Notices

A thread of hope for the weekenders! July 11-13

Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

LTV, this is a non sequitur--but I just want to say I LOVE your avatar! My favorite color since I was a child!

An interesting sight this afternoon in the supermarket parking lot: a 1962 Continental convertible making a three-point turn to get out of its parking space and glide away. Actually, I'm sure it took up two spaces both in length and width! Amazing!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Sunday night here, almost time for bed!!

Great to have everyone onboard this weekend, plenty of new faces, plenty of the familiar faces, the aim of the game was to be Sober, if you slipped, not to worry, tomorrow is a new day, another 24hrs to pledge to Sobriety!!

Same time next week Weekenders!!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The 2010 version of The Tempest is on TBS at 9 if anyone needs a dose of Shakespear.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

I made it through another week sober. It's inspiring to hear about everyone's active lifestyles. I'm slowly becoming more motivated and sociable. Baby steps I guess. When visiting with a friend today I laughed really hard at a silly situation, a deep belly laugh that went on and on, and it caught me by surprise. I think it's the first time I've laughed like that since I quit drinking. Really thinking about it afterwards, I don't remember laughing like that when I wasn't drinking and out of my mind in a very long time. It felt good.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeitlasts View Post
Sorry folks, I can't seem to respond to a specific post when attempting too....it just tags on the end of the most recent post...must learn how....
It was the same for me when I started, I think if you just click on Quote and then reply it should work.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Closing out the weekend with lemon ice cream and raspberry swirls.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Thank God, thank SR and thank all you weekenders for getting me through my first sober weekend. I didn't think it was possible to stay sober for an entire weekend. Got lots of sleep and anticipate feeling alot better at work this week (I was detoxing at work last week.) I'll be looking for y'all next weekend. Thanks for your support.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Good night and/or day, Weekenders! Until next time ...
Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Congrats Battypatty! I always found that the weekends were harder than the week because there was so much free time. You got it under your belt and maybe next weekend will be easier following a week at work sober.

I'm folding laundry. That is another thing I found that helps. Mundane, mindless chores. Dishes, laundry,sweeping and vacuuming. Keep my hands occupied, I have to use some part of my brain but not much. Repetitive motion. There is something soothing about it. Except matching socks. That usually makes me angry because we are missing tons of socks.

So, good night everyone. See you all next weekend!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Good night to you as well ForgetfulKevin Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite. Ewww. See you next weekend.

I'm signing off the Weekend thread as well. Thanks so much to everyone for sharing a great sober weekend.

Thanks Weasel for starting another Weekender thread. This has been my sober sanctuary Enjoy Acadia. Look forward to pictures. BTW - I especially love the long weekends now like never before...more weekender thread reading. Yeee. Just thought I would add that tidbit.

Brain - keep it clean next weekend. Hah!

Olive - I bought postcard stamps!!! This is a huge development. Thanks for all the great postcard postings...love this.

Gilmer - green has been my favorite color since childhood as well. The kelp forest has a good story. One for sometime.

K. Until we meet again

**Goodnight Ruby! Just missed your post.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by rboonie1 View Post
I'd like to book a seat on the Bus for next weekend please, I was watching posts before and after the last one and I missed an opportunity to get help.
Your spot is secure RB!

In fact there is always room on our bus for everyone that wants one. *Ring Ring*
Old 07-14-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

It's getting to be a double decker bus Weasey!
(I'm still breathing while sticking my tongue out).
Old 07-14-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
It's getting to be a double decker bus Weasey!
(I'm still breathing while sticking my tongue out).
And it still looks silly. Put your tongue back in your mouth!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Today is Day 6!

Made it through the weekend, phew. Though I did find some good tips that worked well:
- Avoid people who are drinking
- Eat lots before hanging out with people who are drinking
- Ensure you have alternatives to drink - water, dealcoholized beer, and soda all worked well for me
- Let people know you are on the wagon, and then they quit offering you drinks

Survived at least 5 situations that would have normally triggered me to start drinking beer, including:
- Visiting friends who were drinking at a campfire
- Going boating
- Getting back from boating and BBQing
- Visiting more friends at a different campfire who were drinking
- Getting home, unpacking, and cooking dinner

My wife was nice enough to point out "Wow, it must be hard cooking dinner after getting home without a beer". I had to let her know it wasn't that bad until she pointed it out to me.

Regardless, after 5 whole days of not drinking, I do feel a bit tired (no alcohol-fueled adrenalin), but I have at least $30-40 more in my wallet, no headache, and nothing to apologize for.

Almost completed week #1, though there will be some mighty challenges this week too.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Well,
I made it. Cannot remember the last time I had a sober weekend.. Amazing how much I accomplished...
Old 07-14-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Way to go xxzx29bxx! First sober weekend for both of us.

Another great activity is to spend money, or think of ways to spend money as a reward for not drinking (this is what I did when I quit smoking). Look at luxury items that you can now afford with your booze money, such as a quad, snowmobile, or boat.

Seeing a tangible payoff and reward is something that can give you a bit more motivation to keep going during a weak moment.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

that's great news sparky, glad you were able to maintain,

congratulations too 29bxx, hope to see you both next weekend, and always if you are having trouble or just need to get something out...
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thanks LBrain,

Read your post, and glad all I had to worry about this weekend was not drinking. My wife has been supportive of this endeavor, and is actually tolerating me better (not worse) due to not drinking.

Keep up the good fight yourself. Not sure I could have made it through your weekend.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

sounds like everyone had a good weekend, I wasn't around a lot, my spouse apologized to me for being so mean to me all day yesterday.
I know that our partners are also going through changes and that they sometimes just don't understand. As long as I don't let it get to me and avoid a confrontation it passes and we get better in short time. In the past I would have blown up and got drunk. I maintained an even keel and survived. I was really mad about picking unripe peppers, but I didn't say much about it.
See you next weekend.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Glad you kept an even keel LBrain. You could have gotten yourself in a peck of trouble if you got pickeled over some picked peppers!