Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Notices

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning folks! Off to work to do nothing but socialize. It is Friday right?!

I will remember every minute of this weekend. A really big one for me as my first sober Memorial Day.

I had long established traditional around this weekend in my household.

Tuesday before call the drug dealer and get my X lined up. A twenty pack and I had to consider if that was enough. With the holiday if you run out then you are stuck.

Prep at work to be out Friday early or all day. Then run home and change. Drop a hit. Drive to the bar. And let the games begin.

It was a terrible cycle of cheap whiskey in plastic jugs and drugs to alter who I am.

I love who I am and still sanding those edges enough to be interesting still but not so dull that they are boring.

Non!! 24 pounds is a lot! Conrpgrats. Bet Mrs. Non is loving it!

Off to work!

K
Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just woke up as it is thunderstorming here, raining cats and dogs. I have so much to do around the homestead...but if I get lazy its fine too.
Our weather has been cool, it feels like winter lasted 6 months, my heat still clicked on the other day...
I want Non's diet tips/tricks, he can keep the raccoons, I have my own, no real back pain but my left knee is very sore...I feel like a tv commercial where the guy cant stand it. The curcumen works as a reasonable substitute for part o f the alieve dosage.
Weasey, you be careful with the houseguests!
Remember the rule....company is like fish..after 3 days it starts to stink.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Miss Fandy.... Consider it noted! I will be fine. My turf.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm in gang! I've been feeling a bit down and in the dumps this week, but alcohol WILL NOT be my pick-me-up. Stay strong everyone as these long weekends, particularly this one that kicks off the summer, can be massive triggers. Check in early and often for support.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Never too early to start a weekender thread. Especially a long weekend!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

11 days sober for me. I don't think the weekend will be hard for me but I guess it sneaks up on you when you least expect it. I'll just keep squashing that AV in my head until it shuts up.

I live by the Atlantic ocean but one of the last things you want to do around here (being a sane person) is put yourself at the beach Memorial Day weekend. Maybe if I head further south along the coast to a state park area that might work but still....most things I would want to do this weekend are out so I'm probably just gonna stay in. I would want to go camping but that is also going to be near impossible at this point since that will be something loads of people will be doing and being loud and drinking.

I was gonna post a pic of St. Augustine beach at sunrise for you guys but I'd have to upload it and don't have time right now.

By the way this is the first time I've made it past day 7 in years. Day 7 was usually my downfall in the past but there is no way I am succumbing to the stupid voice in my head telling me it might be a good idea. You guys have really helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel. I may not be posting daily this week but I'm still plugging along.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon depending on where you are. Work today and tomorrow but get to leave early tomorrow which is a treat. Nephews birthday party tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it is the kids party for nine year olds. Time to get ready to rock and roll.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I want Non's diet tips/tricks
fencing and bear urine
Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Joining in! I just had 3 weekends sober and then blew it last Saturday night. Back on track at day 5 today. But what an upcoming weekend to be facing.

I'm creating an early morning plan for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to keep my eye on the prize - the prize of enjoying said plan SOBER which will be a million times better.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

11 days sober for me, which is the longest in a few years. This will be the first 3 day weekend sober in probably 20 years, so it'll be a huge milestone (which I'm also using for motivation). I'm planning on going for a few long bike rides, spending time with my kids, and finishing some projects I never have time to get done.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hang in there DeeBee. We are all here for the same thing.

I guess my son really wants that orange cat I mentioned last weekend thread. He handed me this picture this morning. If you can't read chicken scratch it says "i want the cat mom" maybe we will see if kitty is still available. But for now, I have to get ready for work. See everyone later. Don't overthink it. Plan and do!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

That is priceless, Ruby!
I would not be able to resist such a plea!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ruby - I'm not a cat guy, but that son of yours is a great marketing department!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

helluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu,
I decided to create a photo album. It is still in the works- I picked a few at random. But if you want to see a few photos I took not too long ago, check it out. Didn't want to take up space in thread with misc photos. Didn't screen them for quality either. Picking from thumbnails... oh the horror. So if you need to kill a little time this weekend or anytime, take a look. I'll add more - why not!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...in-albums.html
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Grateful to sign up for a sober long week-end
Old 05-22-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Beautiful pictures, Brain!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I just woke up as it is thunderstorming here, raining cats and dogs.
I love thunder storms.

If you have to go out be careful not to step in a poodle.

Sorry I had too!

Signing in too!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

The weather here in the Milwaukee area is supposed to be gorgeous. I have 2 parties to go to... alcohol will not be a part of either of them. They're both family and if anyone does drink, it will be wine or beer, neither of which EVER interested me. So I am not a bit concerned. I have lots of stuff planned to do and I'm so ready for the weekend I can hardly wait!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
nmd

Thinking of opening the pool this weekend, finishing my yard cleanup and recommitting myself to staying sober. Not attending any parties but I'm sure my neighbors will be drinking; my fridge is stocked with ginger ale. Normally my kids would be marching in the parade and would be home to give me a good distraction, but they will be traveling with their mother this weekend. :-(

I liked an idea in a post by Dee the other day referencing "urge surfing" as a way to manage urges, something I plan on trying out. Instead of just suffering through the urge to drink or trying to ignore it, take the time to acknowledge the urge, feel it, observe it from outside and then move on.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Urge Surfing - A Cool Skill » Dr George's Blog
Mindful Recovery and Relapse Prevention for the Holidays | Mindfulness and Psychotherapy

I really think getting through this weekend can be a turning point for me. I've certainly learned the failed moderation lesson many times over, time to be sober and happy with myself.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
fencing and bear urine
That is some unusual diet advice! Unless you are a deer, and eat too many shrubberies