Notices

A thread of hope for the weekenders! July 11-13

Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi all, in for the weekend! Daughter is performing in a show tonight and hubby is attending - in the past that would have meant cracking open a bottle at about four because it's Friday - that makes it ok, right?! Not anymore

Elderflower water here, new drink of choice and loving it!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Joining in for weekend #1 sober... Im sure I will spend A LOT of time on here!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome X29!!! Welcome to SR and the weekender.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xxzx29bxx View Post
Welcome 29b!

I'm in. This time last year I would have been in a daze or blacked out, it's Friday night here.

So grateful and happy life is not even a shadow of what it was back then. Love that alcohol is not in my life anymore. Hope and freedom. I finally get to be the real me!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

So the protective wall I put up around the stuff in my head that is too painful to process has got to go. I'm "sick" because that stuff is stuck in there and it's manifesting as lethargy, apathy, malaise, fatigue, joint pain, migraine, general sense of feeling unwell. I'm "sick" and I called in to work, and didn't leave my home for three days.

"WHAT WE RESIST PERSISTS" (some lady on Oprah)

I don't want advice. I know what I have to do. I have a plan of attack. For now I just wanna hang out on the sober bus and watch and have people who understand just come and sit by me and say "yay! We're sober today! Isn't that so awesome?"

Cause I think it is incredibly awesome.

I know I give out loads of unsolicited advice. One of my annoying character defects, lol. So for now in this moment I'll take the cotton out of my ears and put it in my mouth, shut up, and listen. Don't should on me. Don't tell me what to do. You can tell me what you did, I'll listen.

My work week is just starting. My weekends start on Tuesday evenings. Back to work. Hey I guess considering how "sick" I am, I'm proud that I'm going to make it to work today. Even if it is motivated by fear of having no $ for food or to pay rent with. Yay me. {she said in her best Eeyore voice and then LOL'ed}
Old 07-11-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Gah, sober weekend #1, and I'm already having anxiety attacks.

There will be so many great opportunities to drink this weekend:
- A cold one for the road
- A cold one on the road
- A cold one at the trailer
- A cold one on the boat
- A few cold ones with my wife's alcoholic uncle and cousins

This is going to be a toughie. At least I can check in here every now and then. And if I can make it through this weekend, I might be able to make it, period.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

You will be able to make it! If we all did, you can!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by SparkyMcSparky View Post
When I can make it through this weekend, I will be able to make it, period.
There, Sparky. Fixed it for ya'.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Postcard intermission!
I found a bunch of postcards in the box this week, all the way from London!!!!
Mecanix was super industrious!! I will sprinkle them in the next couple days. Maybe he can add color commentary.....
He said this one was bear skins marching for the queen?
Thank you Mecanix!!!! I love them all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-28969776.jpg (79.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Getting the car washed as we speak! Going to be a beautiful weekend here in Maine. I have plans for a long walk in the early morning and then the farmers market to get some green beans and Kirby's to pickle! Bread and butter and half sours.

Hope everyone is well!!!!!

Nice postcard Olive!

K
Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I need my car washed and cleaned too. the kids eat in the back seat. Several varieties of cereal strewn.

On train downtown. loud loud loud. taste of chicago goers. typing on phone which stinks so I will check in office. Welcome new people to the sober bus.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Magsie

Another 24 hours for me too, please. 9.41 pm Friday night. UK.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by xxzx29bxx View Post
Welcome to SR!

You'll get a lot of great support here!

This thread, and the whole site really, helped me through my first sober weekend. We all have to go through it and there are lots of folks with loads of experience.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

So, it's supposed to be a scorcher here in the Seattle area for about the next week or so. There is a heat advisory starting Saturday morning through Sunday night.

I would say too bad because I wanted to go to the farmer's market but truth is, I'm feeling a bit down today. My knee is really hurting me and makes walking very difficult. I have a doctor appointment in two hours and hopefully she will give me something to help. The anti-inflammatories aren't really helping.

