Notices

A thread of hope for the weekenders! July 11-13

Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Calling all weekenders!!!!

I will be traveling to Acadia National Park next Thursday. Internet there will be sketchy.

Looking for someone to care for the weekend thread for the duration.

Let me know. I don't want to be in a situation of choice so the first that wants to host please post here.

I think I will get so many good pics from this coming weekend. Last weeks with the fog and the ships at dawn... I sent that out to be printed on canvas. Wow... Cannot wait for it to arrive!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by SigChiScooby View Post
Im IN for the weekend! Saturday I will be celebrating 4 months without alcohol!
Congrats on four months!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi everyone – the regulars and the newcomers! Can’t wait to spend the weekend with you!

I can relate to many posts above. I haven’t had a day yet where I didn’t think about alcohol. I am still pleasantly surprised when I look in the mirror each morning with clear eyes. I have the journal I wrote to myself the first three days after I quit in April between my mattress and box spring and keep it for those days I need a reminder of just how bad I felt when I quit.

I’ve had a lot of little moments where I say to myself “wow, I’m handling this sober” or just things that I notice I’m paying more attention to now that I’m not thinking about alcohol. When I hit 3 months I will have made it longer than I did on my last attempt so I am looking forward to that day - July 21.

Ruby, thank you for asking about my family- they are in Saratoga Springs – a bit away from Syracuse and they have had really bad storms too, but they are okay.

Weasel, you are going to a place that I have wanted to visit since I was a child. I hope you have a wonderful time and I know we can hold down the weekenders fort while we await pictures of your next sober adventure.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I got you covered for next weekend Weasel. It would an honor and a privilege.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!! I'm in!!

For me I was the proudest on my first Sunday morning, hangover free, it was a weekend and so it's quite fitting that I share the story on the Weekender thread!!

The previous Saturday morning as per usual I was dying a slow death, the hangover was brutal after a heavy friday night, a regular weekend sponsored by Guinness and Ireland's finest whisky, but as I sat there watching the sports results and drowning in self pity, as I always did, I thought I really need to sort myself out, but I'd said it all before, if my heart and mind had eyes, they'd having been rolling and saying, yeah yeah we've heard that one in the past.

This time though was different I decided to follow through, as the hangover subsided the usual text messages came through for that night's pub crawl and the thoughts of "I'm feeling a whole lot better, a drink would do no harm" started to enter my head, but instead I dug out a few dvds, logged onto SR and strapped myself in for a Saturday night without alcohol, plenty of green tea at the ready, the idea was to see what happens if I didn't drink? could it be done? let's find out.

Come Sunday morning I hadn't touched a drop, hadn't slept much but was hangover free!!

It only took that moment of freedom to realise this can be done, alcohol isn't in control of the situation anymore, Sobriety hands us the keys to our own lives!!

Let's then go for another hangover free weekend!!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Brain - you will be a great driver for next weekend's bus!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Weekenders - quick note to say that I am with you all for the weekend. Once again Weasel, Whoopee!!! The weekender thread is here. Thanks.

Newbies reading the weekender thread? This place is for you Please jump on the train.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Charle... Acadia is great.. Been a few times. Staying at a great place in Bar Harbor.

I will visit thunder hole... The rock formation is such that when a wave comes in the splash through with a loud thondoruse sound!

LB... Awesome! Will be fun to join in with your driving... Be very careful.. Olive will pull hair if Gilmer is in front... All good ... Lol

Whoop!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Postcard intermission!!!
And speaking of Brain....
He sent this card all the way from PA! A lovely covered bridge.
Thank you Brain! Loved getting the card in the mail!
Don't forget to collect a card or two on your travels, Weasel!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-258267215.jpg (63.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sure thing olive!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi all -

Ruby, it was a monster earthquake on Monday and it really had my heart pumping. News filtered in that 5 people died in the quake up in the mountains. Scary stuff, but all is back to normal in my city.

I remember a few years ago when I stopped showing up for work. I just didn't have it in me anymore - I could either drink my life away, or try and keep up the charade. I chose to drink my life away. Within 1.5 years I'd been to the hospital 3 times, and like Olive ended up in detox and somehow found a bed in a humble rehab facility. It took a while for things to click, but I am a survivor and made sure that I would start making the most of a healthy, happy life moving forward. I was in a huge hole starting out, but little by little I dug myself out. Newbies, you can do this.

Speaking of living a healthy lifestyle: today was one of our "good" market days down here. About 3 days per week (Sunday, Monday, Thursday) all the mountain farmers come to town and bring all their fruits and veggies. I bought loads of stuff (strawberries, papaya, pineapples, bananas, limes, avocados, potatoes, etc) and came home and made a smoothie in the blender. Here's a shot with just a small sampling of the goods:

Old 07-10-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Weasel - love Bar Harbor and Acadia. Have also been a few times. We've never splurged on a nice place to stay, but have always loved the hiking and atmosphere. Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Big S... The baskets in the back look interesting... What are they?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

I'm in for a ride on the weekend sober bus!! Luv you guys :-)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Applekat... You will be with me. I will send pics!

Staying at a place walking distance from town. Hope to eat my way through again!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Big S... The baskets in the back look interesting... What are they?
Various dried beans and grains.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi all...

Just over 14 months sober for me, and I remember the first restaurant meal after quitting. I was sober about 2 weeks and my husband and I went out for our anniversary. I remember I couldn't keep my hands still...I was so used to having a hand firmly gripping a wine glass before, and it was like I didn't know what els to do with them.

I also remember going out for our anniversary about 6 weeks ago and having such a wonderfully relaxed meal. Completely comfortable in my own sober skin:-).
Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

BigS I am glad you are okay. It must have been scary. I love the market post. My trip to the market on my visit to china was one of the most memorable and interesting things I did. It gives a better feel for where you are at.

Charlee, I'm glad your family is well. I got my geography wrong. Horse racing, right? I've only been to Rochester for a family reunion and NYC a few times. I'd like to visit upstate NY.

I typed this outpouring of stuff and somehow it got erased when I sidetracked to find a photo that a guy I used to work with posted on Facebook and since PK was talking sport, I thought someone else might get a chuckle.

I will check in in the morning. For now, one of the things I talked about in the missing share was not getting worn out and to know my limitations. So, good night.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Ruby,

Love that picture!!!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Ruby ,
that's a good one , knowing our limits and not getting worn out is important self care , i certainly had the enforced "rest" of a hangover usually, so had to learn how to stop and slow down a bit in recovery .
As my drinking got worse i didn't read as much , now i've quit i find reading good as a restful tool in my sobriety .

Nice to see everyone joining in to get through till monday.

An old adage says "early to bed , early to rise , makes you healthy , wealthy and wise"
no promises though

This weekend i might book into a hotel and have some quiet time by the sea . I think a bit of luxury and pampering is required .

Bestwishes, m