yes, start over. LOL! I've been on a brussels sprouts kick lately. I love those little cabbages. Broccoli is an all time favorite around here, too. Oh, and asparagus and spinach and kale!!! Oooooo, love spinach and kale salads.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Brussel sprouts are good with bacon.

Can't believe bacon hasn't been mentioned yet.....
Old 08-07-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

kale sauteed with garlic in olive oil underneath those scallops. heirloom tomato, garden beans and mango too.
grilled scallops wrapped in BACON!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8.7dinner.jpg (72.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Weasel! Well done Your fortitude is inspiring.

This whole thread is going to be printed and posted on my fridge. Have to run bath but want to say that your posts are just fantabulous.

LBrain - I had what appeared to be a simmered broccoli with garlic at a great place in Brooklyn. Was Heaven. Recreating, I essentially parboiled the broccoli, sliced garlic and simmered in a frying pan. Sometimes with chicken broth and sometimes with just water and salt. So simple and so delicious. Are you doing anything after the low simmer. Thanks. Tomorrow broccoli is on the menu. BTW - my local market is selling cauliflower for $4.**/head! AcH! I'm assuming it is the drought and I hope that that is not going to be the trend for produce prices.

Altoids! I have a fantastic and ridiculously filling kale with broccoli salad to tell you about after the bath. YUM!

OK! Bath. Later friends.

Last edited by Verte; 08-07-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: to add some more bacon for Olive.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Love to cook my Brussels in a hot oven in olive oil till they are brown and crunchy on the outside and super soft on the inside, then season with a nice dose of kosher salt. Can't get the H to like them so when I make them they are all mine. Great little snacks.

H made veal piccata with Caesar salad tonight ( homemade Ceasar dressing, egg yolk, anchovies). So good. Had my seltzer with fresh lime and was content.

Lovely evening in NYC. Great sleep weather for us sober folk! Sweet dreams Weasel!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Altoids! I have a fantastic and ridiculously filling kale with broccoli salad to tell you about after the bath. YUM!
YAY. Can't wait!!!

And, YES, Brussels sprouts with bacon. . .the only way to eat them. LOL!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi guys, I'm in! I can't believe we're on page 3 already.

To me the greatest change in the 4 months since I stopped drinking is that I don't feel the depression and despair. When I was drinking heavily, there were days I would be driving to work so depressed and filled with self-hatred that I would start to tell myself that my family would be better off without me. Not one day since April 21 have I felt that way. I still struggle with life, but I'm turning back into the happy, optimistic person that I used to be. I came out of a very dark place and I'm not ever going back there.

If you are new, the advice from my friends here is right. Sobriety has to come first. No matter what. You are worth it.

I took vacation tomorrow and Monday. I was originally heading back to my hometown in Pennsylvania to see my parents and go to a big craft fair, but in the spirit of putting sobriety first, I decided that I just didn't want to do the 7hour drive again. We've done it several times this summer and that was enough. So instead, I'm going to take care of a bunch of things I need to do around here and then on Saturday my daughter and I are heading down towards Charlotte to do some back to school shopping and visit IKEA. We are spending Saturday night in a hotel. It will be a fun mother-daughter break and I can't wait.

So great to see everyone here and read the posts. Wonderful to see new people too.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

OMG...I am in NYC with my son, his girlfriend, and my parents. I think this is a wonderful place to visit but I'm not sure I could live here. WAY too much going on. I walked around Times Square and in the Hell's Kitchen area with my son and gf. We ordered food from a Turkish/Mediterr. restaurant. SO good AND delivered to our hotel. I'm totally not used to having so many food choices and from so many ethic regions....I am in heaven! I am pretty out of shape so I'm thinking I will feel it from all the walking but so worth it. Last time I was here was in 2001. I was with my now ex-husband and it was here in NYC on that trip that I drank again after 13 years of being clean and sober. I believed at the time I was "all better". It is so awesome to be here with my son, being sober, and really experiencing this trip! Cha-Cha-Changes is a great theme for this weekend for sure!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Olive is just the first all over the place today. First to respond to the initial post. First to mention bacon. I was just thinking we are on page three and no bacon. I fried some up before posting and it's all gone. Mmmm.

I'm exhausted but I want to ride in the back seat to ikea with Charlee! Have fun! I had the meatballs and mashed potatoes with lingonberry sauce.

I think it's time to wrap things up for tonight. My family is crazy. They are driving me crazy. The hamster is going crazy. I never saw a hamster do so many gymnastics, hanging from the cage bars so much.

One thing about sobriety is that even if my kids and husband drive me nuts I am better able to handle it sober. And I don't have anxiety attacks about driving downtown every day. Still not happy about it but I don't freak out.

It won't exactly be early to bed,early to rise but that is where I'm headed. See you all in the morning!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

In for the weekend - can't wait to be done with work tomorrow. Tgif. Biggest changes....anxiety is about gone and I am generally more relaxed. I feel more confident and self-assured. I feel good every morning when I wake up (maybe not always fantastic, but not hungover)
Gotta get some bacon.
Tiptree...I love Brussel sprouts roasted in a hot oven too. Yum!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Buggirl ,
There is a useful cravings thread here :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Nice long showers when i was craving were good as was ice cream , not together tho … Watching movies on u-tube MSTK 3000 i also rediscovered reading and going out for walks to the coast .

One of the first gifts of sobriety ? saturday morning waking up without a hangover feeling calm and relaxed , no jitters or shaky hands . No frustration waiting for my mum to get herself together and me to sober up enough to take her shopping in the car , time i used to feel was "wasted" because i was not drinking …. glad it's not crazy like that anymore , Phew !

Have a good friday y'all , m
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

moisture meter anyone?

weekend plans may change. heading off to bed. decided to check fishing reel in basement to see what line is on it. Something brushed my hair. A spider? A moth? No, a drop of water. It is from the wall where the microwave electric line goes up behind the stove. No sign of moisture anywhere except from the hole. Ran dishwasher but a leak couldn't have traveled that far without other signs. Plus making a 90 past the studs into the corner. Too late to venture up into the roof. I already disassembled the electrical box but the wings won't disengage to have a looky into the wall. Could I have a roof leak? It hasn't rained in a week. Is my 'attic' filled with rain water? I'm just thinking here. I have no desire to go up there and crawl through fiberglass insulation in the heat with poison ivy. I thought about having a beer. Just for a second. Been looking to see if I can rent a meter rather than purchase one. I'll have to settle for a home depot pos meter I guess. I'm not in the mood to start ripping walls apart, or flooring or ceiling...
Anyone got several thousand bucks laying around they don't need?

Double turds!! I should have been asleep well over an hour ago...

How's everyone else tonight? Sorry for the long post. I just needed to vent somewhere.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice guys and I will stay with it with you on here!