I missed how the whole postcard thing started but I'm jealous! I think it would be grand to get postcards from fellow SR folks around the world! I do appreciate that you share with us. I'd send you on but since we are in the same-ish neighborhood, I don't think I'd have anything really exciting to send.

It's lovely to see so many folks committed to a weekend of sobriety!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

OK, where shall I sit on this bus? On day 5, this is my first weekend and I intend to grab ahold of my seat and go along for the sober weekend ride. Thanks for being here.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

*Ring Ring!* I'm getting on. Love this thread! (And love the postcards, Olive!)

Hope... I am new to recovery (day 16) but feel like I've had an epiphany and now know how to proceed with my life. I now have hope for the future and can honestly attribute it largely to this site. It has given me so much inspiration, information, and support. Before this, I had many years of drinking under my belt, which progressively turned into hard-core alcoholism with the you-name-it-I-did-it symptoms. I tried to control it on my own, until I found this site and found so many similar stories it was overwhelming. Godsent. And even more priceless was the answer that I was so desperately seeking - there is no moderation once you were an alcoholic. I had to concede it is not possible for me. It was such a relief to finally realize it, admit it, and start living it. I choose life, sobriety, and mindfulness. What's even better is that I don't have to do anything else for it that goes against my grain (for me it was any in-person meetings, etc.) I can choose my own path, I can create my plan, there are many options to live it.

My happiest recovery moment has to be now. I had a health scare which turned out to be just a scare, thankfully, but allowed me to take good stock of my life and what I want from the rest of it. Living in the moment, being present and aware is such a fabulous feeling. I hope everyone who is struggling now gets to experience it sooner than later. Don't ever lose hope. Better life is possible for everyone.

My weekend is wonderfully busy with lots of fabulous little things.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

So this weekend we have a public holiday on the 12th July here in N.Ireland, which is tomorrow on Saturday, so that means I have a day off work on the Monday!!

Now that used to mean an extra stop off at the liquor store to make sure i didn't run out over 3 nights of drinking, and If I still was drinking I'd be rubbing my hands at the prospect of the World Cup final also being on this Sunday with Monday off work, what madness I could get up to without having to worry about getting up on Monday morning.

This evening I left work at 5pm, I said best wishes to my colleagues and walked the 10 minutes along the river to the car park, I got in my car, the sun was shining and I was excited that it was the end of the week and I now had a few days off for the weekend, I turned on the radio, turned on my favourite station, rolled the window down and drove home, I parked my car in the drive and went across to my corner shop to grab some milk and bread as the shops will be closed for the holiday, I had a great chat with the shop assistant, nothing anything special, just chit chat on a friday evening about this and that, I went into my house, made myself a cup of tea and sat down!!

It was then that I realised alcohol hadn't even crossed my mind during the whole journey home, alcohol had been sidelined to an activity that isn't included in my weekend plans anymore!!

Welcome to any newcomers!! We can do this Weekenders!!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to the weekender thread battypatty. Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.

Interesting afternoon. A guy I went to financial planning classes with had a soiree to celebrate his appointment as a financial adviser. I went to do a little networking. It was at a bar, so I figured I eat some finger food and have a soda and network. He had a private room up in a loft. All they had to drink was beer. Not even water? WTF? This guy was trying to be a good host and kept saying "get a beer, get a beer!" Ummmmm....Nope! I met a few people, swapped a few business cards, and made for the exit.

I'm glad I went. In the past I probably would have waved off in favor of staying home where I could drink at my socially unacceptable pace. I'm still learning how to be social, so this was good practice for me.

Hope the weather is good this weekend. I have yard work to do!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks Monsieur Weasel for starting the traditional weekend thread.

Missed the last one due to my step back in sobriety.

But I'm back baby I'm back! Looking forward to seeing my son and play outside with him sober.

What I like much about being sober? I HAVE TIME for everything that really counts.