Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Notices

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Bring it on holiday weekend. I'm hunkered down at my family's house. Fridge stocked with watermelon, coconut water and ginger ale. Gummy bears in hand and will be glued to SR. I'm going to get back into my photography this weekend as well. Will share. So happy to be sharing this weekend with you my friends.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hey downtown nyc....I have noticed heightened senses alSo. Mainly for me, colors are brighter. It's weiRd, like the world is more beautiful. .. I wonder if others have that also.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Getting out to the lake with sober friends. Changing playgrounds and playmates sure has been a good move in my sobriety.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hawk07 - it's so good to hear you sounding so positive and upbeat. Life is good!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Missed tonight's 24hr sign up. It is a crazy weekend. Let it be sober! 2130 central time.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Saturday morning coffee is on .
I sat on the door step drinking it this morning listening to the soft patter of rain , everything looks washed and clean .

So a new day today , those of us who might have slipped, those of us who didn't , we all start from now …

m x
Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Magsie

Count me in, and mecanix it was far from soft patter last night here in the north, it was like a river running through our village, we're on top of a hill, so marvellous.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning weekenders! How are you all doing? I stayed busy yesterday and plan on doing the same today. I have a lot of cravings for many reasons but none are reasons to drink. Think about drinking yes. But they cannot be justified.

Today is a day trip up to Camden Maine. A picturesque town on the water. A place where if you were asked to describe what you know of a Maine seaside town you would picture this. I will snap a few and share.

A lot of new people to SR and the weekender thread. I want to send a warm welcome to you! SR is instrumental for me in my life. I have no support in person and it's all online. So welcome and glad you are joining in.

Ken
Old 05-24-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Sober Questers!

My back is a little achey this morning, so I took one of the Robaxin the doc gave me for it. It's a muscle relaxer. Hopefully I don't relax myself into a lazy day, there's stuff I want to do.

My oldest son (26) and his wife are here until Sunday. They live up in DC, but they had a wedding to attend this weekend, so they are down here with us for a few days. The guest room is over my shop, so I'll wait until 0530 before I start banging around out there. I think it is fairly well sound insulated, but I can wait a little while just in case.

I broke down and bought a cigar yesterday. Planning to make it last 2 days to taper off the nicotine. I gave up my carton-a-week cigarette habit 25 years ago, so I know it can be done. Another insipid addiction to be beaten.

There's some greatness in this thread already, and it's only Saturday.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Welcome to the new weekenders Downtown, I totally agree with everything being brighter and more vivid; I'm still continuously amazed at how much detail I had missed during my drinking days!

Celebrating my 18months today with taking my mom to the local Memorial Day Parade,maybe time to buy a few plants for the patio,and perhaps a dip in my parents pool depending on the temp (it is heated ). Although there may be some occasional showers in VT today, it is bright and sunny is my mind thinking about how long I've managed to stay sober. Happy day peeps!
Old 05-24-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning Weekenders. I hope everyone has wonderful and sober day.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Hawk07 View Post
Bring it on holiday weekend. I'm hunkered down at my family's house. Fridge stocked with watermelon, coconut water and ginger ale. Gummy bears in hand and will be glued to SR. I'm going to get back into my photography this weekend as well. Will share. So happy to be sharing this weekend with you my friends.
I look forward to seeing those photos Hawk. It is good to see you so upbeat. It is like you are a totally different person than the one you were when you first got here.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Ken, I've always wanted to go to Maine and I hear Camden is beautiful. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

My morning involved running into my yard, in my pjs in a quest to quiet down our dogs so my neighbors wouldn't mutiny. We have a young rabbit who has decided to make its warren in a pile of sticks and brambles in the back of our yard. In addition to my fabulous, Charlee, we are dog rescuers so we also have a beagle named Ellie Mae and a German Shorthair Pointer named Zeus. I'm 100 certain both were hunting dogs in their previous lives. So, the rabbit drives them crazy. They know its in there, but they can't get it. Hence, beagle and hound barking and baying anytime the rabbit moves or runs from our yard into its warren. The rabbit has been in our yard since it was a baby and I would have thought that after running for its life several times and having these dogs circle and dig at its home, it would have decided to move to another yard.

I guess there's a correlation in this story to my drinking. I knew I had to move on for years, but kept staying being chased by my demons and living in fear. Maybe the rabbit will wise up one day too. I'm glad I did and put down the wine bottle.

Here's to a super, sober Saturday!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oldselfagain View Post
When I first read this I thought it said STRIPPERS along the Jersey coast and I thought wow Brain you really do plan on enjoying the time off!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Charliesavedme - I had a German shorthand pointer and that dog caught every critter in our yard. Very loyal dog as well.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainmanjw View Post
Getting out to the lake with sober friends. Changing playgrounds and playmates sure has been a good move in my sobriety.
Hi all. Hope it is going well for everyone. So many great posts and comments from everyone - I don't know where to start.

rainmanjw: This is a good idea for all of us.

Welcome back ThePatMan!
Old 05-24-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Charliesavedme - I had a German shorthand pointer and that dog caught every critter in our yard. Very loyal dog as well.
Tang...they are wonderful dogs. Zeus had a hard life and when we rescued him he was starved and injured. 45 pounds and lots of love later, he's a healthy goofy and loving dog. Dogs show us the best in life..
Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Ken I've been having cravings too and no good (or bad) reason to entertain them. I've been doing double duty in here. Please post Camden pics. That sounds great.

Welcome to the newcomers. I have in person support but they aren't always available. Coming here let's me get my thoughts out and if I put thought into what I write it generally helps resolve the problem.

Any plans I have this weekend are on hold. My son woke last night crying and his ear hurt. He was awake until at least 3:30, as was I, and we have a 9:20 appt. with the pediatrician. If I were still drinking I wouldn't have heard him crying. If I had heard him I would likely have gotten out of bed to check and then have a little drink to calm myself and go back to sleep.

Time to get myself and daughter ready and then wake son.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charleesavedme View Post

Tang...they are wonderful dogs. Zeus had a hard life and when we rescued him he was starved and injured. 45 pounds and lots of love later, he's a healthy goofy and loving dog. Dogs show us the best in life..
We rescued a Great Dane and brought him back from the brink of starvation. Amazing how cruel people can be to animals.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Weirdly enough, I really don't have any apprehension about this weekend. A holiday didn't have any significant effect on my consumption in the past. I drank every day, regardless. All the things I want to take part in this weekend are possible because I'm not soused by noon.

Spent yesterday watching Indy 500 stuff...today I'll be on the road with a friend. Tomorrow, I'll be engrossed with motor racing (Monaco, Indianapolis, and the 600) and texting back and forth with my old man trading notes about Indy. Monday I'll be celebrating those who went before me and gave their lives to protect my freedoms. As a non-combat Navy vet, Monday is still remembered in the spirit of Decoration Day.

Not drinking, even with only about four weeks since my last relapse, is an empowerment, not a limitation.